I've come to realize that....

tigersharkdude

Reaction score
since losing my hearing all of my "friends" have abandoned me. However, my dog is still as loyal as ever.

Has anybody else who is late deafened notice that your so called "friends" now want nothing to do with you? I would never abandon a friend simply because they lost their hearing, or eyesight, or the ability to walk, etc, etc. Ive come to realize that no matter what happens my dog is always there to make me happy.

/RANT

we have our different interesting toward certain individual or group

I still have true friends and also what you call "fair-weather friends".....So the way I see and understand it...if someone drops you or stops being ur friend because of ur deafness...then of course, they were not a "true" friend to begin with....So I wouldn't worry one iota about them....it's their loss, not yours....

Being an animal lover also...my doggie is my "best friend"...She's always there and happy to see me every day. Through the years, and after meeting so many people....I'd rather spend time with my doggie than to listen to all their crap!....

I still have true friends and also what you call "fair-weather friends".....So the way I see and understand it...if someone drops you or stops being ur friend because of ur deafness...then of course, they were not a "true" friend to begin with....So I wouldn't worry one iota about them....it's their loss, not yours....

Being an animal lover also...my doggie is my "best friend"...She's always there and happy to see me every day. Through the years, and after meeting so many people....I'd rather spend time with my doggie than to listen to all their crap!....

True, that. Real friends will still be there. The one's that leave do so for one of two reasons: they do not want to be bothered with making the extra effort to communicate with you, or they don't want to be reminded that it could easily happen to them, too. Either way, you don't need people like that hanging around. They are a downer.

My friends don't even want to put the effort into texting me anymore because its "easier for them to talk". Some of them just don't know how to react with it. Not just friends though, family also.

My friends don't even want to put the effort into texting me anymore because its "easier for them to talk". Some of them just don't know how to react with it. Not just friends though, family also.

Well it got too annoying for them to talk to me over the phone (I told them for the longest time that the phone is my enemy.) So eventually I lost about 70% of my friends. The rest text when they remember or will phone first, swear about how stupid they were, hang up, then text me back. It's all fun.

My family however...Dad texts, my sisters text, cousins, aunts, uncles, inlaws, basically who ever wants to communicate with me texts except my mom. Mom still phones and yells! But according to everyone else she yells at everyone over the phone and doesn't realize it. She also can't hear anything over the phone but she's still in major denial and mentioning it is like a death sentence.
She knows how to text, she has a easy texting phone (windows 7 optimus) and knows how to use it, but refuses to text anyone but her boss who doesn't answer the phone.

I pretty much lost my mom because I can't communicate with her unless we're in person.

Wow, I feel for those who lost friends or family simply because you lost your hearing. Pls consider joining the Deaf community since we know what it is like to deal with people who wont give us the time of the day. :hug:

Wow, I feel for those who lost friends or family simply because you lost your hearing. Pls consider joining the Deaf community since we know what it is like to deal with people who wont give us the time of the day. :hug:

Ive attempted to socialize with the deaf community here, Im sure I wont be going back. Not 1 person ever walked over to me, I was pretty much cast aside since I dont know ASL. I personally would like to find another late deafened person to chat with, someone who knows what Im going through

Ive attempted to socialize with the deaf community here, Im sure I wont be going back. Not 1 person ever walked over to me, I was pretty much cast aside since I dont know ASL. I personally would like to find another late deafened person to chat with, someone who knows what Im going through

Did you go up to them and introduce yourself? Even though you don't know ASL, they would have done their best to communicate with you, I'm sure.

Don't sit back and wait for things to come to you. Take the initiative and bring them to you. No one knows that you want to be a part of a group unless you let them know.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I don't know where you are, so I can't offer specific recommendations. You need an ASL class or someone to teach you. You need to find late-deafened people that are wiling to practice with you. We're our there. It's going to take a lot of effort on your part, but it's worth it. Also, look for people on Skype. There's a sticky thread on AD. Don't give up.

Well it got too annoying for them to talk to me over the phone (I told them for the longest time that the phone is my enemy.) So eventually I lost about 70% of my friends. The rest text when they remember or will phone first, swear about how stupid they were, hang up, then text me back. It's all fun.

My family however...Dad texts, my sisters text, cousins, aunts, uncles, inlaws, basically who ever wants to communicate with me texts except my mom. Mom still phones and yells! But according to everyone else she yells at everyone over the phone and doesn't realize it. She also can't hear anything over the phone but she's still in major denial and mentioning it is like a death sentence.
She knows how to text, she has a easy texting phone (windows 7 optimus) and knows how to use it, but refuses to text anyone but her boss who doesn't answer the phone.

I pretty much lost my mom because I can't communicate with her unless we're in person.

I lost a chunk of friends also, my mom texts me... here and there... but shes not supportive about anything.

First, you have to learn the language. That is what I did...I had to learn the language and get the basics and then start interacting with the Deaf community.

Back