Itt Tech Institute and DVR

LilCueballRulez

Reaction score
Hello Everyone whoever experience with college and Vocational Rehabilitation,

I am here to asking you about DVR (Division Vocational Rehabilitation) and Financial Aid. I just want to give you shares for my college. I am first deaf in the college, going to ITT TECH INSTITUTE in Greenfield, Wisconsin. I only going to school for three months. So, I was recently left that school because i not able to enough budget for transportation and pay cover my tutorial. I go to school for night and three classes for three days in weekly only! It's fit my match with schedule and prepare. You have to understand that ITT TECH is part of private school and the education is very expensive. My dream is want to become a Software Engineer.

I asking Financial Aid that i need some money because i could pay cover my tickets and an insurance. Also, i will not take three buses because i live in northside and ITT TECH is in southside. There is no way for me to take three buses for different seasons (Falls, springs, and winters) because i will never, ever forget that i robbery in August 25, 2005 at 11pm.

I was enrolled at DVR and asking them to help me to pay cover my tutorial and give me some money for myself. My case is activated last Sept. I called my DVR Counselor, he and i argue over money because my school is private, that's mean DVR does not support for that but he will support school who is under State of Wisconsin or Voc Tech like University of Wisconsin Milwaukee(UWM) ^under State of Wisconsin^ or Milwaukee Area Technical College(MATC)^Voc Tech^. BUT! Those school does not fit my match because their programs is cheapest A$$. I told my counselor that i love my school so much because these core skills will help you throughout your academic career, discuss about homework, conference with my mates about what prepare for homework, classes, our personality, or whatever, small classes, do my working on computers, everything! That's what i going for! So, he does not listen to me at all! So we hung up and not debates again.

Later, i got bills then i was going to my Financial Aid that i not able to afford to pay over $2,500. She do know my situation a lot because i am deaf and not able to find a job in Milwaukee because Milwaukee is FREEZE! I told them that My DVR will not pay for that because they does not SUPPORT that private school. They keep to tell me that they should to pay for that because it's same other students who is attendance my school. I was like okay and? Maybe he is disability but not deaf! I am the only one deaf student in the school. By the way, I was found out that school does not offer major trade. Financial Aid keep to tell me to go to DVR office and looking for scholarship/grants. I still applied many, many applications for scholarship but never be success! I told them to forget it and i will call DVR again, tho. Next day, i ask them to pay my tutorial but they won't because i already started that school. It's not their fault and it's my fault because we didn't prepare with individual plan for the employment. I am stuck and must pay my tutorial out of my pockets, lolz. We still argument on the phone about money, money, and money. So, we decided to setting it up with an appointment.

Last Friday, i was going to meeting with my DVR Counselor. I was sit and waiting for an interpreter to arrive but my mind was what the Fking, why should do i have an deaf interpreting for? after second interpreting is hearing and arrive then my mind was LOL! We walked into my DVR Counselor's office. I can't believe what he said to me! He said he sick of me because i misunderstood and disagreed with him. I was laughed so hard and said you r bogus as hell b****! That's how he get me for two interpreting (hearing and deaf). I knew, Deaf interpreting is disagreed with him because she know DVR should help any deaf and hard of hearing who need to pay cover their tutorial and for themselves! My Counselor tried to changing my major and decision. He ordered me to move in Whitewater, i was like what the hell?! I said are you tell me to move out of the city and leave my own family?! Hell No, you can't tell me what to do but i do whatever i make decision, not your. He didn't know that i have a wife and two kids. He told me to going to UWM or MATC because they cheap, i was like what the fking?! Lolz, i can't believe what he said because all is he keep talking about MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY but i asking him to give me to contact with his ownership who give grants away for anybody but he won't give me one! Deaf interpreting and i was agreed that i need to making appeal and sue that nigga's a$$ asap! On monay, i will call Counselor's Supervisor and set it up with them for an appointment.

By the way, My families, friends, old teachers from HS and other college, and co-workers tell me to not give up and still fight back with DVR. Don't let them to change my decision and major.

So, what should i going to do? What is your experience with Financial Aid and Vocational Rehabilitation? Did they help you out with your money? Have you receive money 3 monthly per?

