It's been a long time since I was here

Alisteal

Reaction score
I joined in 2005 after getting my hearing retested and trying to get hearing aids. I was informed not politely that I wasn't able to get them because Medicaid wouldn't cover them.

My hearing has gotten worse, so much so I've had some scares not being able to tell where my children are and not being able to hear the only time my youngest daughter cried.

I've been doing reading and I SHOULD qualify to get at least 1 hearing aid with Medicaid! I've got an appointment with the Audiologist on Tuesday at 9 am. But I'm calling Medicaid in the morning to make sure that I will be able to get something done. There is nothing more heartstopping then yelling for my child and hearing her voice and not being able to find her

if i were you, i'd definitely call medicaid tomorrow morning to find out exactly what they will and won't cover. this varies from state to state, but here in wisconsin, they will pay for at least one hearing aid and if you're visually impaired or blind, they will pay for two. good luck!

Thank you! I'm in Indiana and from what I've found online ESPECIALLY since I'm the mother of young children they should cover at least one. But I'm going to make sure of that before I get my hopes up kwim?

A lot of places give out vouchers and grants for hearing aids. Have you tried your local Lions club or such places?

If Medicaid doesn't approve of it. I would research and ask around for places that gives out grants and pays for hearing aids for people that can not afford them.

I tried the vocational Rehab in 2005 and they said I didn't qualify. Didn't look into lions club! If medicaid doesn't cover me (although their site says they will) I will definitely get ahold of them! TY!

I tried the vocational Rehab in 2005 and they said I didn't qualify. Didn't look into lions club! If medicaid doesn't cover me (although their site says they will) I will definitely get ahold of them! TY!

you are welcome.

I do not have medicaid but I did get a grant through the audiologist office due to I could not afford one.

I'm not sure what the grant affiliated with but I got a brand new HA. They only paid for one since I already had a working HA.

Helped me a lot.

Thank you! I'm in Indiana and from what I've found online ESPECIALLY since I'm the mother of young children they should cover at least one. But I'm going to make sure of that before I get my hopes up kwim?

yes, i think that's an excellent idea. i would also strongly suggest that you look into the lions club since they have a specific program designed to provide hearing aids to those in need.

you are welcome.

I do not have medicaid but I did get a grant through the audiologist office due to I could not afford one.

I'm not sure what the grant affiliated with but I got a brand new HA. They only paid for one since I already had a working HA.

Helped me a lot.

I've been to my audiologist before for my daughter so she's really nice, so hopefully something can be worked out somehow :)

I'll let you all know tomorrow what the Medicaid office says though! Send up some prayers and good thoughts for me

I've been to my audiologist before for my daughter so she's really nice, so hopefully something can be worked out somehow :)

I'll let you all know tomorrow what the Medicaid office says though! Send up some prayers and good thoughts for me

Sure thing.

Keep me posted.

Good luck!

I will defiantly keep you in my thoughts.

yes, i think that's an excellent idea. i would also strongly suggest that you look into the lions club since they have a specific program designed to provide hearing aids to those in need.

If medicaid says no in the morning I'll go ahead and find a Lions club tomorrow afternoon

OK I just heard back from Medicaid. They said that the audiologist would have to fill out a pre-authorization paper but I should be covered to at LEAST get 1 hearing aid but since I'm visually impaired two they'll likely cover both. She also said there is NO 30 pre-auth like I was worried about, she said they usually get those back to the drs right away! So I have hope!!!

that's good news! i'm also glad you inquired about people who are visually impaired. i'm totally blind, so in my case, medicaid always paid for 2 hearing aids.

by the way, if you don't mind my asking, what is the extent of your visual impairment? are you legally blind?

I've got retinitis pigmentosa. It's a kind of retinal dystrophy. Currently I've got complete night blindness and very bad eyesight in the daytime. There is a chance that in the next some years of my life I'll get tunnel vision and then by the time I'm 50 be completely blind, it might NOT happen that way it's just unknown right now

oic. i'm very familiar with RP. several members of my deafblind support group have RP.

It's kind of scary. I hope that's not offensive to you. But I have a huge fear of loosing my site. I'm a photographer and the thought I may someday not have that is scary

i understand. that's exactly how most people in my deafblind support group feel. your fear is completely normal. if you ever have questions about products, services or resources for those who are totally blind, let me know. i have plenty of them. by the way, one of my best friends is totally blind and a photographer. even if you lose your vision, you may not have to give up your photography.

Awww Thank you for telling me that. I admit I'm teary eyed now. Just hearing that there is a chance even if the worst happens makes me happy. I'll enjoy my life as it is now and not worry about the bad until it happens. Thank you for telling me about your friend and for the support. *hugs*

Aww TY :) I've faced worse Challenges and lived through them. So I will overcome whatever is thrown my way. I might have dark days, but eventually it will get better :)

Back