JohnJoe CI Surgery Update

Johnjoe1011

Reaction score
To the forum,

It all started getting to the hospital at University of Miami. Arrived at 6:30am they gave me a room. Then around 9:30am i was taken to pre-surgery. Were they put all kinds of monitoring plugs etc. Then after 30 minutes wait the anesthesiologist came. Pretty girl! She gave me a very cold IV and I was gone in a matter of minutes.

Woke around 2pm at recovery with a huge bandage on my right side. I wanted the CI on my right for the fact that I don't recall hearing on that side. So with the CI a 50% gain is a 50%more hearing. I still have the hearing aid on the left side. For long term goal, if the CI works good on the right side i go bilateral.

As far as pain etc not really. I have a slight headache and waiting to eat something to take my Tylenol with Codeine... that will put me to sleep. Discomfort a little bit on the back of the head where the magnet is located.

Tinnitus on the right side YES but is mild.

As far as right side face mumbness or metal taste in my tongue NONE, NADA. Not sure if it will come later on.

Again I am excited now.

Funny thing just happen. We stopped at an ATM on the way back from the hospital I went to get cash and when i entered my password.. i could feel or hear on the right side.

Could it be the radio frequencies the ATM send.

JohnJoe (CIBORG07)

Glad to know that everything is looking good so far, however, you stated a 'pretty nurse', didn't you get her number? :lol: (ofc, j/k ;) ) Anyhow, hope it'll get better and you'll be pleasantly happy with the overall outcome as the days go by-- ;)

~RR

you stated a 'pretty nurse', didn't you get her number?

'Course, if you want her number, you'd do well to remember that an anesthesiologist is an MD, a doctor, and not a nurse. :lol: (Nothing against nurses, but MDs tend to be sensitive about that.)

Congratulations - I'm glad everything went well for you :) How long do you wait until your activation?

To the forum,

It all started getting to the hospital at University of Miami. Arrived at 6:30am they gave me a room. Then around 9:30am i was taken to pre-surgery. Were they put all kinds of monitoring plugs etc. Then after 30 minutes wait the anesthesiologist came. Pretty girl! She gave me a very cold IV and I was

Congrats! I don't know you but I'm sooooo happy for you!!!

I can't wait til it's my turn for my CI surgery. I am sooooooo nervous yet anxious for May 17th to get here!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
'Course, if you want her number, you'd do well to remember that an anesthesiologist is an MD, a doctor, and not a nurse. :lol: (Nothing against nurses, but MDs tend to be sensitive about that.)

*off-topic*

:lol: Ok okkk...I stand corrected, however...bottom line, he did stated 'pretty girl' :D

*back on topic*

How is it going now? Is everything getting better and going smoother for you now?

~RR

Congrats on your CI Surgery!

I, myself, am considering CI surgery...bilateral if I can tolerate it, I guess. My hearing isn't severe as JohnJoe's, though. I have that ski-slope hearing loss in both sides, where I can't hear higher frequencies.

My right hearing aid is totally destroyed (my toddler daughter got a hold of it and dropped it, shattering it onto the floor! I'm not mad though, she didn't mean to do it), but I can still hear ok on that side without it. I still have my left hearing aid, and it works fine.

How much does CI surgery cost, btw? I don't think my insurance will cover that kind of surgery...I'm considering that "hybrid" CI surgery coz it's aimed more towards people with my specific "ski-slope" hearing loss. Just wondering. All of this really helps.

Again, congrats on the surgery. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted!

I don't understand why they want CI surgery. Don't you remember? If the doctor order you to take a MRI, but you have a CI. You can go into MRI X ray. That mean your CI had been very dangerous in MRI cause you a very very burn! That cause very risk for you. I have no idea why MRI make it. I hope CI need different new technology. Sound a good for CI to help hear better to open new brain to help good speech. :D That my reason is I can't take CI surgery, because I knew MRI cause me burn, if doctor order me my future. That why.

I don't know if you know.

I don't understand why they want CI surgery. Don't you remember? If the doctor order you to take a MRI, but you have a CI. You can go into MRI X ray. That mean your CI had been very dangerous in MRI cause you a very very burn! That cause very risk for you. I have no idea why MRI make it. I hope CI need different new technology. Sound a good for CI to help hear better to open new brain to help good speech. :D That my reason is I can't take CI surgery, because I knew MRI cause me burn, if doctor order me my future. That why.

Many of us wear Medic alert bracelets requesting no MRIs due to our CI - medical staff are trained to look out for such alerts should someone be knocked unconscious.

