I've been told ASL is "going out"?

Many people don't realise that while CIs have made huge advances in the last 10years, they are also only suitable for a small percentage of those who are Hoh or deaf (less than 10%) - and even then CIs don't "cure" deafness.
And in addition, the performance of CIs varies hugely. Just as with hearing aids!
ASL is not going out of style. It's just that overall little kids no longer have severe spoken language issues. Like it may be rare for a kid to start out learning ASL, from the get go. HOH kids benifit strongly from ASL. There are still many kids in oral programs who actually NEED the specialized programming offered. I think a lot of those kids will disocver ASL as a second language and then BOOM!

I met with my counselor today to discuss options with college and such. I want to go to Gallaudet for teaching and specializing with deaf students. My counselor said that sign language isn't really "in style" anymore and nobody uses sign language. She even said that she doesn't see a point in learning sign language when deaf students lip read nowadays. Is this true? I thought that deaf students were taught in sign language?

tell your counselor she is DEAD WRONG!!!

When you see your counselor again, tell her to see her supervisor to pick up a pink-slip. She probably doesn't know what pink slip is all about and went for it. :lol:

Wirelessly posted

That is like saying English is going out of style.

Wirelessly posted

That is like saying English is going out of style.

EXACTLY lol ASL in NOT going out of style! If anything its becoming more popular, My small community college runs at least 4-5 full classes of ASL every semester. <3 <3 <3

Thank you everyone! I was talking to an interpreter I know tonight and she pretty much said the same. Wow.. What in the heck do counselors know? Would it be bad for me to go to Gallaudet when I got a 27 on the ACT? Apparently my counselor is worried that I won't get a challenging education, even though this is what I want... Opinions?

Contact Gallaudet and find out what their requirements are.

Have you looked over their website to see what kinds of programs they offer?

The majority of the ACT scores are between 15 and 20... So my counselor doesn't think it would be worth my money for me to go there...

I've looked at their website a bajillion times and would really love to do their program. Most colleges up here in MI don't offer a program in education with hearing impaired people. The only one I found was from a link someone posted on here for MSU, and their tuition is pretty much the same as Gallaudet's. My mom just likes that MSU is 1.5 hours away versus 12. I think you are losing the community big time by going to MSU, and I really want the community part of it..

I'm so confused!

:shock: Maybe your counselor said that to save State money by having you "further your education" locally?
That could be the case. I had that problem with my VR counselor when I was trying to get into a university. He kept making excuses for why I was better off going to community college. After 3 years, I finally found out that he was screwing me over. So, I closed my case with him and went on my own for a couple years before starting a new case from scratch with a different VR counselor before finally getting into a university. :)

Thank you everyone! I was talking to an interpreter I know tonight and she pretty much said the same. Wow.. What in the heck do counselors know? Would it be bad for me to go to Gallaudet when I got a 27 on the ACT? Apparently my counselor is worried that I won't get a challenging education, even though this is what I want... Opinions?

Sweetie - GO wherever you want to go! Don't let some bonehead counselor tell you where to go. Is the counselor going to go to college (again)? No. You are. So don't let anyone tell you where to go or not to go. Sounds corny, I know, but be the captain of your OWN ship.

Another ignorant school counselor story - I had another school counselor who tried to convince me that the only place that I should go to college is a local Catholic college. I have nothing against the college or Catholics, but I'm not Catholic. While they DO have an Occupational Therapy program, it isn't exactly what I want. And their tuition is CRAZY expensive. I could go get my Masters from a different college (which is my goal - to get my Master's in OT.) for less money than I could get my Bachelor's from the Catholic college.

I found out later that the counselor was not only an alumni of the Catholic college - but that she had family members who were employed by the college. And, she told EVERYONE that she talked to, no matter what their major was going to be, to go to the Catholic college.

Guess where I'm not going to college? :roll:

Honey, go to whatever college you want to go to. If you want to go to Gallaudet, then awesome. I wish you the best of luck and success. School counselors don't know everything. Some are better than others. Some are awesome, some are not. I think your counselor is a bonehead. Take what s/he has to say with a grain of salt. Do your research, and talk to people who know what they are talking about and have real experience. Talking to some Gallaudet alumni would be a good idea, too. Get in contact with Gallaudet. They will be able to steer you into the right direction - and help you to decide whether Gallaudet is the right college for you or not.

I met with my counselor today to discuss options with college and such. I want to go to Gallaudet for teaching and specializing with deaf students. My counselor said that sign language isn't really "in style" anymore and nobody uses sign language. She even said that she doesn't see a point in learning sign language when deaf students lip read nowadays. Is this true? I thought that deaf students were taught in sign language?

If your goal is to interact with deaf then you should certainly learn ASL.

GO to Gallaudet and see for yourself. From my own witnesses from people who I know some of them who are hearing, HOH, Deaf, deaf or oral who loves gallaudet. A few ones (from online) dislikes gallaudet but I haven't met anyone in person who told me that dislikes gallaudet.

Some people wanted to go to gallaudet, just one year for increasing their experiences then take courses through gallaudet to other colleges.

I think you will like it there, just try to stay there for a year then you can decide not to come back or not.

I for one who graduated from gallaudet and KISSFIST GALLAUDET. Good Luck~!

I've heard similar stuff 20 years ago....back then the mentality was that Gallaudet accepted students with lower levels of education since many deaf people were unable to keep up with hearing education levels, so people assumed many things.

I truly believe deaf people are smarter these days with all the technology available.

Do your research on what programs Gallaudet offers versus other deaf colleges like RIT. Not sure about now, but Gally was a liberal arts and RIT was both liberal arts and technology. I picked RIT since they had the program I wanted. Either way, like Minty says, go with what you want AFTER you do your own research.

p.s. Buddy of mine graduated from RIT with the same major, and he went back to Gally to get a different degree, and says the education is easier at Gally....so, YMMV.

I'm deaf myself, but I would not advise you to just go to deaf college just because you're deaf.

I went to Northern Illinois University. THey do have a small deaf program there, but if I was to do it again, I may have went to Gallaudet or RIT. I wasn't happy about lack of friends I made out at NIU.

The sad thing is that if looking for a job, a lot of interviewers will look at your resume and think "Gallaudet, what?".

Yeah, college should be the best time of your life and sadly I did not have it. Just take your time with college choice. Don't go there just because your counselor said so. She is paid to look after you academically, not socially.

Back