I hope y'all share with me for short. Thank

As a VR counselor, I agree with you on it. Your counselor is simply wrong and can not tell you what to do, including moving to Whitewater. I disagree with him. I am glad that you keep fighting and setting up an appointment with the supervisor. Hopefully, that supervisor is being understanding. If not, you will need to contact Client Assistance Program (CAP), but make sure you need to have supporting evidence against your counselor. For example, your Deaf interpreter agrees with you. Use your deaf interpreter as that supporting evidence..it will make your case stronger. Your counselor will be in trouble.

Well, you already started your school in the past, yes. But when your next semester starts, counselor should have developed IPE and have monies ready for your next semester. That's what I do. I understand your justifications why you left due to transportation issues. Once you enroll into school, DVR should provide transportation monies for you for transportation and tuition/fees/books/supplies. Some VR pays up to $4,500-$10K for tuition/fees alone, depending on their policies vary in other state for training/techincal school.

Good luck!

I would move closer to save money like any college kids would do especially they have limit of how much they can give you.

I used to have to drive myself to college because there was no bus system where I live. Not cheap, but I had to get a part time (which eventually became full-time) job at 7-11 because I needed car insurance and such and they don't cover that sort of thing. DVR only cover gas for college.

btw, We have ITT in our area that also have the same Tech programs. The people automatically work where my hubby works after they finished the schooling. Most of them felt they would have done better in a community college.

As a VR counselor, I agree with you on it. Your counselor is simply wrong and can not tell you what to do, including moving to Whitewater. I disagree with him. I am glad that you keep fighting and setting up an appointment with the supervisor. Hopefully, that supervisor is being understanding. If not, you will need to contact Client Assistance Program (CAP), but make sure you need to have supporting evidence against your counselor. For example, your Deaf interpreter agrees with you. Use your deaf interpreter as that supporting evidence..it will make your case stronger. Your counselor will be in trouble.

Well, you already started your school in the past, yes. But when your next semester starts, counselor should have developed IPE and have monies ready for your next semester. That's what I do. I understand your justifications why you left due to transportation issues. Once you enroll into school, DVR should provide transportation monies for you for transportation and tuition/fees/books/supplies. Some VR pays up to $4,500-$10K for tuition/fees alone, depending on their policies vary in other state for training/techincal school.

Good luck!

As a CRC, I agree with you completely. This counselor has stepped way out of bounds.

I can't believe what I am reading your story. Oh boy! What a pain the neck! Your time and your energy is a lot of work. You love your school, and then stay with it.

I know a friend of mine that turned him down three times, and he didn't fight for his rights.

I wonder a software-maker company is willing to pay your tuition if you work for the company.

I met a student at my college a couple of years ago, and his company paid him for his full time student for three years. I don't know how that work for you because you have a family and a part time student. Maybe, it's because of that reason. It is usually work for the government to accept some students to attend a college with a full time student.

Off subject, our country has a lot of problems with its money system. Too many thief government contractors and sub-contractors that already stole our tax-money at big times this year. i.e. U.S. Highway Recovery Funds are missing, Safety funds for the states are also missing. Poor trace of money where the money went - again similar our one billion dollars were disappeared after the money was transferred to Iraq. I am not sure what I heard that some hackers stole the government-banks in the U.S. which is not clear right now - probably, our government is covering up for its mistakes.

Good luck!

Good Morning, Oddball

Thanks for your responding, That's what i tried to tell him same things but he keep to saying that he won't help me to go to my school because he said my school is CHEATER and very expensive as education. All is he sayin that he can help me to get a job that's all. Right now, I was visiting my aunt in law's house and discuss with my cousin who is experience for working and college. He told me that he is going to Matc for short time until he found his other college for fit his match. I told him that i already tried that Matc but not success for me as well. That's how i happy with Itt Tech. I do not understand why did those college not many same programs as Itt Tech had!

One thing problem is i forget deaf interpreter's name but she suppose to email me a few days ago. I am look forward to see what's up with her but i am not sure where did Counselor get that deaf interpreter because i only know Professional Interpreting Enterprise and CommunicationLink service. She never show me her card as where is she workin at. When she arrive DVR office and look at me quickly then she walked to sit her seat by me then chat with me because i bet she know my name as a nigga, lolz. Then chat with me and i was like oh yea lolz. By the way, if i didn't hear from her for a while then i can looking for Interpreting service anywhere in Wisconsin and found out where is she at. I will update you, ok? I will take your suggestion, thanks!!

I would move closer to save money like any college kids would do especially they have limit of how much they can give you.

