I've had it with MCI Relay services!

Well I"m sure you ready the whole thing.

When I get yelled at on a day to day basis by deaf people for stupid idiotic things that i have no control over and there attitude is completely not nessassary and I get it on a regular basis from state relay calls yeah.. makes me a little irate and makes me dislike the deaf community.

Now as I'm sure you did read.. that those that are nice.. say thank you and are patient with us as well I have no problems with..

But don't come on the line attacking me for your crappy day or whatever pissed you off.. and done sit there on the other end of the line blaming me because a recording doesn't have the option for a live rep or whatever else.. it's not my fault.

That would make you made, make you irate and beleive it or not.. it happens to me at least 5 times a day.

So my frustration is rather legitamate.

:jaw: Wow, I'm truly sorry to hear that, I had no idea that some of these deaf users were cussing out at you and other relay operators, to be honest I'm nothing like them! I don't do that, I always show my respect, and is very patient while I'm using the relay, , I am never rude to any relay operator period...Again I'm very sorry for what you've gone through...

To relay users...after reading the venting from the relay operators, can u stop blaming or cussing the operators out? The more u do that, the more stress u will cause for them on their jobs, the more likely they will leave their jobs and word will get around that being a relay operator is very stressful. Then, that means people wont want to apply for the jobs and what happens? No more relay service and our freedom of being able to call anyone we want is taken away.

To those who have cussed relay operators for something that they have no control, pls rethink your behaviors and relax. Be mad at the business or the person u are calling for screwing up the phone calls not at the operators.

:werd: I'm with you on that!! agreed

Thk you. Honestly people that use the relay service that are nice.. are patient with me and ya know.. don't get frustrated for whatever reason I like. I enjoy.. even if they don't say "thk u opr have a nice day' I'll still respond with ' hope u have nice day smile' or something like that.

I'm sure I was a little harsh, but it's true. Some people are just rude. And I probably take 150 to 200 calls a day on a monday tues and wed. So yeah.. it is a stressful job.

but to those users out there who are trying to be patient, are nice.. a little 'thk u ' really really makes things alot better and makes the day seem not so blue. :ty: to those that take the time to say thk u.
:jaw: Wow, I'm truly sorry to hear that, I had no idea that some of these deaf users were cussing out at you and other relay operators, to be honest I'm nothing like them! I don't do that, I always show my respect, and is very patient while I'm using the relay, , I am never rude to any relay operator period...Again I'm very sorry for what you've gone through...

I show my respect to ALL relay operators, and I even tell them to thank you and have a nice day before I hung up, so believe me there are some deaf users out there who do show their respect to relay operators, maybe you will have a few rude ones, but believe me there are rude people everywhere not only from these deaf users....

I know this post is older, but I am new to the boards and wanted to say. That I for one appreciate every single person who takes the time to say Thank you or have a nice day. It really helps with the long day and the not so good calls that come through. So, thank you for all who take a moment to do it.

good thread and I always say "thanks"(or similar) before ending the call.

Does not matter if it is though relay service or not, some hearing people went though the same problem. I have actually had a call from court let me know that I need to show up the court for so called probation hearing. I believe one of those guy who got out of jail and gave the clerk the number and the clerk may have misdialed and left message on my machine instead of the convicted person... I have no idea who the court clerk was, no caller name was left, just a reminder note... Do I care? NAH! I am no convict and I am not involved with any court stuff.

Yea, and I often reminding the operator, "hey operator, don't take this personally nothing to do with you", they usually respect me back!

To relay users...after reading the venting from the relay operators, can u stop blaming or cussing the operators out? The more u do that, the more stress u will cause for them on their jobs, the more likely they will leave their jobs and word will get around that being a relay operator is very stressful. Then, that means people wont want to apply for the jobs and what happens? No more relay service and our freedom of being able to call anyone we want is taken away.

