just got an implant

nichola

Reaction score
hi guys and gals
i got implanted over a week ago and my switch on is on friday 8th.
im curious to hear what ur opioions are with regards to continue wearing my other hearing aid or weather to keep it out to get my implant to adjust faster.
what do u think? is it true that u adjust faster if u do not wear the hearing aid in the other ear ?
hope u can help
nichola

Wear only the new implant, so your brain focuses on that ear. If you wear both, the hearing aid will try get the brain's attention and take over your newly implanted ear.

More importantly, ask your audi (they are your first priority on everything) about this question and more advices on what to do in the first few months after you get switched on.

Good luck! :)

Hey Nicola, my audi said that I can only wear the CI for first 2-3 months, she agreed that I can use the HA just in an emergencies like airports or things like that if needed so I can understand what is being said to me, I'm planning to wear it when I fly back home after my activation if the CI is not working for me much yet, we will see
The audi explained it as to keep the implanted ear the only ear and get trained to hear with the CI and that will expedite the adjustment and give faster results

Best of luck with your upcoming activation! It may take some getting used to.

Hi Nichola: From my experience the biggest surprise when activated will be the amount of sounds you will hear that you didn't before. It does take time for you to get used to this. Give yourself lots of time and ask your audi-every question when you visit. Based on what you say-mapping will assist you quicker. Remember you are the only comparison to you-it doesn't matter if I had 5 mapping sessions to say your 6.

Good luck in your hearing journey with your new Cochlear Implant.

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

Back