I've fallen and can't get up!

How is the cell phone reception in your area? I know that sometimes rural area coverage can be sketchy.

It almost sounds like some kind of OnStar system would be best. It's mobile and doesn't depend on the caller making a verbal response. I don't know if something like that is available in a unit that you could carry with you. :hmm:

I would go with CQ radio or something.

I was thinking about that but what about the range?

yea just like what Botti said above. I wouldn't trust my life with it if I were to work on field. I don't think it's designed for that scenario.

Maybe you should visit your local emergency services director and have a serious discussion with him. If he doesn't have a solution, maybe you can encourage him to develop something. At the very least, it would put him on notice of your situation if something happens in the future, so you could get a quicker response.

Maybe you should visit your local emergency services director and have a serious discussion with him. If he doesn't have a solution, maybe you can encourage him to develop something. At the very least, it would put him on notice of your situation if something happens in the future, so you could get a quicker response.

most excellent advice.

Hubby asked me, what kind of tractor, and did it have a seat belt? He's had farm tractor experience, and he said that could have been a deadly accident.

How is the cell phone reception in your area? I know that sometimes rural area coverage can be sketchy.

It almost sounds like some kind of OnStar system would be best. It's mobile and doesn't depend on the caller making a verbal response. I don't know if something like that is available in a unit that you could carry with you. :hmm:

For rural - I recommended to use Verizon.

I was thinking about that but what about the range?

From the link:
Extended Range Protection --Every system has the ability to protect subscribers up to 300 feet from the console with extended protection up to 1000 feet. This means protection throughout the home, into the yard and garden.

For rural - I recommended to use Verizon.
There are still some areas that get no reception of any cell phones. We have lots of woodsy areas around here like that. It doesn't matter what the server is if there are no towers.

We have friends who live in one of those areas. They must have a land-lone phone. They used to get cell phone reception when the phones were analog but they can't get any with the digital phones.

I'm totally deaf and in a wheelchair. I cut the grass (five acres), work in my shop, etc. usually alone. Always figured I could call 911 in an emergency. WRONG! Last week I got trapped under the tractor. Is there a device I could carry that would let me call 911 from anywhere?
Medical alert bracket/pendant or cell phone/smartphone. What else do you expect? Since you are in a wheelchair and if living alone, you should have either one of them ASAP.

There are still some areas that get no reception of any cell phones. We have lots of woodsy areas around here like that. It doesn't matter what the server is if there are no towers.

We have friends who live in one of those areas. They must have a land-lone phone. They used to get cell phone reception when the phones were analog but they can't get any with the digital phones.

Verizon has service in most part of rural in Mississippi.

Verizon has service in most part of rural in Mississippi.
But not all parts of Mississippi. I looked at the Verizon coverage map, and there are clusters of areas that have no coverage in that state. That's the same for my state. There are still areas all over the country that have no cell phone coverage at all.

But not all parts of Mississippi. I looked at the Verizon coverage map, and there are clusters of areas that have no coverage in that state. That's the same for my state. There are still areas all over the country that have no cell phone coverage at all.

Where I mention ALL PART? I said most part of this state.

I used to had phone under Verizon and I got coverage every time I visit rural area, even Alabama is just very rural as Mississippi does. Some isolated rural area usually get 1xRTT rather than 3G EVDO.

Where I mention ALL PART? I said most part of this state.
I didn't say that you did. My point was, if you are someone who lives in that part that doesn't have coverage, it doesn't matter if even 99% of the rest of the state has coverage. If you live somewhere where you can't make a phone call, all the other parts of the state are irrelevant to you.

I didn't say that you did. My point was, if you are someone who lives in that part that doesn't have coverage, it doesn't matter if even 99% of the rest of the state has coverage. If you live somewhere where you can't make a phone call, all the other parts of the state are irrelevant to you.

I don't state 99%.

I just simply say that most part of state have coverage, however I expect you to know about obvious situation about some portion of area have no coverage or poor signal, especially inside of building. For overall, I recommended Verizon for best signal in rural area.

I passed Mississippi several times when on way to New Orleans and Texas so hadn't any issue with phone under Verizon.

I checked baitchunker's location and his area already have coverage.

This has gotten way out of hand. I don't know if further explanation will help or hurt, but here goes.

I'm 63. Married for 43 years. Wife leaves for work around 7:30 and gets home around 5:30. I'm alone most of the day. Totally deaf. in a wheelchair because I can't balance to walk. Can't drive because of side effects from neurofibromatois (NF2 - look it up).

I'm a cheap SOB. Until last week I saw no need for a cellphone. I thought maybe you folks could help with a technology I wasn't familiar with. *I never thought of pay-as-you-go phones. I'll own one tomorrow.*

Someone asked how I got in such a predicament.
I was servicing my old John Deere tractor and mower. As I lowered the hydraulic mower deck it knocked me down and trapped my leg under it. The tractor wasn't running. I was in no pain. I just couldn't get free. Had to lay there in the dirt for a couple hours until my grandkids found me.

Giggle giggle giggle...another post gets out of hand. Pay as you go cell...my recommendation. Very inexpensive, reliable and you only use your time when you need to. Careful...they are addictive. Avoid anything with an apple on it, cause you'll just want MORE!

This has gotten way out of hand. I don't know if further explanation will help or hurt, but here goes.

I'm 63. Married for 43 years. Wife leaves for work around 7:30 and gets home around 5:30. I'm alone most of the day. Totally deaf. in a wheelchair because I can't balance to walk. Can't drive because of side effects from neurofibromatois (NF2 - look it up).

I'm a cheap SOB. Until last week I saw no need for a cellphone. I thought maybe you folks could help with a technology I wasn't familiar with. *I never thought of pay-as-you-go phones. I'll own one tomorrow.*

Someone asked how I got in such a predicament.
I was servicing my old John Deere tractor and mower. As I lowered the hydraulic mower deck it knocked me down and trapped my leg under it. The tractor wasn't running. I was in no pain. I just couldn't get free. Had to lay there in the dirt for a couple hours until my grandkids found me.

My grandmother (in-law) fell in her kitchen and broke her leg. She laid there for 3 hours (in pain) before she got my grandfather (in-laws) attention (he is 92).

She had to recover in a nursing home and refuses to go back. She wears a necklace now that has a button on it. All she has to do is press the button, and 911 is called. She has a wi-fi internet set up in her house that can also broadcast the signal.

Or get a high power multi-channel cb walkie-talkie (this route is a one time major purchase, dirt cheap long term) and ask police or fire dept what are the emergency channels.

Back