I've fallen and can't get up!

baitchunker

Reaction score
I'm totally deaf and in a wheelchair. I cut the grass (five acres), work in my shop, etc. usually alone. Always figured I could call 911 in an emergency. WRONG! Last week I got trapped under the tractor. Is there a device I could carry that would let me call 911 from anywhere?

I'm totally deaf and in a wheelchair. I cut the grass (five acres), work in my shop, etc. usually alone. Always figured I could call 911 in an emergency. WRONG! Last week I got trapped under the tractor. Is there a device I could carry that would let me call 911 from anywhere?

yes.... it's called a cellphone...

what kind of cellphone are you speaking of? is it too expensive?

any cellphone will do. it can be cheap or expensive depending on which one you like.

simply press 911 and then... hope for the best...

Any cellphone that has mobile AIM will work for you. You can then make relay phone calls through it.

Haven't needed to call 911 before. Why call anyone when I can email for free. Got no real need for a cell phone.

Haven't needed to call 911 before. Why call anyone when I can email for free. Got no real need for a cell phone.

Except when you are trapped under a tractor.

Things like those buttons that communicate to a rescue center only work within 700 feet from your home.

so how do you expect to call 911 then? email?

I think in Canada there's a requirement for mobile users to actually reach a person. So might need to look at what's specific to Canada if you're there. US, they will hunt you down, even if you hang up without talking (although they try to call back a few times first).

I done learned that those buttons only work to the outhouse, not the chicken barn. If somebody would tell me where to find a real cheap cell phone host I'd really be in high cotton.

I done learned that those buttons only work to the outhouse, not the chicken barn. If somebody would tell me where to find a real cheap cell phone host I'd really be in high cotton.

available at many stores - prepaid phone.

Get in your truck and keep driving until you see a store that looks like they sell apples.

I think in Canada there's a requirement for mobile users to actually reach a person. So might need to look at what's specific to Canada if you're there. US, they will hunt you down, even if you hang up without talking (although they try to call back a few times first).

That's good to know in case I am ever stuck under a tractor in Canada.

How is the cell phone reception in your area? I know that sometimes rural area coverage can be sketchy.

It almost sounds like some kind of OnStar system would be best. It's mobile and doesn't depend on the caller making a verbal response. I don't know if something like that is available in a unit that you could carry with you. :hmm:

At least today is better than 100 years ago where there is nothing and if your fk'ed up in the middle of nowhere, your basically Fk'ed up and done.

images

31tNDO8RzfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
11%2BjAVBV-HL.jpg

Medical Alert Necklace/Bracelet -- 3 Months Service Certificate

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Necklace-Bracelet-Service-Certificate/dp/B003TGJ5LC]Amazon.com: Medical Alert Necklace/Bracelet -- 3 Months Service Certificate: Electronics[/ame]

IARMXD.jpg

http://lifefoneblog.com/2011/02/16/emergency-medical-alert-systems-pendants-saving-lives/
lifefone-necklace.jpg

Back