ITE vs. BTE

SondheimGeek

Reaction score
I got new hearing aids today. I went from BTE Phonal Certanas to half-shell ITC Phonak Solanas. I have to say, I'm less than enthused.

Has anyone else transitioned from BTE to ITE models before and had issues with occlusion? I'm finding my voice to be a bit muffled and dull, which has me automatically reaching for my volume controls, which is stupid on my part.

I'm considering going back to the BTE models out of frustration.

Hmm I've never heard of someone going from bte to ite usually the other way around...I can't see the ite's bein comfortable and I can't get them anyway..but maybe give it a few days to adjust and if they are still bothering you than switch back?

BTE is always better than ITE. Just saying.

ITE is often designed for mild to moderate hearing loss, not severe to profound.

I have mi/mo, switched from ITE to BTE. The speaking through a barrel is something I just got used to. I am much happier at hearing my voice sound more natural. Fewer feedback problems, and no problems with the sound of the wind. Problem with glasses, and too much stuff behind my ears, though. But that is minor.

Why would one want to switch back?

I had the option of ITE or BTE - I picked BTE for a number of reasons and I'm very happy I did (I can't see ever going with an ITE etc now that I've had the BTE)

Yes, that's the impression I got also. That the ITE is usually for those with more mild / moderate hearing loss and isn't powerful enough for those with more of an hearing loss.

So everything sounds more natural with the BTE for you?
Not everything-- just the sound of my voice. I have seen a profile of the amplification of the BTE's, and it matches my loss much better than the profile of the ITE's. I think the technology is better. I was so uncomfortable with the "voice in the barrel" that I couldn't sing in church. Now I can let loose (and hopefully not embarrass myself). The BTE's are ReSound Ziga Silhouette. The ITE's were Siemens.

BTEs, they have more power....Plus you could do the flamboyant gay man thing, and get them in colors!!!! :)

I had my BTE when I was little for my mild hearing loss and my ITE as an adult for my severe to profound loss.

I have BTE but I have headache is issues on my BTE is conflcit to mess my mind lost my weak! I am serious share to personal my BTE

BTEs, they have more power....Plus you could do the flamboyant gay man thing, and get them in colors!!!! :)

:laugh2:

My current BTEs are navy blue, and the new BTEs next week are apparently ocean blue. I'll take anything over the boring tan/beige that I had a child.

And I'm definitely not flamboyant, lol.

Glad you decided to go back to what works. :wave: And were able to resolve any dispute with the ha vendor.

First post, so I picked a topic about which I actually know something...

BTE has immense advantages over other classes of aids, with only one disadvantage: vanity. With some of the receiver-in-canal aids, which use nearly invisible plastic-coated wires between the aid and the receiver, even vanity is less of a factor.

Some BTE advantages:
They last longer - stay cleaner - are less susceptible to earwax damage.
Less occlusion effect and greater comfort, with choices of earmold types, Comply tips.
Greater distance between mics (assuming multiple mics), thus improved phase discrimination and spatial accuracy.
Larger battery (usually), with longer life at same unit price.
When it breaks you can get a loaner.
When your ear changes shape, you only need an earmold - not an entire case.
Less feedback due to greater distance between mic and output device (called "receiver" for some reason).
More easily sold when you go to the next one.

I think there are more reasons, but that's my recollection from experience.

Back