Just got accepted to Interpreter program, any advice?

Nanelle

Reaction score
I just got accepted to an Interpreter program at George Brown college in Toronto, and I know a few others here are enrolled in the same program. Any advice on ways to prepare/things I should know before I get started? I'm really excited, this is something I've been wanting to do for almost 20 years! Hope I get to meet some of you there!

toronto terp prep

Glad to know you are excited about it. It can be rewarding. But canadian terps must be ready to set up between the pipes and stop a few pucks to be accepted

what exactly do you mean? I'm prepared to work hard and I know it's a job that I'll really enjoy, even if it takes some time to establish a career :)

what exactly do you mean? I'm prepared to work hard and I know it's a job that I'll really enjoy, even if it takes some time to establish a career :)

He means you will be interpreting for deaf hockey players. On the ice...

^^^^^^^ That was a good one! I didn't get it until you explained it! Love it! :D

He means you will be interpreting for deaf hockey players. On the ice...

hahahahaha awesome :P Actually already kind of done that, but substitute 'lacrosse' for 'hockey'! Both awesome sports!

Would it be beneficial to take a level 1 ASL class before starting the program? They teach ASL 1 in the first semester but I thought, hey, might not be a bad idea?

...Would it be beneficial to take a level 1 ASL class before starting the program? They teach ASL 1 in the first semester but I thought, hey, might not be a bad idea?
I don't know about your program but my ITP required taking and passing ASL 1-4 levels before even being eligible for the interpreter program.

I don't know about your program but my ITP required taking and passing ASL 1-4 levels before even being eligible for the interpreter program.

hmm, ok that's really good to know...I think this program is a bit different in that the Interpreter program is 3 years long with an optional 1 year "precursor" program (which is what I'll be starting with)...it basically covers ASL 1 and 2, a few courses on Deaf Culture, and the basic start-up courses for college like English, Computer Skills etc. After you complete that program you're eligible to apply for the 3 year program, which is my intention. I know that to do the 3 year program you have to have a serious knowledge of ASL, something like a bare minimum of 200 hours of documented instruction or along those lines. I'm excited to start, might take a night class just so I don't have to wait so long!

Ha, just reading this. Nanelle, you and I will be in the Deaf Studies program together, awesome!!!!!! :-D
The 3 year Interpreter program is acceptance by challenge receptive/expressive interview, I think. So we will be applying and basically "auditioning", to show that we have enough ASL to handle the 3 year program, it sounds quite intense.
But I don't really want to think about that right now, or I will panic. lol

Hello to you both. I'm a second-year terp student at GBC. This post popped up on Google just today; sorry I'm late to the party. Hopefully I can guide you both with some basic info.

Nanelle, the "pre-cursor" program (C114), affectionately known as "ADSP", is very strongly recommended by the department. It's direct instruction in ASL, gestures, Deaf Culture classes, computers, English, and so on. The program is very comprehensive, and is excellent for beginners. Welcome aboard!

Honey.Toronto, you're right - there is a screening to get into the ASL-English Interpreter Program (AEIP, C110). You will receive more information about it as you go through ADSP, but in a nutshell, it's to objectively evaluate your ASL and English skills, as well as get a sense of who you are. Don't stress about it just yet! :)

Registration takes place roughly in mid-July. ADSP usually accepts about 80 students, and splits them up into smaller groups of 20. Your books will be waiting for you in the bookstore, but if you can buy 'em used... go for it! There are lots of other little things to know too, but these will all be explained to you by your teachers.

Go into it with an open mind and a positive attitude, and you'll be fine. :D

Good luck!

Thanks, greenstudent! Are most of the people in the program fresh out of high school, or is it a mix?

It's a mix of students right out of high school, transfers from other colleges, transfers from universities, and some returning students. There are usually a few students who have families too.

This makes for an interesting dynamic because, while everyone is studying the same thing, people approach it in very different ways.

At the end of August, there will be an orientation day. You'll most likely be notified by snail mail of the exact day, time, and location.

Back