japan university?

mame

Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering if there might be a university in japan for deaf/hoh to persue postgraduate course?

I'm not aware of any, and I doubt it. The education of minorities is severely underdeveloped in Japan because the philosophy is that those who can't keep up don't deserve special accomodations. There are limited specialized schools available for the required scholing ages (approximately first through ninth grades), but high school and onward is strictly based on academics and totally separate from the state.

that is very sad for the minority people.Just hope sooner or later somebody going to do something to change the situation over there. Thanks for your response. Thought know no one gonna respond to this thread.

You askin' about an university for the deaf where they don't even allow deaf people to drive? ;)

I emailed my brother if he did hear anything about this, just in case. He lives in Japan.

Hello, I was just wondering if there might be a university in japan for deaf/hoh to persue postgraduate course?

Your question isn't clear.

Are you asking about a Japan university akin to Gallaudet University? Like, an all deaf university? Then no, there is none.

Are you asking for a graduate school in Japan for you to take some Master Degree courses to continue after your BA? Then, yes, there's plenty depending on your degree.

Are you asking if Japanese universities accept deaf students? Yes, but I don't know what services they provide to them, such as sign language or notetaking. I don't think the Japanese have anything like the ADA.

So please clarify your question.

Thanks dennis your answer is all-inclusive it is quite helpful for me. Anyway, I am deaf and want to persue a post graduate course in HR Management human resource management. I wondered if there might be one like that of america. However if they dont have any like gally but do have some with a good number of deaf and deaf services in such universities in japan that will be fine for me.hope this one is quite clear.

So are you currently getting your BA? Are you currently living in Japan? What's your reason for wanting to go to Japan to get a master's degree?

Keep in mind, Japanese colleges are ULTRA competitive. If you thought that colleges in the U.S. were hard to get into, you won't believe how difficult it is to get in other countries.

Which is probably why you don't hear of many D/HH people getting into colleges in those other countries -- the combination of no formal ADA rules, plus the incredible difficulty of getting into college would make it virtually impossible for the deaf to get college degrees.

Bro responded:

Yeah, I haven't heard much about postgraduate education for the deaf in japan. I tried to do an internet search but my findings haver been very limited. Here are a couple of links to the University of Tsukuba, looks like
they have programs for the deaf and blind in art, technology, and
engineering. ’}”g‹Zp’ZŠú‘åŠw ŠT—v 2004
Tsukuba University of Technology

In major universities I believe they provide support for deaf students in
mainstream classes but not much in courses directed specifically for deaf
students. At times I've found this country to be very narrow minded that
hold low expectations for people that are "different."

Back