It's About Time for a New Hearing Aid

Phi4Sius

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!!! Long time no chat :) :wave:

My hearing aid is due for a replacement as it is at the 4-5 year mark where these things tend to just go for no reason, so I'm going to purchase a new one. My audiologist has recommended a Phonak NAIDA Q for my hearing loss in my right ear (listed below):

Right ear: 60 dB 250 Hz / 65 dB 500 Hz / 70 dB 1000 Hz / 75 dB 2000 Hz / 85 dB 3000 Hz / 100 dB 4000 (and that's it)
Left Ear: Deaf

So, I wanted to get feedback as to how everyone feels the aid benefits them. Especially with music. I would imagine the transitional processing feature will make music sound weird because all the sounds in the higher octaves will be moved down to the lower octaves, so I probably want to avoid that and use a normal program for music. Am I correct in this assertion?

But, what is your feedback on normal use with the transitional processing? What can you hear now that you didn't hear before? What kind of improvement in your daily hearing did you experience?

Also, looking at the brochure I noticed the iCom, and found out that the latest version of this technology is the ComPilot. I don't see too many posts on this forum about the ComPilot, and I was wondering what everyone thinks about this device. I would love to not have to wear headphones when listening to my TV or iMac (since I do live in an environment where I need to be quiet at night), and this would help me with this immensely.

How is sound quality of the ComPilot? How is the quality of this device? Does it really stream the audio wirelessly in great quality to your Phonak hearing aid? Does it stack up to every day use well? This sounds like an amazing device and something I should seriously get with my new hearing aid. I would love not wearing head phones again!! :D

Last edited:
Personally I would get the Naida Q especially as you are missing your top high freqeuncies. Your loss would fit the Naida UP which means a 675 battery which would last longer then a 13 battery.

Regarding music and sound recover, you just need a music program with everything turned off including sound recover which means music sounds better.

The ComPilot would also act as a remote with your Naida Q hearing aids as well as a streamer. The ComPilot uses individual program's within your hearing aids (doesn't take up your program slots tho) so they can be individually programmed for you liking.

The ComPilot streams in stereo which is rather cool altho that won't help you. I did have the ComPilot before I got the Smartlink + and ML10is receivers. For me the Smartlink does the job for me more then the ComPilot so I got rid of the ComPilot but it is good quality.

I personally can hear more with Sound Recover then without, more so things like fire alarms etc.

Sound Recover = Transitional Processing.

Thank you NaidaUP and SarfariGirl2011. I've read just about everything I can get my hands on regarding the Naidas over this past weekend but it still doesn't seem like I've read enough.

I guess the next step is to try them. I may end up being able to do so over the next week or two when I get paid and I order the Naida + ComPilot.

Exciting! I can't wait. Waiting for these kinds of things is always hard for me.

I have a Nadia Q RIC, and I am very pleased with it. My only complaint is that I can't get cool custom colored earmolds anymore, but it worth the sound and hearing aid quality. :lol:
Good luck with the Q!

I have a Nadia Q RIC, and I am very pleased with it. My only complaint is that I can't get cool custom colored earmolds anymore, but it worth the sound and hearing aid quality. :lol:
Good luck with the Q!

LOL that's why I'm a girl who wears hypnoallergenic clear coloreds ones
(Phil, you're welcome anytime)

Let us know how you get on! :)

Definitely!!! Although, my audiologist is now on vacation for three weeks but I get paid Friday. So I will be sitting here for one week waiting to get paid, and two additional weeks waiting for my audiologist to get back. Dangit!!! I am never patient when it comes to this kind of stuff. I can't wait to get my new hearing aid!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Definitely!!! Although, my audiologist is now on vacation for three weeks but I get paid Friday. So I will be sitting here for one week waiting to get paid, and two additional weeks waiting for my audiologist to get back. Dangit!!! I am never patient when it comes to this kind of stuff. I can't wait to get my new hearing aid!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Oh that's a bummer! :|

Altho 3 weeks is a good amount of time to make sure you get a color you really like :D

Naida aids didn't fancy me. Working with seismen aid right now. Other choice would be ociton chill.

Naida aids didn't fancy me. Working with seismen aid right now. Other choice would be ociton chill.

lol that's funny because I almost brought a Naida 3 years ago and I was so keen on the hearing aid with swag so went with that hearing aid I have now

Another week until my audie gets back. This is driving me nuts.

Argh!!