To those who have cussed relay operators for something that they have no control, pls rethink your behaviors and relax. Be mad at the business or the person u are calling for screwing up the phone calls not at the operators.

Yea, and I often reminding the operator, "hey operator, don't take this personally nothing to do with you", they usually respect me back!

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

If you are cussing and there is another person on the line for it to be relayed to.. then no operators don't take it personally.

We take it personally when there is not another person on the line and there are a string of insults coming through talking about how we don't know how to do our jobs and blah blah blah.. then yes we have a right to take it very personally.

I'm shocked also! Maybe I've worked too many crap jobs dealing with jerks, but I NEVER would treat somebody like this! More so because they are trying to help me.

I don't use relay much though to call anyone besides family, and they know who is calling. My kids' doctors' employees are very familiar with it.

Hey Richard (Nesmuth), I see the problem and it is all about you...

Does this attorney, Cristina Rebeil, JD familiar to you? Please don't lie this time!

I am so sick of every other deaf relay user thinking that operators are out to get them! What makes you think that we hate you that much that we would purposely do that???? What???

I'm about to blow off some steam because this needs to be said....

I don't know what makes you or anyone think that Operators just want you to call so we be like 'oh look another deaf person how am i going to piss him off today?" NO!!! Most of us LOVE our jobs but absolutely HATE how WE are TREATED by it's Legitmate users. I get scammers who are nicer to me then the deaf, hoh, or speech disabled. THAT is sad. Some days i wonder why I even keep my job because i'm obviously not appreciated for the hard work that I do in trying to relay the call and insure that each user get what he or she needs whether it is 100 peices of glass or to make a doctor appt.

Oh and on another note while I'm ranting

RELAY OPERATORS CAN NOT JUST WAVE A WAND AND GET YOU A LIVE REP!

WE CAN NOT JUST PRESS BUTTONS TO GET YOU ONE!!! IT IS AGAINST THE FCC AND FEDERAL LAWS THAT OUR COMPANY IS BUILT AND RAN ON!

SO PLS FOR MY SANITY STOP YELLING AT ME CUSSING ME OUT AND COMPAINING TO MY MANAGERS THAT IM A LOUSY OPR BECAUSE LIVE REP IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!

It's annoying it's rude and absolutely makes me hate most deaf users. I hate to say it but it does.

There are very few relay users, most VCO, that i LOVE absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE taking there calls. WHY?? Because they are patient, they are nice and they appreciate the service we are TRYING to provide to the deaf community.

SO.. the next time you call into the MCI/Verizon/IP/ or whatever else Relay system that you use to take into concideration that the relay operators are doing the best they possibly can to provide you with the best possible cust svc there is.

Ok.. I"m done... hope ya'll have a great night.

It's a fact of life. Jerks are everywhere Deaf and Hearing. Quit if you don't like it.

To be honest. Having been IP Relay - I got yelled at a lot for user errors. They give me a number, I dial it, they don't get through or typed the wrong number and they blame me for dialing it wrong when I only click and pasted the number they gave me into the program which dials out the calls. I've been yelled at because AOL Messenger is lagging and they think I was slacking off. I've been reported for technical issues. I've been reported for following procedure. Venting isn't a problem, don't get me wrong. But if you can't deal with it and you have to rant about it - you probably shouldn't be working in relay then. It happens and there are jerks here and there are jerks there. There are miscommunications and there are mistakes that are made on both ends or neither ends.

Relay is not only a communication service for the Deaf but it is also a customer service job on our behalf - providing customer service to them. They are not required to do or be anything. We are serving them; they aren't serving us - we should have no expectations of our Deaf and Hard of Hearing users. They should have expectations of us - good service, our best, etc etc and sometimes yes...they overreact. But think about it okay, how many times do you really get yelled or cussed out? Very few times. In any case, let it go and get over it. You're the one getting paid for it. They're not getting paid for the calls they make.

Simply said - oh well. Let's move on.

Last edited:
Back