Its that time - CI batteries

neecy

Reaction score
Its time to make my first purchase of batteries for my Freedom, having finally run out of my free supply. I currently use the PowerOne Implant Plus batteries, but there are SO many different batteries on the market for CI's, I'm wondering if anyone has had success with other batteries in their Freedom that have a comparative price to the PowerOne brand?

I use the Powerone too...( order from abroad as I live in Greece ) b/c I trusted that one..anyways some friends told me that Rayovac are better..Maybe you could purchase a couple of trial packs and try and find the most suitable brand for you?

The brands I see at my site are

Powerone
Rayovac
Zenipower
Toshiba
Panasonic

I use the PowerOne brand simply I have insurance coverage that will pay some of the cost of batteries. If i did not have insurance coverage Iwould try the trial pack of different makes of the same battery type to see if I can tell a difference in the makes otherwise I go to the cheapest one like the Zenipower.

I tried the Zenipower batteries, but found that they only gave me 2 days of battery life compared to 4 with Power One Implant Plus. That's something you might want to consider when choosing a battery brand -- especially if you have high powered maps like I do. I've also found that Power One Implant Plus brand batteries have a better (i.e. clearer) sound quality compared to other brands like Zenipower, but I agree with the posters above: try the trial packs and make a note of which batteries give you the longest battery life. Also consider the difference in sound quality between each brand. Sometimes it may be worth it to pay a little extra more for better performance (i.e. battery life) and sound quality.

I use Zenipower and find that it consistently goes for a few hours longer than the Powerone, with no difference in sound quality. It's much cheaper for me to buy.

I think you should experiment because we all seem to get different results. I have friends who have also experienced superior results with Zenipower but others who prefer Powerone. It could be a feature of our maps?

R2 that definitely can be a feature with the maps - remember we all can have different settings on it - mine is set for 1800 pulses per second, I remember testing 800, 1200, 1800, and I think it was 2400 during the clinical trials to see if a higher setting meant clearer hearing. It didn't.

Thanks R2, I've ordered a couple packs of zenipower batteries from microbattery.com and will give them a test drive before making a big purchase.

Considered investing in rechargeable batteries?
We have them for Lotte, and it makes life very easy...
(See her blog)

it all depends on the current maps that you are using and how many hours you are wearing the implant. I am unlikely to to have the one rechargeable battery to last the whole day. I did not get the rechargeables with my freedom. It would cost me $550 to get the Rechargeable Battery Kit plus $195 to get the third battery in order to make this work for me. It is not cost effective for me at this point since I still have some insurance coverage for the cost of the batteries. However this is still a option for others.

Cloggy - I discussed rechargeable batteries with my audie, but with my current map I'd have to change them every 12 hours, and that's just too much a hassle when I get a little over 2 days from 3 disposable batteries.

Cloggy - I discussed rechargeable batteries with my audie, but with my current map I'd have to change them every 12 hours, and that's just too much a hassle when I get a little over 2 days from 3 disposable batteries.

I've suggested the same thing to my audie and her reply was very similar to yours.

I use zenipower. i think you can trial different types from microbattery. I've found that I get around the same as powerone. Of course I have used regular batteries bought in an emergency (forgot to bring some) and they seem to last almost as long as the CI batteries for me. Hope you find a battery that works well for you.

i doubt cloggy is talking about ordinary rechargables, its likely he is suggesting to look at lithuim type batteries. I use those type for my digital camera and they are much much better, more intense flashing power, and also have long batteries energy storage periods. So imagine the quality performance you might expect from your CIs

What chances are if these lithuim 675 does exist, i don't know. To be honest since i dont use or have CI but i do use 675's on the digital HA, but for all I know or imagine it might be difficult to source them. but if you can get it, especially for high-use of 675's I reckon it would be well worth it.

