It Time for Audiology Report to Update

Do you think the audiologist should created a new form of audiology report?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Outsider

Reaction score
This post thread is base on the old post thread title called "HOH or Deaf?" post by mbrek. This once again was an interesting discussion. Whether we are Hard of Hearing (HOH) or Deaf. This still can be a hard judgment for those who began to experiencing about their low hearing level when they aren't tone Deaf. As it is easy for those who are tone Deaf to identify themselves simply as Deaf. I have experienced this hardship wondering whether I am Deaf or HOH in my life times too.

It took me about 35 years to finally open my eye and recognize myself as whether I am Deaf or HOH. I did not have a strong opportunity to experience the real Deaf community that are surrounded by numbers. Like NTID community or Gallaudet community. I grew up where the deaf population in Western Massachusetts in a certain age group were soo small to form a Deaf community. There weren't enough Deaf social events. The school I came from wasn't really a Deaf School to me and every student I know in school that a time live far apart in different town while I was the farthest one who live about 35 miles away from school. The school I went to do not have a dorm.

Once I went to NTID for about almost 3 years, I attend to a Deaf Culture class and did learn little better about the Deaf life. After college, I still had this troubling mind about whether I am Deaf or not. Because of how poorly social life I was not able get in enough to feel like one of them. At the same time, I also had this same feeling in the hearing social life as well. I always felt completely lost and felt that I was in the wrong Deaf-hood and hearing-hood. This all got me mixed up poor lifestyle.

Another reason why I have this troubling mind. It was about my inner disabled ears. The Authority of the Social Security Act; Social Security Administration would determine that I am not disabled Deaf? I find that straightly, because most hearing people would label Deaf people as disabled but not for SSA?

Here why, the Social Security Act has their own set of rule about communicating level by word recognition other than how much hearing I have while wearing my hearing aids. They say that when a hearing loss person wearing their hearing aids can recognize and understand the speaking words by over 60% is concerned not disabled Deaf. According to an audiologist, my word recognition for my right ear is up to 60%, while my left worse ear is at 4% words recognition. So this Social Security Administration determined how I am to be labeled “NOT DEAF” because of how much word I can recognize? That is soo confusion, my inner ears life just got better or worse? This bought me another wonder, how dose that apply to lip reader?

The problem is, I never had this so-called hearing lost as I have never got into an accident or illness which would cause my hearing, hearing lost? Yet, I still having trouble communicated with the hearing people? Since my left ear brings down my 60% word recognition right ear to about 56% together, that still tells me that I still am having trouble communicate with hearing people. This is one of the subject I began to realize that I am truly a Deaf man, whether I have a 10%, 20% or 50% hearing level in both ears or how this 56% words recognition is still not perfectly a hearing ear! So this, I do have both disabled inner ears. I was born with this disabled inner hearing ear. Plus, how I have been attending to a Deaf school throughout my education years with my sign language communicate skills?

So my advise for those who are not tone Deaf person, look into the Deaf culture education and see if you are one of the DEAF. By analyzing yourselves more about your inner ears life experiencing. This I believe will gave us a greater chance to discover and identify who we are and where do we belong. To be able to recognize themselves better before describing and/or labeling themselves as Deaf or HOH. Being hard of hearing is no big difference for a tone Deaf person while it is for the hearing person. So, I simply would say “I AM DEAF” even if I feel like I am closer to like a hearing person. Simple as that!

I no longer want to hear or read how the audiology report said I have a 82% HEARING LOSS in my right ear and a 93% HEARING LOSS in my left ear. Because I think it's time for the the audiologist to create a new form of audiology report for those who were BORN with a low hearing level ear/s. Leaving the old kind of hearing lost report form for those who actually lost it hearing whether it was from accident or illness.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Just as an FYI "tone deaf" means that someone is unable to tell the difference between close pitches (but it able to hear them). This totally different than being hoh or deaf - much like being red/green colour blind is a totally different type condition than actually being low vision or blind.
Those who have actual hearing loss, have Db loss. This means that on a pure tone audiogram we are unable to hear various frequencies at certain db (volumes) at all. This is different than not being able to distinguish pitches (aka tone deafness).

