Just a Random Observation..

Namaste

Reaction score
Hi all!
I made an observation about myself yesterday, and just thought it was interesting. Growing up, because of my dad, i always was into classic rock and 80's music, but over the years as my hearing has gotten worse, my taste in music has also changed imensely. Im my head i still am a fan of classic hard rock like aerosmith and van halen, but nowadays it sounds like undecipherable noise lol. Over the years ive gotten into more folktype-music with a lot of acoustic guitar and some dance music for the beat, it's definitely one thing i miss though is listening to hard rock without it sounding like a mutilated jumbled mess :laugh2: lately ive been enjoying Mumford and Sons though the volume has to be LOUD they are kinda quiet in some songs, and Florence and the Machine. I just dont like music that is noise overload lol i still love me some pink floyd though :3
I find it so funny and surprising too that over the years my liking for rap music has actually increased, some songs i just really enjoy the beat whether i can understand what they are saying or not! Haha :giggle:

Kelsey

Last edited:
Music was fairly important to me at one time, Kelsey. Then, I started wearing hearing aids. That just ruined if for me! It isn't as tho' I benefited much listening to it with the aids out. I thought I was just done with music about that time.

Songs that I thought I knew and enjoyed, I no longer recognized. That . . . is kind of disappointing.

A couple years ago, I did kind of a crazy thing. I went back to my roots. For me, that was back when I was a kid and thought that Booker T & the MG's were the greatest thing on the radio and probably even had a few 45's of their songs. Well, I went off in another direction but always like that bluesy sound. I was curious what happened to those guys and the music they made.

To give you an idea of about when I completely lost track of those guys -- interest in Booker T & the MG's dropped during the late 60's & 70's. But, the MG's teamed up with Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi to form the "Blues Brothers." I didn't even recognize them when I saw them on Saturday Night Live or in their movie. Of course, the Blues Brothers started out playing music from the 50's! By the time the Blues Brothers got to much else, my hearing was so bad that I was no longer bothering to listen.

So, there they were in that retro-group, the Blues Brothers. I didn't really re-discover them until 2010 :D . Oh well . . . but, I asked myself, "Where had they been - up until then? Where else were they in the 80's? And, where were those other guys from Stax Records that I used to listen to?"

So, instead of trying to regain the music I was listening to in the 60's & 70's, I went back and listened to what Steve Cropper and Donald Dunn (the MG's) were doing thru those years . . . and, who they were doing it with. It was fun! I even discovered that I'd missed these guys playing with the people I was listening to like Eric Clapton. Mostly, it led me back to Memphis blues and the blues of the deep South and Texas. Yeah, I'd missed just about all of that just about forever.

I still don't know much about the music but when I have some time and I'm in the mood, I like to stream some online music thru the headphones. You know, the Kings of the Blues. People like BB King, Albert King & Freddy King!

:cool2:.

Try using an FM system with your aid. Depending on your loss you might be able to hear the music well enough. I have profound loss, but I can still listen to 80's music. It's harder to hear lyrics now with my hearing, but my brain fills in what I can't make out because I memorized the songs.

Im ok with change, i like my taste in things to evolve. I just think its funny when my boyfriend listens to van halen and think hmmm hot for teacher didnt sound quite like a jumbled mass of guitars and drums when i was 10 XD whatever i just headbang to it with him in the car anyways! :rockon: lol :laugh2:

Does this work? (It doesn't sound anything like what I remember but . . . that's okay):

Click and if it works, put your headphones on :) .

I am also finding that much of the rock music from when I was a teen is too harsh for my ears. I went back a few years, and downloaded some Buddy Holly. Now that pleases!! Mamas and Papas are mostly smooth enough. Classical of course is good, including Gregorian Chant.

You know, the Kings of the Blues. People like BB King, Albert King & Freddy King!
That might be good, too. I will check it out!

It was a different "King" :) in the link.

A lot of people covered the song.

B.B. King did too :) Grooveshark tells me.

Hi all!
I made an observation about myself yesterday, and just thought it was interesting. Growing up, because of my dad, i always was into classic rock and 80's music, but over the years as my hearing has gotten worse, my taste in music has also changed imensely. Im my head i still am a fan of classic hard rock like aerosmith and van halen, but nowadays it sounds like undecipherable noise lol.

Kelsey

Oh yes, I've noticed that, too. I can not hear well a lot of what I used to listen to,
or what is current played simply because of those lost frequencies.

darn :(

Fuzzy

Yeah, damn those lost frequencies lol i am a big fan of music though, but not compared to my hearing friends who are musicians haha i just cant listen to things as technically as them and tell when small nuances in the music and such, but i LOVE when they play in person :) nothing like just standing there and literally feeling the noise hit you ^_^

Kelsey

Over the years (I'm 46), I've not noticed a drop in my hearing. My hearing curve seems to hold on. Now, of course, my hearing aids degrade, so when I have gotten analogs in the past, it's like, "Wow, dayum! I can hear THAT!"

I listened to Silent Night today. It was unrecognizable for the 1st minute or so.

Whether it sounded pleasant or not, it would be hard for me to say. It was an instrumental and wasn't offensive. No, I think that some music is really too subtle for me to appreciate. I tried to focus on something else while the song was playing.

I have learned that it is best for me to not know the music, or think that I know it. When I don't really recognize that music, there is a certain frustration that kind of wells up in me.

I am happier to go exploring . . .

My boyfriend and i walk every day :)
id rather be outside than listen to music any day, speaking of which i want to buy a book about constellations, ive always had an interest in them, but i want to learn about the less obvious and well known ones

Depending on your loss you might be able to hear the music well enough.
It just depends. My loss is more in the high frequencies, but my HA's do a good job in giving that back to me= therefore I crave it. Like female Gregorian chant (Hildegarde of Bingen). I followed advice, and checked out Stevie Wonder, Neville Brothers, more Irish folk (playing now), and Russian folk and classic. Still groovin on Buddy Holly :D Andres Segovia also pleases my ears.

Wow!

What a range of music! More power to ya :)!

Much of the music I listen to, I might have listened to 20 or 30 years ago - but didn't. It is very similar to what I did listen to years ago but kind of, one off ;).

There are still people making this blues guitar music. This guy, Corey Stevens can do it almost like B.B. King. But, here is a little something country that he did just a couple of years ago, The Dreaming Man.

Sorry, but my computer is not set up for audio. I am only using MP3 right now. :dunno2:

My tastes have not really changed. As a child I love the doo wop sound, and I was big into Opera in my teens, discovered a love for Classical/Latin guitar and Spanish pop in my 20's, I fell hard for Tango and Jazz. I must be an oddity because I still love it all with the same passion I had as a child and teen. All music is wonderful really, and I love everything....except rap.

Laura

Rap :roll: So agreed.

So even those of us who have later loss, and cannot hear the intricacies we heard as kids and teens, prefer what people who always have had a loss prefer? Interesting insight, Lau.

A wide variety on my MP3 keeps me on my toes. I never know what is coming up next.:giggle:

Back