But i do know you can get them in AA size as I have the camera. It might still be useful for those big processors? still would be worth it if you can't trace the lihuim in 675 size...since the AA lithuim arent too expensive as John57 has just described, WOW! pretty bad......keep looking...

good luck :)

Grummer,

I am not sure if Cloggy is talking about the body or the BTE rechargeables. The Freedom lithuim Ion cost is higher and it is part of the battery cage and acts like it is one battery for the BTE version. Depending on the user maps the cochlear implants are high current devices and the lithuim Ion battery that deiver current in a small package and fit in within a BTE case cost more. Some users are waiting for AB to deliver a wired battery pack that will use the bigger and cheaper rechargeables batteries for the BTE. On the freedom there is a body wired controller option that you can get that can allow you to use cheaper rechargeables if you do no mind havin wires down on your neck.

I use the rechargeable Freedom batteries and get between 11-13 hours. I carry my extra rechargeable all the time. I normally have to change it on my drive home from work and then run about 30% of the charge of the second before I go to bed. The powerone disposable last around 2 days which is nice but can figure I'd get caught without batteries more often. I'm in a routine now and it is working well for me.

What I have noticed is that when I run 3500 pulse/sec, I find the disposable batteries can not keep up with the discharge rate that the rechargeable can. I confirmed this with Cochlear. Running that program gives me 5-7 hours but I only use that map if I realize I am having trouble hearing a particular sound and use it to relearn the sound. I have not had to use it much in the past 6 months and will probably do away with that speed at the next mapping. I currently run 1800 pulse/sec and find that the easiest to use.

Good luck in your search.

Grummer - Cloggy is talking about rechargeable batteries for the Freedom BTE. Freedom has both rechargeables or 675s (they have to be the much Higher powered ones otherwise the standard 675s will die out faster). AB Harmony has just rechargeables. There's no such thing as rechargeable 675s like you said.

John - Cloggy is talking about the BTE.

Steve - interesting. I have to ask my audi what's my speed. I recently switched (moved from NJ to Las Vegas), and this audi is much more familiar. I can last for 2 1/2 days on rechargables. Left DR is 42, Right DR is 28 (I don't know my speed though). On regular 675s (not CI batteries), I last for 8 days. On PowerOne 675 batteries, I last about 5 to 6 days (?!?!). Right now, I'm just using the rechargeables since I got 4 with both surgeries. So, it's no sense letting it sit there and not do anything.

Good luck with your new batteries Neecy!

Does it have to be a specific brand?

What size is it?

You can buy a 100-pack of AA batteries at Fry's for $20. :)

I got it because my parents are always using batteries for things around the house... television/DVD remotes, baby monitor, sonic scrubber, etc. I also use them for my clock, my flashlights, and a few other things. I bought the 100-pack last September. I still have 60 batteries left and they're all good for another 6 years (expire 2014). ;)

Vampyrox - the batteries for a CI are a special high-power 675 button battery (or rechargeable battery pack) and therefore are much more expensive. You can't use just regular batteries (like AA or AAA) that you use in clocks or flashlights.

I go through three PowerOne Implant Plus batteries every 2 days with my CI. Cochlear sells 300 batteries (I go through approximately 500 batteries a year) for $190. I'm going to give the Zenipower batteries from www.microbattery.com a try as 300 of their batteries are only $100, and that's quite a difference. I'll know better once my sample pack comes in and I can compare them with the ones I currently use. I'd LOVE to be able to buy 100 of these for just $20!! Maybe one day!

Vampyrox - the batteries for a CI are a special high-power 675 button battery (or rechargeable battery pack) and therefore are much more expensive. You can't use just regular batteries (like AA or AAA) that you use in clocks or flashlights.

I go through three PowerOne Implant Plus batteries every 2 days with my CI. Cochlear sells 300 batteries (I go through approximately 500 batteries a year) for $190. I'm going to give the Zenipower batteries from Watch Batteries, Hearing Aid Batteries, Cochlear Implant Batteries, Lithium and Sealed Lead Acid batteries, Battery Chargers a try as 300 of their batteries are only $100, and that's quite a difference. I'll know better once my sample pack comes in and I can compare them with the ones I currently use. I'd LOVE to be able to buy 100 of these for just $20!! Maybe one day!
Oh, never mind then.

I didn't know what batteries CIs use. :dunno:

Vampyrox - these are the kind of batteries that I use:
p_freedom_PowerOneImplantPlus.jpg

I use three of them at a time in a battery holder like this:
p_freedom_freedombatteryholder.jpg

Back