Just a bit miffed tonight. >:(

Phi4Sius

Reaction score
Why is it a lot of the stuff I want to do requires perfect hearing?

Skydiving.
Flying an airplane as a pilot.
Be a police officer
Be part of the military/army/airforce/etc.

I'm at the point in my life where I want to pursue many if not all these things, but the problem: they all require perfect hearing without hearing aids.

WTF?! Why? :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Skydiving requires perfect hearing? That's a first I have heard of it.

Flying a plane does not always require perfect hearing. Many deaf pilots in US can fly small planes.

The jumbo plane have text messaging system in the cockpit that a deaf pilot could use, and yet deaf pilots are deemed a liability in this instance.

Skydiving.
Be a police officer

I'm at the point in my life where I want to pursue many if not all these things, but the problem: they all require perfect hearing without hearing aids.

My profoundly deaf friend who has no hearing at all, did a skydive for charity, of course you can do it!!

Yeah, I went to the skydiving website...and their requirements state:

Skydive Perris | FAQ - Skydive San Diego, Los Angeles Skydiving, San Diego Skydiving, Indoor Skydiving, California Skydiving, Skydiving in Los Angeles, California Drop Zone, Southern California Skydiving, Skydive California, Skydiving in California,

"If you have ear or sinus problems, experience seizures, fainting spells or have a weak heart, you should not be jumping. If you are in any doubt, please check with your doctor. We will require a release from your doctor if you have any kind of medical condition."

Hearing: FAA Medical Problem List

My better right ear is around (don't have my audiogram handy so these may be slightly off) 60-70 dB @ 500Hz, 60-70 dB @ 1,000 Hz, 80-90 dB @ 2,000 Hz, and 90 dB > below from 3,000 Hz down. My worst, left ear is totally deaf, unable to be aided by a hearing aid, and I don't qualify for a CI.

Blast it. I'll just get a tattoo. :cool2: :cool2:

Skydiving.
Be a police officer

skydiving = I went skydiving 3x already to train for skydiving license. There are many deaf skydivers - Deaf Skydivers

Flying a plane as pilot = you can get a pilot license but because of deafness - we are limited to non-radio flight... which means - we are not qualified to use radio communication... which means we have to stay away from commercial airport zones which is not a problem since over 70% of airports in America does not have radio tower. But the exemption to that is to have a hearing copilot.

Police Officer = well sux

Be part of military = yes you can as civilian personnel or defense contractor

Skydive Perris | FAQ - Skydive San Diego, Los Angeles Skydiving, San Diego Skydiving, Indoor Skydiving, California Skydiving, Skydiving in Los Angeles, California Drop Zone, Southern California Skydiving, Skydive California, Skydiving in California,

"If you have ear or sinus problems, experience seizures, fainting spells or have a weak heart, you should not be jumping. If you are in any doubt, please check with your doctor. We will require a release from your doctor if you have any kind of medical condition."

My better right ear is around (don't have my audiogram handy so these may be slightly off) 60-70 dB @ 500Hz, 60-70 dB @ 1,000 Hz, 80-90 dB @ 2,000 Hz, and 90 dB > below from 3,000 Hz down. My worst, left ear is totally deaf, unable to be aided by a hearing aid, and I don't qualify for a CI.

"Ear problems"

That's referring to ear infections and balance problems like vertigo. Not actual deafness.

I will look at the FAA later.

Well, I'm disqualified from Skydiving - I weigh too much. :hmm:

Jiro wrote:
Flying a plane as pilot = you can get a pilot license but because of deafness - we are limited to non-radio flight... which means - we are not qualified to use radio communication... which means we have to stay away from commercial airport zones which is not a problem since over 70% of airports in America does not have radio tower. But the exemption to that is to have a hearing copilot.

But it is possible to get a pilot license for private non-radio flight in say single engine aircraft or other small pilot craft? Awesome!!

Souggy wrote:
"Ear problems"

That's referring to ear infections and balance problems like vertigo. Not actual deafness.

I will look at the FAA later.

Well, then I'm out on that too. I used to have major vertigo problems (which stopped a couple years ago) and I have a tendency to get vertigo on a regular basis. I'm probably disqualified on that basis (along with my weight - which I admit I need to lose) as well.

Well, I'm disqualified from Skydiving - I weigh too much. :hmm:
oh... I see... well then.... get a gym membership :giggle:

But it is possible to get a pilot license for private non-radio flight in say single engine aircraft or other small pilot craft? Awesome!!
no. wrong word. not "possible." It's DOABLE. We have a deaf ADer here who is both a pilot and plane mechanic. I can do it. My deaf friend can do it. The only question here is - "you got cash?" :lol:

Jiro wrote:
oh... I see... well then.... get a gym membership

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is probably a good idea haha!

Jiro wrote:
no. wrong word. not "possible." It's DOABLE. We have a deaf ADer here who is both a pilot and plane mechanic. I can do it. My deaf friend can do it. The only question here is - "you got cash?" :lol:

Re: the cash - nope. Gonna have to wait until I can come up with some money to do so. But that's awesome. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is probably a good idea haha!
:lol: good luck!