I used to have to drive myself to college because there was no bus system where I live. Not cheap, but I had to get a part time (which eventually became full-time) job at 7-11 because I needed car insurance and such and they don't cover that sort of thing. DVR only cover gas for college.

btw, We have ITT in our area that also have the same Tech programs. The people automatically work where my hubby works after they finished the schooling. Most of them felt they would have done better in a community college.

Thanks for your responding, Lighthouse77

Lolz, i agreed with you but My wife and i can't move for that because that area is very, very racist and strict. Also, we can't afford for that high taxes. That's why, my wife and i like it in our area because of lowest taxes and our families lived here too.

I recently asked DVR to help me out for pay my tickets and SR-22 insurance but DVR said it's not their problems... seem they act they don't care about deaf and hard of hearing people's issue. I still not understand why did they working for Division Vocational Rehabilitation, I thought DVR mean will help deaf and hard of hearing 100% until they satisfy but not!

I can't believe what I am reading your story. Oh boy! What a pain the neck! Your time and your energy is a lot of work. You love your school, and then stay with it.

I know a friend of mine that turned him down three times, and he didn't fight for his rights.

I wonder a software-maker company is willing to pay your tuition if you work for the company.

I met a student at my college a couple of years ago, and his company paid him for his full time student for three years. I don't know how that work for you because you have a family and a part time student. Maybe, it's because of that reason. It is usually work for the government to accept some students to attend a college with a full time student.

Off subject, our country has a lot of problems with its money system. Too many thief government contractors and sub-contractors that already stole our tax-money at big times this year. i.e. U.S. Highway Recovery Funds are missing, Safety funds for the states are also missing. Poor trace of money where the money went - again similar our one billion dollars were disappeared after the money was transferred to Iraq. I am not sure what I heard that some hackers stole the government-banks in the U.S. which is not clear right now - probably, our government is covering up for its mistakes.

Webexplorer, Thanks for your responding,

That's right, i loves ITT TECH but one thing problem is who will admit to pay me for go to school then? That's why, My cousin who is experience and suggestion me to find other college. By the way, I heard some people said that they is happy with Gateway Technical College(GTC), i trying to visit GTC on Dec 10th for meet with Counselor. I want to ask them if they does offer for Major Trade then i will go for it, you know what i sayin? I want to get a Bachelors degree in the future because of my family. I want to support my own family for their best future and i want to see all of us will be successful. For your information, I am only 21 years old, nigga here, lolz! Also i recently applied Postal Office because i need a job so i can enough budget for myself. Postal Office is under of Federal, right? I really hope that they can pay me for go to school, tho. I hope they will hires me because i can show them as good i am!
I do not wanna to be end of it as same my guys. I want my family is coming 1st. I had a lot of reasons for good!

Yeah, my friends told me about BUSH! It's lame because all of people believe him but he is LYING and never tell us what's going on with white house. What their prepare for this America? Bush never focus on this America since 9/11. There is a lot of people who is go war in Iraq and dead in there... that's US American who is voted for BUSH... that's their loss. It's fking it up in this America but Right now, Obama will not give up on BUSH because He the one who is responsibility on this America. Is that tru, Bush is going to court because Obama wanted to know where is the money went? I curious, that's all. I don't have time to read politics too much, lolz! I really wish Obama will give money away for Deaf and Hard of hearing people who is going to college for free fee, tutorial, book, supplies, and gas!

I am wondering what kind of counselor that you will see on December 10?

A high school counselor's job is to help you to get in the school that you want to attend. Most high school counselors usually are good at convincing college agent so that the college will accept you to enroll in IIT TECH.

Are there any kinds of opening jobs at ITT TECH? If there is one, apply it immediately. I mean immediately. If you have to get a job as a janitor at ITT TECH, then it allows you to take the classes - maybe free at nights - not exact sure if I remember. But, remember nothing is free anywhere in the U.S. Here is the link: ITT Tech | Campus Programs FAQ

You need to make some "accepted" agreements with your wife or girlfriend before you get the job because your children will need your attention, and your wife/gf needs your energy to help her as cooking and cleaning up . Also, it helps you to balance and support each other. Taking care of children is a really tough especially no job and college stress because it is a sort of your fault for not making good plans for the future. I hope that you know how to cook real food - not frozen ready packages. I don't want you to think that I'm right or wrong. I'm just giving you some ideas and some brainstorm for the list.