On the other hand, this gives me time for as much research as possible. After doing further research I am now looking into the Oticons. I will ask my audie what he thinks. I'm thinking I will splurge and grab the Oticon Agil or Oticon Agil pro or Chili SP9. I've heard great things about both of them, especially from those who have switched from Phonak to Oticon saying that Oticon has a much more natural sound compared to the tinny, mechanical sound of the Phonaks. Plus, I really really like the look of the Oticon streamer compared to Phonak's ComPilot - the streamer looks more like Apple made it and looks like an iPhone accessory. Of course - looks are second to my top priority, making sure I get the right hearing device for my needs. I want to keep this hearing aid for a long time.

What does everyone else think about Oticon's Chili/Agils compared to the Phonak NAIDA Q?

Another week until my audie gets back. This is driving me nuts.

Argh!!

On the other hand, this gives me time for as much research as possible. After doing further research I am now looking into the Oticons. I will ask my audie what he thinks. I'm thinking I will splurge and grab the Oticon Agil or Oticon Agil pro or Chili SP9. I've heard great things about both of them, especially from those who have switched from Phonak to Oticon saying that Oticon has a much more natural sound compared to the tinny, mechanical sound of the Phonaks. Plus, I really really like the look of the Oticon streamer compared to Phonak's ComPilot - the streamer looks more like Apple made it and looks like an iPhone accessory. Of course - looks are second to my top priority, making sure I get the right hearing device for my needs. I want to keep this hearing aid for a long time.

What does everyone else think about Oticon's Chili/Agils compared to the Phonak NAIDA Q?

As you say the Oticon has a better natural sound to it. I've been wanting to try the Oticon Chilli for ages b/c of what people say about the sound but my Audi says they are not powerful enough for my loss :(

If your loss fits the Oticon, I would give it ago.

Only downside is I don't think the Oticon has anything like sound recover to help make high frequencies audible.

lol not unless you have a streamer that can control your hearing aids by turning it up or down ;)

I would suggest getting trial periods for both Naida and Chili's, so you can try them both out and decide which one will work out better for you.

the chilli is m next aid if the Nitro of semimes is not improved in final tune up. I did asked a fellow audio from Ireland,, he said it have enough power for my need.

Hello, everyone!!! Long time no chat :) :wave:

My hearing aid is due for a replacement as it is at the 4-5 year mark where these things tend to just go for no reason, so I'm going to purchase a new one. My audiologist has recommended a Phonak NAIDA Q for my hearing loss in my right ear (listed below):

Right ear: 60 dB 250 Hz / 65 dB 500 Hz / 70 dB 1000 Hz / 75 dB 2000 Hz / 85 dB 3000 Hz / 100 dB 4000 (and that's it)
Left Ear: Deaf

So, I wanted to get feedback as to how everyone feels the aid benefits them. Especially with music. I would imagine the transitional processing feature will make music sound weird because all the sounds in the higher octaves will be moved down to the lower octaves, so I probably want to avoid that and use a normal program for music. Am I correct in this assertion?

But, what is your feedback on normal use with the transitional processing? What can you hear now that you didn't hear before? What kind of improvement in your daily hearing did you experience?

Also, looking at the brochure I noticed the iCom, and found out that the latest version of this technology is the ComPilot. I don't see too many posts on this forum about the ComPilot, and I was wondering what everyone thinks about this device. I would love to not have to wear headphones when listening to my TV or iMac (since I do live in an environment where I need to be quiet at night), and this would help me with this immensely.

How is sound quality of the ComPilot? How is the quality of this device? Does it really stream the audio wirelessly in great quality to your Phonak hearing aid? Does it stack up to every day use well? This sounds like an amazing device and something I should seriously get with my new hearing aid. I would love not wearing head phones again!! :D

I don't use com pilot but with my hearing aids (Phonak Naida) music sounds weird. The Naidas are awesome for speech and my speech understanding is much better because of the Naidas but I spent most of my life falling in love with music that has a deep bass undertone. With the Naidas my favorite songs (for example "Vietnam" by Jimmy Cliff) sounds just...wrong.
I do have DAI (direct audio input) leads for my hearing aids which helps ,USC sound less weird but I still prefer to take my hearing aids off and turn the sound up (but my hearing husband doesn't like that).

I don't use com pilot but with my hearing aids (Phonak Naida) music sounds weird. The Naidas are awesome for speech and my speech understanding is much better because of the Naidas but I spent most of my life falling in love with music that has a deep bass undertone. With the Naidas my favorite songs (for example "Vietnam" by Jimmy Cliff) sounds just...wrong.
I do have DAI (direct audio input) leads for my hearing aids which helps ,USC sound less weird but I still prefer to take my hearing aids off and turn the sound up (but my hearing husband doesn't like that).

Is that because you don't have a music program with sound recover turned off? Music will sound better with a music program :)

Back