Japan: "Penis Festival"

rockin'robin

Reaction score
(March 24) -- Power to the penis!

The Japanese have festivals for just about everything, and one of the most notorious (at least among foreign visitors) is the nation's annual penis festivals.

One of the biggest is held every year on March 15 at a Shinto shrine in Komaki City, outside Nagoya. It's called the Honen Matsuri, which translates as "Harvest Festival."

Of all the parties in honor of the male reproductive organ, this is the one that arouses the most interest -- in large part because of the 8-foot-long, 620-pound wooden penis that is always the star attraction.

The massive wooden statue is crafted anew each year from a cypress tree. According to the Yamasa Institute, the phallus-carving craftsman uses only traditional tools to create this prodigious wooden figure -- and he does so dressed in clothing that has been purified by the shrine.

When he's done, he's created a penis so big it takes up to 60 people to carry it over the mile-long ceremonial route through the town to Tagata Jinja, the Shinto shrine at the heart of the celebration. Tagata houses penis-shaped carvings of all size and is a popular destination throughout the year among couples hoping to conceive, many of whom leave prayers and offerings.

Visitors to the shrine can usual buy a penis charm or amulet, and the festival features all kinds of penis-shaped trinkets and candy.

The same shrine also hosts an annual vagina festival, while another well-known penis festival is held on the first Sunday in April in Kawasaki, near Tokyo.

In a great cultural irony, the same nation that hosts these annual penis rituals is also home to tough censorship laws that actually forbid showing images of a real penis or vagina. But traditional penises are another story ... and phallic shrines (along with all the requisite statues, amulets and totems) have popped up around the nation.

Japanese Celebrate Spring With Penis Festivals - AOL News

Souggy you are a history major......Didn't George Washington have a wooden penis???

I am thinking with a wooden penis.....Beaver would be the last thing you were looking for. :shock:

Souggy you are a history major......Didn't George Washington have a wooden penis???

I am thinking with a wooden penis.....Beaver would be the last thing you were looking for. :shock:

:lol:

No idea.

I do know there's a joke going around that he's an avid user of butt-plugs though.

And so would woodpeckers. :lol:

It'd better if the women actually carried the large, heavy woody penis to celebrate, revere and honor it than the men. Makes me question the whole thing if men were carrying it.

It'd better if the women actually carried the large, heavy woody penis to celebrate, revere and honor it than the men. Makes me question the whole thing if men were carrying it.

It makes sense for men to carry it because they are usually the ones who brag about the size.

It makes sense for men to carry it because they are usually the ones who brag about the size.

Ok, how come we don't see a Breasts Festival where Japanese women carry large breasts statue above them as they run through the streets?

You're talking about a nation who has an obsession with raccoon (dogs) and giant balls.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4_Nmco2dtE]YouTube - pom poko a fight to the death HD[/ame]

Starts at 1:20.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8xuVnB-Pk&NR=1[/ame]

This one too.

Ok, how come we don't see a Breasts Festival where Japanese women carry large breasts statue above them as they run through the streets?

Well, it's possible they do have a "Breast Festival"...they do have a "Vagina Festival"....Just might not be "fair" to the men....Anyhow, these festivals are a bit odd to me....and I've always figured the Japanese are famous for the quote...."Cuddle up, it's shorter than ya think!"

Back