It's ok to add friends now....

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
When I was with my ex girlfriend, she loved to take pictures and tag me whenever we went out of town. The whole world would know that I was out of town with my ex. I had to worry about whether my things would get stolen.

Now that I am single(not for long, I hope), I would like to add friends. Since I'm on my own, I've chose to not disclose where I am to my facebook friends. I would not mind adding friends.

I hope that I can use my facebook page to discuss bikes, vintage items, different ideas, and interesting trends. Plus, share dogs that needs home. No more need to worry about people wondering whether I am home or not.

I'm not on facebook, but I see no reason why you can't do it. If people on your list have a problem with not knowing where you are, and you want to let them know, make other arrangements for it.

The step daughter did that all the time, I would specifically state do not tell anyone we are going out to eat, vacation...ect... and she would post as soon as we walked out the door...
Its 530 we left the house to go eat
its 600 we are at Chevys
its 730 we are at the Mall
its 900 we are....
Damn Id done had the house cleaned out of 5 laptops, couple 36"tvs/DVD players, tools, toys...ect...
Kids dont understand what they set themselves or their families up for by posting every waking momment up on facebook. A sexual preditor lurking for a time when the parents arent home... it will bite them in the ass one day.

Anyways I facebook quite a bit, recently cleaned out the friends list since most I didnt know as they were just added over the years through mutual friends. Im starting over, looking for new friends since Im not allowed to be friends with my soon to be ex's friends ( always has to be secretive about her life )
Me, I tell it like it is... if you dont like it un-friend me...lol
I dont hide or have anything to hide so if you dont like what I have to say...tough.
I have posted jokes and whatever or just ranting and certain people always thinks its about them...geeze get a life Post Police ! lol

Wow. I never thought about that. Posting where you are, and then having your house broken into. Everyone on my friends list on FB are all good friends and relatives. No strangers. So I never thought to worry about break-ins, but I guess I'm still not worried given who's on my list. I usually don't post my location very often anyway -- I just put up cute pictures! :)

Wow. I never thought about that. Posting where you are, and then having your house broken into. Everyone on my friends list on FB are all good friends and relatives. No strangers. So I never thought to worry about break-ins, but I guess I'm still not worried given who's on my list. I usually don't post my location very often anyway -- I just put up cute pictures! :)
A few things to ponder are...

Have you seen a post a friend posted of another post (shared) but you cannot comment on...usually because you are not a friend of that original poster... seen other posts that you are not friends with....?

Although you arent friends with everyone, your friends frinends of friends,,,,lol they can see your posts, they may not be able to comment because they arent a friend of yours on facebook but they can surely see your posts. I had several posts I could read but not comment on because I wasnt a friend of that poster... Just to show whoever shares/is friended on your posts those total strangers they are friends with can see them and who knows who they are friends with on down the line.

Like someone I know wont friend me, but I am friends with others who are friended with them so I can still see the posts even though they have it marked as private or friends only to see.... there are lots of glitches in all online sites. Since Facebook people uses their real names, you can search them, I have done police records check on people and if you ever had a speeding ticket your address is online too, I know mine is....lol

I am trying to think of whenever I've seen someone post something to someone that's not a friend of mine, and I can't think of an occasion. But I get what you are saying.

Good advice for those who are always posting their location. I bet I've done it only 3 or 4 times in the past 3 or 4 years, so I really don't publicize my whereabouts often at all.

Just cute pics !! ;)

I have insurance, so I don't really worry that much. Plus I am fairly careful on who I befriend.

Friends and acquaintances are more likely to rob you than total strangers, so it's normal to be cautious about that.

I usually wait a few days after I've gone to something to post about it online for the same reasons: I don't need people who know where I live to know I won't be home.

I don't need to create an opportunity for crime for anyone.

Few people realize their mistakes till its done and over. The stepdaughter has a BadBoy boyfriend who stole anything and everything to get drugs, we didnt like him but Mom, didnt want to push her to break up because she always threatened to run away...oh boo hoo...
But she would post ever minute of her life ( when she or us were leaving..ect...) did it once as we were leaving for a weekend to the outlaws, nope, turned around and came home. Sure enough, the kid with no car or life living several miles away showed up in the hood up to no good. Co-Inky-Dink? ( coincidence? )

Not only is it considered a security risk where people know where you are, it's also annoying when it's the only thing that comes up on other people's live feed.

I had a few people on my friends list who would posts constant updates. One guy would comment on every single action he did for the day... waking up, bathroom, breakfast, driving, work, lunch, work, driving, dinner, television, bedtime... and repeat. Another would post Pinterest stuff every 15 minutes (she was doing this while she was at work... I'm surprised she hasn't gotten fired yet).

His name wasnt James by chance was it? I knew a guy from school and he even posted pictures on facebook when he was on the shitter, everywhere he went, even manicures/facials... I swear he was coming out gay...lol
We had a bit of a falling out because he didnt like my comments, so he blocked me, then would send me offers to buy stuff...yeah right ( he owns a business he runs from home ) I was like, you cant be a friend well its a 2 way street too.

you could try Ecwid for bike stuff.you can disguising your presense,go back to main fb pageclick padlock icon next to home button 'who can contact me'click drop down menue send me friend requests and you choose.

For FB -- check your settings in Privacy.. Many settings can be changed to only certain people can see your posts or only your Friends.. Not "friends of friends"

I dont even post pictures right away when I am out.. I rather wait until I return a day or two later! :) Then nobody would know I was out.. Or even better -- if someone tags me, I have the option turned on that I must review and see the post/picture before it ends up on my FB wall. :) If anyone needs help with how to do it, let me know -- i can take screen shots with instructions or probably there is a link explaining all that already. :)

My biggest worry is the public knowing my home address. Friends post they are at my house and tag me.... I don't allow it on my wall. My Facebook has something like 800 friends and my professional page that links to my personal facebook has something like 600..... I can't be too private if I want to get clients for my business but I won't ever post a location or approve a tag from my home address. I never thought about that though seeing when you're home and stealing your stuff......

Yeah crooks also loves to read the obituaries to see when people are at a wake or funeral .

Yea.. I've seen the sad news of someone who tweeted how long he was going to be gone on vacation only to come back to a completely empty house! :p Internet has its pros and cons.. But on the plus side -- its great when you're actually meeting nice friends worth talking to & getting to know. :)

My biggest worry is the public knowing my home address. Friends post they are at my house and tag me.... I don't allow it on my wall. My Facebook has something like 800 friends and my professional page that links to my personal facebook has something like 600..... I can't be too private if I want to get clients for my business but I won't ever post a location or approve a tag from my home address. I never thought about that though seeing when you're home and stealing your stuff......

Eight hundred friends, that's a lot of people. There is no way you can check what all those people post. Perhaps you could search for your address once in a while.

Also, in every photo you take with a phone the camera embeds a geographic location so it can be determined.

What bothers me today is if you put a picture up on the web there are apps that can find out who you are through facial recognition. It's pretty scary, but in public anyone has the right to take your picture.

bit stupid saying so much on fb

There is a false sense of security. I really hate this whole cloud push to steal people's stuff. It should be illegal. What do people think happens to that data?

What really amazes me is the people who play poker online and expect it not to be rigged.

Yea.. I've seen the sad news of someone who tweeted how long he was going to be gone on vacation only to come back to a completely empty house! :p Internet has its pros and cons.. But on the plus side -- its great when you're actually meeting nice friends worth talking to & getting to know. :)

Crooks loves to read the society page in the news paper , people write they're going for 3 weeks to bla bla bla. And when they get back home they waw waw waw!!

Back