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

This totally different than being hoh or deaf - much like being red/green colour blind is a totally different type condition than actually being low vision or blind.

just wanted to say, good on you for using the term low vision, rather then visually impaired.

This post thread is base on the old post thread title called "HOH or Deaf?" post by mbrek. This once again was an interesting discussion. Whether we are Hard of Hearing (HOH) or Deaf. This still can be a hard judgment for those who began to experiencing about their low hearing level when they aren't tone Deaf. As it is easy for those who are tone Deaf to identify themselves simply as Deaf. I have experienced this hardship wondering whether I am Deaf or HOH in my life times too.

It took me about 35 years to finally open my eye and recognize myself as whether I am Deaf or HOH. I did not have a strong opportunity to experience the real Deaf community that are surrounded by numbers. Like NTID community or Gallaudet community. I grew up where the deaf population in Western Massachusetts in a certain age group were soo small to form a Deaf community. There weren't enough Deaf social events. The school I came from wasn't really a Deaf School to me and every student I know in school that a time live far apart in different town while I was the farthest one who live about 35 miles away from school. The school I went to do not have a dorm.

Once I went to NTID for about almost 3 years, I attend to a Deaf Culture class and did learn little better about the Deaf life. After college, I still had this troubling mind about whether I am Deaf or not. Because of how poorly social life I was not able get in enough to feel like one of them. At the same time, I also had this same feeling in the hearing social life as well. I always felt completely lost and felt that I was in the wrong Deaf-hood and hearing-hood. This all got me mixed up poor lifestyle.

Another reason why I have this troubling mind. It was about my inner disabled ears. The Authority of the Social Security Act; Social Security Administration would determine that I am not disabled Deaf? I find that straightly, because most hearing people would label Deaf people as disabled but not for SSA?

Here why, the Social Security Act has their own set of rule about communicating level by word recognition other than how much hearing I have while wearing my hearing aids. They say that when a hearing loss person wearing their hearing aids can recognize and understand the speaking words by over 60% is concerned not disabled Deaf. According to an audiologist, my word recognition for my right ear is up to 60%, while my left worse ear is at 4% words recognition. So this Social Security Administration determined how I am to be labeled “NOT DEAF” because of how much word I can recognize? That is soo confusion, my inner ears life just got better or worse? This bought me another wonder, how dose that apply to lip reader?

The problem is, I never had this so-called hearing lost as I have never got into an accident or illness which would cause my hearing, hearing lost? Yet, I still having trouble communicated with the hearing people? Since my left ear brings down my 60% word recognition right ear to about 56% together, that still tells me that I still am having trouble communicate with hearing people. This is one of the subject I began to realize that I am truly a Deaf man, whether I have a 10%, 20% or 50% hearing level in both ears or how this 56% words recognition is still not perfectly a hearing ear! So this, I do have both disabled inner ears. I was born with this disabled inner hearing ear. Plus, how I have been attending to a Deaf school throughout my education years with my sign language communicate skills?

So my advise for those who are not tone Deaf person, look into the Deaf culture education and see if you are one of the DEAF. By analyzing yourselves more about your inner ears life experiencing. This I believe will gave us a greater chance to discover and identify who we are and where do we belong. To be able to recognize themselves better before describing and/or labeling themselves as Deaf or HOH. Being hard of hearing is no big difference for a tone Deaf person while it is for the hearing person. So, I simply would say “I AM DEAF” even if I feel like I am closer to like a hearing person. Simple as that!

I no longer want to hear or read how the audiology report said I have a 82% HEARING LOSS in my right ear and a 93% HEARING LOSS in my left ear. Because I think it's time for the the audiologist to create a new form of audiology report for those who were BORN with a low hearing level ear/s. Leaving the old kind of hearing lost report form for those who actually lost it hearing whether it was from accident or illness.

