Just for my own clarification.

dorothy5664

Reaction score
The more time I spend at AD, the more questions I find I have. One thing I have learned about the Deaf Culture is that they don't feel their deafness is a disability. As a result, why do so many feel that they deserve the protections that the IDEA offer to people with disabilities.

Once again, this is one of those questions that probably sounds rude, but that is no way my intention.

Because hearing people wont be willing to meet our deaf needs if we didnt have those laws. They will put us in environments that disables us due to not willing to spend the money on visual modifications. Environments in which language, communication, and information that are made visible and fully accessible, we dont feel disabled.

It is a shame that we have to create laws to have the same equal rights to language, communication and information that hearing people automatically have. It shouldnt have to be like that but it is cuz of greed or ignorance.

Hope that makes sense.

Shel,

That is pretty much what I had thought. Thank you so much for your response, you are always so helpful and patient with your answers. Sometimes I am cautious about asking too many questions as I am not always sure how my questions will be received.

Shel,

That is pretty much what I had thought. Thank you so much for your response, you are always so helpful and patient with your answers. Sometimes I am cautious about asking too many questions as I am not always sure how my questions will be received.

YW

Feel free to ask away...I can promise u that some will not like them while others dont mind. Cant always make everyone happy at all times. :)

I don't feel disabled except that I don't have strength in my left arm/hand due to birth. But, I'm thankful for the ADA and the fact that I'm one of many deaf/hoh people that has a hearing dog for extra help. :)

The more time I spend at AD, the more questions I find I have. One thing I have learned about the Deaf Culture is that they don't feel their deafness is a disability. As a result, why do so many feel that they deserve the protections that the IDEA offer to people with disabilities.

Once again, this is one of those questions that probably sounds rude, but that is no way my intention.

Helps my husband and many others to have a job that otherwise they may not.

So not a disability that prevents doing things, but many people won't give a chance.

Because hearing people wont be willing to meet our deaf needs if we didnt have those laws. They will put us in environments that disables us due to not willing to spend the money on visual modifications. Environments in which language, communication, and information that are made visible and fully accessible, we dont feel disabled.

It is a shame that we have to create laws to have the same equal rights to language, communication and information that hearing people automatically have. It shouldnt have to be like that but it is cuz of greed or ignorance.

Hope that makes sense.

I can only agree with Shel on this! She always finds the right words :D

Jamie

Well the ADA is about 80% on accessbility, Building access etc. very few deaf-related. IDEA provides terps. Same for Section 504.

I can only agree with Shel on this! She always finds the right words :D

Jamie

:ty:

The ADA is not 100% perfect...still has several loopholes which leaves many of us without the modifications we desperately need to give us the equal access to everything that most hearing people take for granted.

:ty:

The ADA is not 100% perfect...still has several loopholes which leaves many of us without the modifications we desperately need to give us the equal access to everything that most hearing people take for granted.

Yup! Still waiting for Prez Obama to improve the ADA but am sure that he will get around to it someday since he has more important priorities to do right now.

Yup! Still waiting for Prez Obama to improve the ADA but am sure that he will get around to it someday since he has more important priorities to do right now.

He has at least replaced the Supreme Court Justices that were violating the intent of the ADA everytime they turned around! That's a big step right there.

True. The real success and change comes from the people who are constantly working to make it better and not politicians.

He has at least replaced the Supreme Court Justices that were violating the intent of the ADA everytime they turned around!
I missed this one. Who has Obama replaced that violated ADA?

He has at least replaced the Supreme Court Justices that were violating the intent of the ADA everytime they turned around! That's a big step right there.

Who has been replaced, jillio?

Shell you answered the question very well. I was going to say something along those lines.
As a Deaf person myself, I do not consider myself to be disabled but others do and treat me accordingly.

when life hands you lemons, make lemonade...and god do I try!

Back