Just getting started, CT scan next week

Sweetiepea77

Reaction score
Hello, I posted awhile back about our son that we adopted and now that we are officially back in the US, we are trying to get him the help he needs. We have unsuccessfully tried to get him a hearing test three times, but each time something else was found that is wrong. He was severely neglected in his young life (he is 4 now, with no language), and had a severe illness that attacked his inner ear, leaving him with no ear drum on the right side, and the left side is collapsed against his cochlea (he went in for tubes this week and that is what the ENT found- they initially thought it was fluid). He goes Tuesday for a CT scan of his cochlea. The ENT said he will likely need bone conduction hearing aids.

Can anyone give me any advice of what our possiblities can be from this point? We are hoping to get a hearing test after the CT scan.

Hello, First I hope all goes well with the little fellow. Hopefully he will have good bone conduction and will be able to do well with them. I had hearing aids for over 50 years but I did not need them until I was in my 20's. three years ago they would no longer give me the benefit I needed. I was one of the lucky ones and I now have cochlear implants on both sides. I now have about 80% comprehension and can attend meetings etc. again. Had occasion a few months ago to meet a college student that was majoring in music and lo and behold she was born deaf. she had cochlear implants at a very young age and one would never know she was deaf. Fantastic what can be done nowadays. Your to be commended for adopting the youngster and giving him a chance for a good life. I was adopted myself so speak from experience. I have known I was adopted for as long as I can remember. I have also adopted twin girls and they are now in there '50's :) and told them they were adopted before they even knew what It meant. Again good luck

Bone conduction loss is more easily helped than sensorineural, they might start talking about bahas.

The ENT said he would need to be older for BAHAs. He has mixed hearing loss and the audiologist said b/c of the type of loss he has, he will always need sign language as a primary language. They are researching and contacting others in the field to see what else they may be able to do... but his type of loss is not common at all in the US.

Back