Not many people need MRIs on a regular basis - but even if they do there are other medical examination techniques to get around it.

For me, getting the ability to hear again was well worth trading the ability to have an MRI. The only MRI I've ever had was in my assessment for a CI.

...That mean your CI had been very dangerous in MRI cause you a very very burn! That cause very risk for you. I have no idea why MRI make it. I hope CI need different new technology.

MRI - Magnet Resonance Imaging

A MRI is essentially a big magnet and one's CI has a magnet plus the electrode is metal. Sooooo, that is not a good thing as the MRI can move the CI around and damage one's ability to hear with the CI.

As R2D2 stated, there are other methods that can be used to get around instead of using a MRI.

In addition to what R2D2 and SR171 said, you can remove the magnet (and then replace it post-MRI) relatively easily. Actually, my understanding is that it may even be safe to do it with the magnet in (you'd have to replace the magnet, but it wouldn't injure you), it's just not common practice as a precaution.

My daughter has Ci and she can get low grade MRI with no problems. She does not have to have the magnet removed for MRI. That was one of the reasons I went with the company that we did. The technology has come a very long way. Good luck with everything Johnjoe1011.

To the forum,

It all started getting to the hospital at University of Miami. Arrived at 6:30am they gave me a room. Then around 9:30am i was taken to pre-surgery. Were they put all kinds of monitoring plugs etc. Then after 30 minutes wait the anesthesiologist came. Pretty girl! She gave me a very cold IV and I was gone in a matter of minutes.

Woke around 2pm at recovery with a huge bandage on my right side. I wanted the CI on my right for the fact that I don't recall hearing on that side. So with the CI a 50% gain is a 50%more hearing. I still have the hearing aid on the left side. For long term goal, if the CI works good on the right side i go bilateral.

As far as pain etc not really. I have a slight headache and waiting to eat something to take my Tylenol with Codeine... that will put me to sleep. Discomfort a little bit on the back of the head where the magnet is located.

Tinnitus on the right side YES but is mild.

As far as right side face mumbness or metal taste in my tongue NONE, NADA. Not sure if it will come later on.

Again I am excited now.

Funny thing just happen. We stopped at an ATM on the way back from the hospital I went to get cash and when i entered my password.. i could feel or hear on the right side.

Could it be the radio frequencies the ATM send.

JohnJoe (CIBORG07)

This is wonderful! I'm eager to hear the rest of the story!
How are you doing now? When is your activiation?
Suzi

Glad to know that everything is looking good so far, however, you stated a 'pretty nurse', didn't you get her number? :lol: (ofc, j/k ;) ) Anyhow, hope it'll get better and you'll be pleasantly happy with the overall outcome as the days go by-- ;)

~RR

"Ah, you're a pretty lady... Since I'm getting an operation for a CI, maybe I can get your number and see if your voice is as sexy as you are?" BWAHAHA, sort of doesnt work if you already can hear however.

"Ah, you're a pretty lady... Since I'm getting an operation for a CI, maybe I can get your number and see if your voice is as sexy as you are?" BWAHAHA, sort of doesnt work if you already can hear however.

Sure it does! "Hey, you've got a sexy voice. I bet it'd be even sexier coming through this [gesture to the implant]" :giggle:

This is wonderful! I'm eager to hear the rest of the story!
How are you doing now? When is your activiation?
Suzi

I'm also impatiently waiting to hear the rest of the story, esp activation & the months following that as you get used to the implant & going thru severeal MAPping sessions. :]

I can't wait to be sharing my experience soon!!!

I realized this the other day - knowing that today, April 9th seems soooo far away from May 17th, but on April 16th, the day both of my daughters are back in school, will mark one month and 1 day left to the day of my surgery! That will make it feel like it's coming closer, especially since that Thursday will bring 4 wks left to count down! I'm glad my surgery's on a Thursday. I can come home from surgery, sleep and get by late eveing and chill back in my chair watching all the Thursdays shows!!! :] Whee!!!

Wow, that sound a good new technology make improve for MRI. Sound pretty cool. And also that CT have new technology to 3D model for color use. But it expensive! But I am not good MRI and CT 3D model. I want that one. So, I'm happy MRI get new technology. Because I heard last 1998 what she told me when I was job at hospital, where I work at X ray office. That what I ask her question about my eyes surgery. So, she asked me about if I have CI. I say no! She show me the book. I reading. Oh I understand. That was last about 1998. But now I never heard a new MRI more better technology than old. :O

Back