Re: the cash - nope. Gonna have to wait until I can come up with some money to do so. But that's awesome. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :D :D :D
Just a little advice - whatever the hobby (expensive one) you like.... pick one. It's realistic that way because it's expensive and it's time-consuming. I picked motorcycling over skydiving.

Flying will cost you between $2,000-$4,000 for classes, test, etc. After that... you can rent a plane or buy a small plane which is usually around $120,000 ~ $250,000.... plus insurance, hangar rental, and fuel.

Skydiving will cost you between $1,000-$3,000 for classes, rent, etc. After that.... parachute costs about $1,000 but you need to buy a couple of essential safety devices like altimeter watch ($$$$).

so it's best to pick one and then completely invest in it for rest of your life.

Skydiving.
Be a police officer

Relax ..... breathe in ... breathe out ...... ;)

I understand how you feel. However, I have a friend who is a pilot who is teaching me how to fly. He flies for Federal Express and is a flight instructor too.

The only time you need your hearing to fly is if you take off/land at an airport that has a communication tower or break an elevation of ***I think*** 18,000 feet.

There are far more airports in the U.S. that do not have communication towers. So ... its possible for folks like you and I to fly without making our arms tired ;)

http://www.deafpilots.com/

Skydiving.
Be a police officer

wHERE THERE IS A DOOR CLOSED, THERE IS A WINDOW OPENED.
DONT LIMIT YOURSELF....WANT TO GO SCUBA DIVING???
IT'S THE BEST SPORT FOR THE DEAF, OTHER THAN VOLLEYBALL.

I cant imagine requiring perfect hearing to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, :lol: jk.

I have to admit you have some expensive hobbies, but as Jiro recommended, pick one and invest in it for the rest of your life. As for the cash flow, no worries, a lot of us here don't have that big of a cash flow, so we just try to find a cheaper alternative such as instead of getting skydiving license to dive by yourself, why not skydive with one of those skydiving tour companies where you dive attached to an instructor that does everything for you? All you have to do is just hang on for dear life and pray the dude knows what they're doing. :lol:

As for being a deaf pilot, I thought the only time you needed hearing was for military/commercial flights and as mentioned above stay away from zones that require tower communications. I would check with the FAA and local authorities to be 100% sure.

Good luck.

you can skydive if your deaf.. if you go to Perris just ask for Dan B-C (he's the manager) he knows me deaf skydiver / amputee tell him you want to skydive and they can set you up.. instead of radio's they use arrow on ground and flag / paddles for landing..

see deafskydivers.org

flying? you can fly airplanes too... I own a Cessna 172 fly it all the time in fact I'm flying it to New Mexico Friday. I'm deaf and left arm amputee. and no I do not use the voice radios in airplane...other radios are used for navigation, and radar services (transponder set to 1200 1200 means flying visual flight rules no commication it will show up on air traffic control radar with my heading / alitude / speed)

check out deafpilots.com

Mike

I cant imagine requiring perfect hearing to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, :lol: jk.

I have to admit you have some expensive hobbies, but as Jiro recommended, pick one and invest in it for the rest of your life. As for the cash flow, no worries, a lot of us here don't have that big of a cash flow, so we just try to find a cheaper alternative such as instead of getting skydiving license to dive by yourself, why not skydive with one of those skydiving tour companies where you dive attached to an instructor that does everything for you? All you have to do is just hang on for dear life and pray the dude knows what they're doing. :lol:

As for being a deaf pilot, I thought the only time you needed hearing was for military/commercial flights and as mentioned above stay away from zones that require tower communications. I would check with the FAA and local authorities to be 100% sure.

Good luck.

FAA does have a web site on deaf pilots / training etc.
Deaf Pilot Frequently Asked Questions

Relax ..... breathe in ... breathe out ...... ;)

I understand how you feel. However, I have a friend who is a pilot who is teaching me how to fly. He flies for Federal Express and is a flight instructor too.

The only time you need your hearing to fly is if you take off/land at an airport that has a communication tower or break an elevation of ***I think*** 18,000 feet.

There are far more airports in the U.S. that do not have communication towers. So ... its possible for folks like you and I to fly without making our arms tired ;)

Deaf Pilots Association

your correct you must be in radio communication any time above 18000 MSL also you must have a IFR rating.

:lol: good luck!

Flying will cost you between $2,000-$4,000 for classes, test, etc. After that... you can rent a plane or buy a small plane which is usually around $120,000 ~ $250,000.... plus insurance, hangar rental, and fuel.

Skydiving will cost you between $1,000-$3,000 for classes, rent, etc. After that.... parachute costs about $1,000 but you need to buy a couple of essential safety devices like altimeter watch ($$$$).

flying to get a private pilots license will cost around $5000-8000 now days, you can rent aircraft for around $125 per flight hour. (time aircraft engine is running) your wrong on cost of plane.. I bought my Cessna 172 for $40K

skydiving will cost you about $250.00 per jump for first 4 jumps on AFF around 150 next 4 or 5 jumps to complete you AFF (Accelarated freefall) training

new parachute rig main / reserve / contanor / ADD will run around $6000 to $8000 used? 1500 - to $5000 depending on date / age and number of jumps on canopy.

Back