John's Story: Deaf, Gay, HIV +, Proud

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got e.mail..... wow.. interesting!!!....

John tells his story of being a deaf, gay man in South Africa, and how he found out he was HIV positive. He uses sign language to tell his story. John describes the difficulties of communicating with a doctor, and the discrimination he's faced within the deaf community as an HIV positive gay man.

Interesting.. his sign language different but there's close caption ;)

John's Story: Deaf, Gay, HIV+, Proud | Stories for Change

Wow interesting! I know there's lot of people had problem with the HIV and AIDS in Africa due to not being clean enough, I felt so sorry for those people in Africa..

But this guy, John is really amazing and brave to stand up for his gayness, HIV postitive, and Deaf. He must had a pretty tough life, also I was so shock that South Africa legalized the same-sex marriage!

Oh, wow... I can see that he is very courage man for standin' up like this and face through this difficult times. I hope that he is doing well throughout at the end. I know it is tough because, deaf people in Africa don't receive much education like we do in America.....

Thanks for sharing this video with us. :)

What a marvelous posting. I've passed this onto tens of people. I like the South African sign for "proud" (similar to the American sign for "proud") though with a better sign ending.

Mod's note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

ATTA BOY! Don't let them bring you down.

I have a close friend who is gay and HIV+. At first glance you would think he is a bum, but no, he's had an amazing life. Maybe one of these days I will ask him to write down his story to share here. I think it is worth sharing.

WOW!!! He is sure brave to share his experiences in the video. And no matter who he is, he is just proud of it!!! Africa's sign is sure interesting!!

I am sorry for :topic: My old classmate is Deaf, Gay and HIV positive. He got it from his gay boyfriend. That's sad!

Hate to go ot from the thread here, but wouldn't it just be AWKWARD if he got it from his straight boyfriend? :giggle:

I haven't ask him why. I just heard through my classmate told me. I don't want to ask him. He would be upset or feel hurt or angry. He used to hate me long times ago. He punched in my eye before when we were 13 years old. He became gay when he was 15 until now. He found it out he has HIV positive in 2002 or 2003. I dunno what is it caused.

I do believe he can face jail time for that. He exposed another person to a potentially deadly virus. Especially if he knew about it and did not tell his partner he was HIV +.

It would be different though if a person were unknowingly HIV + and had unprotected sex with a partner, but they would have to prove with documentation that they did not know they were HIV + at the time of the act.

This is why those who are HIV + tend to seek partners who are also HIV +, it comes down to liability. And I hope you know that condoms do not protect against HIV.

I do believe he can face jail time for that. He exposed another person to a potentially deadly virus. Especially if he knew about it and did not tell his partner he was HIV +.

It would be different though if a person were unknowingly HIV + and had unprotected sex with a partner, but they would have to prove with documentation that they did not know they were HIV + at the time of the act.

This is why those who are HIV + tend to seek partners who are also HIV +, it comes down to liability. And I hope you know that condoms do not protect against HIV.

Of course they do! Consistent, correct use of condoms IS extremely effective in preventing HIV. Almost all condom failures are a result of user error. Because of strict testing standards (including discarding a whole batch if one single condom in the batch fails), it is again, VERY unlikely that a properly used condom will fail.

Even if it does, a person's risk of HIV from a single incident generally ranges around 1/500 to 1/2000, depending on the statistic being cited.

This does not count the fact that a couple aware that one partner has HIV can, after an exposure, go to the ER and do a short course of prophylactic anti-retrovirals, which reduce the chances of becoming hiv+ to almost nil.

Of course they do! Consistent, correct use of condoms IS extremely effective in preventing HIV. Almost all condom failures are a result of user error. Because of strict testing standards (including discarding a whole batch if one single condom in the batch fails), it is again, VERY unlikely that a properly used condom will fail.

Even if it does, a person's risk of HIV from a single incident generally ranges around 1/500 to 1/2000, depending on the statistic being cited.

This does not count the fact that a couple aware that one partner has HIV can, after an exposure, go to the ER and do a short course of prophylactic anti-retrovirals, which reduce the chances of becoming hiv+ to almost nil.

Such an intelligent and educated response is not welcome here on AD.

You know....it's interesting that if it was a heterosexual male that knowingly infects women with HIV, it makes news.

If it was a homosexual male that knowingly transmit the virus, nothing is said.

good point.

but as for condoms, I agree with alot of condom 'failures' being due in part to user error. Natural or lambskin condoms DO NOT protect against HIV, but latex condoms will. So read the label carefully.

I wondered when the homophobes would make an apearance.

What a couple of guys do in bed is their busness even if they do have HIV.

What the hell? I didn't aware that. Are you sure?

good point.

but as for condoms, I agree with alot of condom 'failures' being due in part to user error. Natural or lambskin condoms DO NOT protect against HIV, but latex condoms will. So read the label carefully.
I gotta research it. I feel like I am dumbass because I am a college educated person.

Back