Just a few questions...

tegumi

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post and I just had a few questions... Im a hearie and am taking ASL in college and absolutely love it. I wanted to take this class because i work with a guy who is Deaf, and even though he can lipread at what seems like 100% and he speaks very clearly, I want to be able to communicate with him in ASL, because it seems sometimes like he isnt getting what I am saying. I have mentioned to him that I am learning sign, but I havent actually signed with him. I was wondering if it is acceptable to just walk up to him, and start a conversation in ASL. Could this be embarrassing for him, or make it look like I am trying to be funny? I was also wondering how are hearies accepted at Deaf events, especially hearies who only know a little sign like me. Are they considered outsiders? Kinda like foreigners, or are they socially accepted? Thanks!

tegumi said:
Hi, This is my first post and I just had a few questions... Im a hearie and am taking ASL in college and absolutely love it. I wanted to take this class because i work with a guy who is Deaf, and even though he can lipread at what seems like 100% and he speaks very clearly, I want to be able to communicate with him in ASL, because it seems sometimes like he isnt getting what I am saying. I have mentioned to him that I am learning sign, but I havent actually signed with him. I was wondering if it is acceptable to just walk up to him, and start a conversation in ASL. Could this be embarrassing for him, or make it look like I am trying to be funny? I was also wondering how are hearies accepted at Deaf events, especially hearies who only know a little sign like me. Are they considered outsiders? Kinda like foreigners, or are they socially accepted? Thanks!

Welcome to Alldeaf! :D

Every person or group will respond differently...I'm sure most events held and run by Deaf individuals will welcome hearing people with the exception of having a small number of events being strictly attended by the deaf only. Usually when a deaf person sees a hearing person either struggling with signing or knows how to use it fluently, they'll usually be courteous and open, a sure sign of having the gestures of being friendly...yet, sadly, there are times when a few deaf people won't tolerate having hearing people around.

As for walking up to the person you've mentioned of, I'm convinced he'll be glad to strike up a conversation with you while using ASL...if you're still struggling with signing or simply know very little, when you make a point of this such as indicating that you know 'a little', like the person you speak of as well as for others, they'll go easy on you and surely this will brighten their day as well! :D

Bottom line, we're just as human as you are! ;)

Hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD!!

I've found that most deaf folks give me 'an A for effort' when I start a conversation. I've come a long way in learning to sign, but still have challenges to work through.

Be honest in admitting where you stand in the 'signing world'. I've found deaf people to be VERY willing to help, particularly in certain circumstances. I've spent most of my time learning to sign with a deaf co-worker. He had noone to talk to, and was plenty happy to teach me. He's become one of my closest friends.

I think what you're doing is a good thing, and have never met a deaf person who wouldn't agree. It won't be easy for either of you, but can pay major dividends. I know my life is richer since I learned to sign. I feel like I've discovered 'buried treasure' in the deaf people who have come into my life.

Keep at it!

brianb

Thank you for your answers! I was really curious about this subject because I also can speak Japanese, because once I finish college I want to be an interpreter. One thing I have noticed with Japanese people though, although they are one of the friendliest people I have met, and they love it when non Japanese people can speak their language, but they have little tolerance for people who are struggling or less fluent, and they will often give up, or just walk away... Now I think I can actually build up the courage to sign with my coworker, now that you guys have reassured me that he probably wont laugh in my face or turn me away!! :ty:

Tegumi

Teg,

I think it is awesome that you are sensitive to your co worker's communication needs and even went far to learn ASL so that he would not feel isolated at iworkplace. I wish that there are more folks like you out there!

He may be an excellent lipreader but excellent lipreaders only get about 20 to 30 percent of what is being said and the rest is guesswork. I would guess that he would be relieved that he does not have to strain so hard to catch the gist of what you are saying to him. Signing would ease the strain for him.

I doubt that he would feel offended. Quite the contrary, I am sure that he will feel honored that you went this far to meet his needs. He may act embarrassed at first but will see that you are really motivated. In no time, you guys will be signing.

Regarding your other question about how the deaf folks will accept your little fluency in signing, I can safely assure you that the majority of deaf folks will be patient with you and be glad to help you out so that you can become more fluent.

I cant speak for a few who might lose patience - that will happen but don't let a few rotten apples ruin it all for you!

Best of luck on your new quest!

Back