For DVR, you might have to give up some things such willing to pay a little for your tuition and meals. I paid almost half of everything, and I was half disappointed because many students get free everything at NTID, but I made it thru which was pretty good. I was very fortunately at the time the bus ride was free for five years until Bush became the president and screwed up everything in our country.

For the transportation, you need to find how if there is a commercial bus for free which is only for college students. I may think that you missed some information right now that you didn't know what other students have for example, free bus rides, used books, and some other few things.

Ask your Dad to help you some of his money to support you and meet your needs. You have to convince him with a good reason. Use the word "Need" and don't use the word "Want." Need and Want are not the same. ;)

Thanks for your responding, Lighthouse77

Lolz, i agreed with you but My wife and i can't move for that because that area is very, very racist and strict. Also, we can't afford for that high taxes. That's why, my wife and i like it in our area because of lowest taxes and our families lived here too.

I recently asked DVR to help me out for pay my tickets and SR-22 insurance but DVR said it's not their problems... seem they act they don't care about deaf and hard of hearing people's issue. I still not understand why did they working for Division Vocational Rehabilitation, I thought DVR mean will help deaf and hard of hearing 100% until they satisfy but not!

DVR does not get involved with any tickets and car (SR-22 insurance) insurance because they are not related to DVR. DVR primarily focuses on assisting people with disabilities to retain for job, getting vocation or college training, assistive technology services, etc relating to jobs only. Your car insurance and tickets are your solely responsibility.

I do pay my own speeding tickets and car insurance myself.

A high school counselor's job is to help you to get in the school that you want to attend. Most high school counselors usually are good at convincing college agent so that the college will accept you to enroll in IIT TECH.

Are there any kinds of opening jobs at ITT TECH? If there is one, apply it immediately. I mean immediately. If you have to get a job as a janitor at ITT TECH, then it allows you to take the classes - maybe free at nights - not exact sure if I remember. But, remember nothing is free anywhere in the U.S. Here is the link: ITT Tech | Campus Programs FAQ

You need to make some "accepted" agreements with your wife or girlfriend before you get the job because your children will need your attention, and your wife/gf needs your energy to help her as cooking and cleaning up . Also, it helps you to balance and support each other. Taking care of children is a really tough especially no job and college stress because it is a sort of your fault for not making good plans for the future. I hope that you know how to cook real food - not frozen ready packages. I don't want you to think that I'm right or wrong. I'm just giving you some ideas and some brainstorm for the list.

For DVR, you might have to give up some things such willing to pay a little for your tuition and meals. I paid almost half of everything, and I was half disappointed because many students get free everything at NTID, but I made it thru which was pretty good. I was very fortunately at the time the bus ride was free for five years until Bush became the president and screwed up everything in our country.

For the transportation, you need to find how if there is a commercial bus for free which is only for college students. I may think that you missed some information right now that you didn't know what other students have for example, free bus rides, used books, and some other few things.

Ask your Dad to help you some of his money to support you and meet your needs. You have to convince him with a good reason. Use the word "Need" and don't use the word "Want." Need and Want are not the same. ;)

That's another reason to be closer to college and work. It gives him more time with family at home. Those extra 15 minute bus ride could shorten to 5 minutes. and you have more time to study and spend with your wife and children.

If it is less than 5 miles, it's not worth it :)

But neither is taking too much time going back and forth is either. You'll end up not having any time with your family.

I am not exact sure that he uses his wheelchair. I hope that he has a special card to ride on a free transportation to the school. I believe that it's the law.

Webexplorer, Lolz, Hell yea, i am good cook as hell! My wife is housewife responsibility, take care of the house and take care of our babies. I am the one who is responsibility that i have to take care of bills and find a job/college that's all i do. My wife want to see me to be successful because she do not like that i always crabby over people who had a good life. That's why, it's time for me to stand up and leave my friends for a while until i need to focus on my family and myself. I just want to do something for my life and support my family, you know what i saying? Look at me, I got my own house, able to enough budget for my bills, still taking my kids go to their kids group for learning with speech/sign language, and cook every Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Also i still have a pitbull dog(4 month old) My wife is cleaning the house everyday, cooking Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday, Have a Doctor, Wic, and taking my kids going to Kids Group for evenings. Of course, we do have good prepare/schedule and do somethings for us. My wife and i always discuss for everythings what we should to have some thing to do right or not right! We are responsibility parent and not depend on our family all the time but of course, we always ask our family for grocery stores. Sometime i ask my friends for borrow their car that we need go to shopping, you know what i saying?