Oh, did you go to Willie Ross in Longmeadow? How long ago? I know back in the day it was very oral......and it still effing irritates me that HOH folks are classifed as "more hearing then deaf" We can be just as Deaf as we are hearing.....and yanno, I think there are hoh folks who are "almost Deaf" if that makes any sense. And yes, I agree with you 100%.......I think audis and ENTS need to treat born and early dhh kids differently from age related or late deafened people.

Does relabelling actual physical conditions re: hearing loss/DEAFness alter the condition?

Being bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006- hearing NOTHING which exists to this day doesn't alter the actual condition-to me anyways.

It is reaffirmed every time I go swimming-real quiet!

More discussion in Sociology re culture

no dr Phil, but the way a person responds to the condition tends to be different. You also don't realize that hearing for born/early dhh kids is not like hearing person hearing. We approach hearing as an "other" additional foriegn sense.......

I obviously wasn't born DEAF. Can't discuss from any personal experience that situation.
Whether a person "hears" similar to Hearing person" using a Cochlear Implant-no comment.
I am not sure if the distinction is "worthwhile" in real life.

Aside: am I hearing better-right now with my Cochlear Implant than when I used my Phonak LL6 hearing aid? I have heard that I definitely "pick up much now" in comparison to before becoming bilateral DEAF in 2006.

no dr Phil, but the way a person responds to the condition tends to be different. You also don't realize that hearing for born/early dhh kids is not like hearing person hearing. We approach hearing as an "other" additional foriegn sense.......

I'm not nit picking or trying to start an argument, I'm just honestly curious and wondering if you could explain that in more depth.

I'm late deafened. And I honestly have confusion about this, I would be classified as HoH most likely, but that doesn't really seem to fully describe it. In my left I'm unaidable, profound to no response, my right is profound. Without my aid I am deaf, I can't even hear an airplane. The only sound I can hear is my own voice and that sounds very far away. With my aid, I am still very hard of hearing. My speech recognition is horrid, left ear at 115 db...0% right ear at 110db 36%. So if you ask me I'm closer to deaf than just HoH.

But my question is, why should I be classified or treated differently just because this didn't happen until my 20's or 30's, if I had had this level of hearing from birth I'd still be just as deaf. Why does is matter if it has always been like that, or didn't happen until later in life?

Because our brain wiring is different. it's not about amount of loss ...but its like............a kid blind/low vision from birth only has the most academic idea of what seeing as a sighted person is. whereas a late blinded person would know what its like to be sighted.....make sense?

Because our brain wiring is different. it's not about amount of loss ...but its like............a kid blind/low vision from birth only has the most academic idea of what seeing as a sighted person is. whereas a late blinded person would know what its like to be sighted.....make sense?

Yes and no :D I mean I see what you're saying. Like it's not just that I know what I'm missing, i know how much I'm still missing, even with my aids. I know that they help, tremendously, but it is absolutely not the same. The only time it's even close to the same is when I'm in a very quiet situation, with 0 or very little background noise and just one person talking to me. For instance I've had a new aid in my right ear for 2 weeks now, and the "best" I've heard is when my friend took me fishing last weekend. But someone who is born with loss can't recognize how much an aid, but more importantly how much it's not helping with. if that's what you meant.

But you said you think ENTs and audi's should treat us differently. I guess I should have asked how, you think they should treat us differently.

Yes and no :D I mean I see what you're saying. Like it's not just that I know what I'm missing, i know how much I'm still missing, even with my aids. I know that they help, tremendously, but it is absolutely not the same. The only time it's even close to the same is when I'm in a very quiet situation, with 0 or very little background noise and just one person talking to me. For instance I've had a new aid in my right ear for 2 weeks now, and the "best" I've heard is when my friend took me fishing last weekend. But someone who is born with loss can't recognize how much an aid, but more importantly how much it's not helping with. if that's what you meant.

But you said you think ENTs and audi's should treat us differently. I guess I should have asked how, you think they should treat us differently.

I'm just saying that audis and ENTs need to reconize the needs of early/born dhh are different from late deaf.....Heck, I think that they need to reconize that TEEN or postlingal dhh needs are different from your typical Association of Late Deafened Adults/ HLAA member's needs.

Back