Issues with BTE aids (hair scraping mic)

Desy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently got a pair of Bernafon Verite BTE aids (upgrades to my old in-canal Phonaks), and I am having some trouble adjusting them so that my hair isn't constantly scraping over the microphones.

It is a very distinctive and irritating sound...and distracting to the point where I can't wear the aids comfortably (I tried for a few days, but I just couldn't tune it out.)

Does anyone know of some way, either through software or some physical adjustment of the aid, that I can reduce the noise my hair makes when it glides over the mic?

P.S. - I'm 29 years old, and I'm really not interested in cropping my hair, or keeping it pulled back at all times...:aw:

I just pull mine back everyday (which I've been doing for a few years now).. I hate having hair in my face anyway. I haven't come up with any other solutions.

I keep mine quite short, though I have to admit I've never noticed any noise from my hair even when it's longer. Maybe the problem is the position of the microphones on your particular aids. That's just a suggestion, I don't know whether the microphone positions vary much on different aids, on all those I've had it's been about the same.

Sorry I can't help more.

i was 15/16 same issuse. hair cut so only the bit round the mics was short. it worked. i still keeped shoulder legth hair. i had a really good hairdresser

You may want to ask your audiologist if he or she can enable the compression feature on your aids. This should help reduce the scraping sound you hear. When I received my first pair of aids at age 15, I always kept my hair tied back in a ponytail or braid.

try getting in-the-ear if hair keeping you from benefit from hearing aids. better than than nothing.

But are you sure it is your hair? It could be malfunction

I had widex which had the mic covered from the hair..the senso p38 and I never had problem with my hair!

i tend to keep my hair pulled back , but when it is down I tend to notice a difference but if my hair is has been well conditioned it is not as bad, it took me a few months to get used to it, so try giving it time to teach your brain to tune it out.

Back