I wish i can ask my teachers but right now, some of those teachers is retired, quit, or transferred to their new job. I not able to contact with them because i only graduated for almost 4 years old. I don't think so that high school does had a counselor. I am talking about in College, i will be meet with Counselor. By the way, I did asked ITT TECH but they are full because that school is very small and hire is not current available now. That's why, i am looking for a jobs asap. You know what? I am look forwarded to hear from them when they want to interview with me because i was checking on my application status from Us Postal Office.

By the way, lolz, For your information... My home is in Milwaukee and my school is in Greenfield... Again! i said I have to take three transit buses in one hour and 30 minutes! I would saying about take up to 20 miles. That's why, I do not wanna to take buses at night anymore every seasons because it's not safe for me as well because i am deaf.

I can't ask my dad all the time because he is in serious condition and live in Mississippi. He have to pay his medicine and hospital like that. I will talk to him when i visit him in Dec because he will pay our tickets that he want to see his grandchildren, that's why.

DVR does not get involved with any tickets and car (SR-22 insurance) insurance because they are not related to DVR. DVR primarily focuses on assisting people with disabilities to retain for job, getting vocation or college training, assistive technology services, etc relating to jobs only. Your car insurance and tickets are your solely responsibility.

I do pay my own speeding tickets and car insurance myself.

oh okay, i understand right now! Dvr counselor saying same things. I guess i need to get a job then?

That's another reason to be closer to college and work. It gives him more time with family at home. Those extra 15 minute bus ride could shorten to 5 minutes. and you have more time to study and spend with your wife and children.

No, most time i staying in library at school and there is has a tutor. I love it, i tell you. It's my responsibility to spend time with my family in every morning. You sound like my great-grandma said same things, lolz! She said "you can go to college but you MUST spend time with your wife and children!" Of course, i am scare of her because she is the one who force me go to college. She agreed with me that it's not safe for me as well about go to college at night.

I am not exact sure that he uses his wheelchair. I hope that he has a special card to ride on a free transportation to the school. I believe that it's the law.

lolz i wish... it's called Milwaukee Transit Plus but i do not have any problem myself but special is my deaf, that's all. Those bus will not across the border if different county. Only Milwaukee county that's why, i need my drive license to UN-suspended! I have to waiting for my driver license will be Un-Suspended until Jan-2010.

It's good to know that you manage well with your living and home. Wow, that's way too long to ride on the bus. You are right that you need a car! Please don't make a mistake for another suspension. It is not worth it if your friends tell you the fool things that might make you to believe it for fun. It's because many of us just don't trust some cops - who knows whether a cop might be doing a stupid thing on his duty. i.e. a giant cop man with a tiny tun gun because he has a pea brain. Just like an elephant is afraid of a mouse.

Just pretending that you are an "old man and be wise." Wear nice clothes in front of people that you have not met or at work - of course. You will be fine after all as long as they don't across your line because you have to protect your life and your family.

I think that it would be a nice to be a deaf owner of a business someday. I am not exact sure how you will make money in the Software Engineer. How long will you "finish" your goal? 5 years or 10 years? Will you able to make money awhile you are at the school? It is nice to think of something in our dream, but the reality is not a dream. That's two different worlds between dream and reality. Many of us have the same problem.

Maybe, you could run a printer company owner instead of Software Engineer, or you could do both goals (probably not same time) for your backup career. My brother-in-law owns seven print shops for over 20 years, and he is doing very well in the business.

If you really love to be in the Software Engineer, then that's good as long as you know what you are doing. Except the money, that's where you have to find one. A loan from a bank is risk unless you founded a business. I'm not expert this one. You could try and ask someone on "Personal Finances" thread in the front website (Personal Finances - AllDeaf.com) , and someone might have some advices for you on your post. :thumb:

No, most time i staying in library at school and there is has a tutor. I love it, i tell you. It's my responsibility to spend time with my family in every morning. You sound like my great-grandma said same things, lolz! She said "you can go to college but you MUST spend time with your wife and children!" Of course, i am scare of her because she is the one who force me go to college. She agreed with me that it's not safe for me as well about go to college at night.

well, I like your grandma because she is right. give her a high five for me :)

Yes, it is your responsibility to manage your time wisely. It's very easy for family to fall apart if you don't. You can easily get carried away with college and work.

Back