issues about helping with communication

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to talk about what happens when a hearing person is becoming proficient at signing, but is not a professional interpreter, and finds herself (or himself) in situations where she (etc) ends up helping her Deaf friends communicate with hearing people. Just as a natural part of socializing, friendship, life in general - not as any sort of contracted/paid work.

If you've found yourself in this situation, do you keep the code of ethics in mind?

As my signing continues to improve, I'm realizing I really need to think about this.

If a friend asks me to come along for a doctor's appointment* and I help with communication (I keep trying to avoid calling it interpreting, because I associate that word with the pros) that seems obvious: everything there is confidential. My friend knows I know, and we continue to be friends, so the topics from the appointment might come up between the two of us on occasion, but that's it.

On the other hand, if I'm out at a restaurant with a bunch of Deaf friends, and I wind up helping them order and have other very casual interactions with the waitress, that seems completely innocuous to me and I wouldn't hesitate to include stores from that encounter in whatever conversations I might have with other people.

Then there's an odd middle ground. A friend asks me to come to his church and sit in the pew next to a few Deaf people, and take a shot at signing the sermon, plus facilitate some chatting between a mixed table of Deaf and hearing during coffee hour after. My gut reaction was that this wasn't a big deal. It's a public event, anyone else could chat later about who was there and what was said.

But then I met an interpreter and we were talking about a church service she regularly interprets. She was encouraging me to come and mingle, and I stupidly asked her "who goes?" and she said "I can't say." So I apologized, letting her know that I'm not an interpreter and don't have all the code of ethics stuff in the front of my mind, but I'm aware of it, I understand, and of course she can't say anything.

So maybe I should be being stricter with myself than my gut tells me.

And I think that as I sort this stuff out, I'd like to try to get a better sense of the thinking behind the code of ethics.

I understand certain things. Like if you're interpreting an interaction between two people, it should be like you were never even there: no one but the two people should know what they said to each other. That makes sense to me. But something like terping at a church or other public event, my feeling is that anyone else (deaf or hearing, in the congregation or the choir or whatever) can see who's there and can be aware of what goes on. So any of them could be out in the world discussing it. It seems odd to me that the interpreter can't. Unless the idea is just that the interpreter needs to have a big blanket confidentiality rule, so there's never any possible grey areas, no threat of a slippery slope.

And then I think about what that means for me. Don't talk about the church stuff? Don't ever talk about anything? Not even the little restaurant things?

Maybe the difference is if it just happens or if you're asked to do it? (and if you're asked, then just adopt the entire code of ethics, even if you're just volunteering and are not certified). And of course anything sensitive should always be respected whether the "interpreting" happened spontaneously or was planned ahead. That part is clear to me.

So I'm interested in getting feedback from other hearing signers who might have found themselves in this position. Or from Deaf people who read this and can tell me what their preferences and expectations are. Or if any terps feel like weighing in, awesome.

Thanks everyone!

*I know: a real interpreter is supposed to be provided for free for that kind of thing. But they don't always show up, and sometimes for a last minute appointment, getting someone is a serious long-shot.

I want to add one thing, and that is that I don't have any ambitions about becoming a professional interpreter. My only goal is to get as good as I can at ASL. I want to have very good communication with my Deaf friends, and any other Deaf people I come into contact with. *I* don't want to need an interpreter:0

And there are times when I'm so extremely happy that I'm not an interpreter, that I am not bound by the code of ethics. Like a hearing person approaches a Deaf friend of mine with some offer that I can see to either be a scam, or at least have a side to it that's not obvious and not great. And I happen to know that my Deaf friend isn't aware of what's really being offered, along with all the consequences. (I am not in any way saying that every Deaf person would be unaware of what was happening. I'm just saying that as a friend, I happen to know that this one Deaf person, at that particular time, was unaware of this particular trap.) Anyway, as someone who is not an interpreter, I am (I think!) free to tell him what was said, and then add to it "but hey, you should know that when you sign up, they're going to use your personal information for blah blah blah" or whatever.

I think I would go crazy, not being able to do that. One of the reasons I don't have professional ambitions in this area!

As long as you don't name names, locations, times, etc, and make your stories general in nature, I don't see why it is an issue.

Word gets around very quickly in the deaf community, and can have disastrous results, so you will have to watch what you say.

Most interpreters I've encountered don't say much about deaf people, but they are quick to gossip about other interpreters......

I have 'interpreted' many times for a close friend of mine and there are two basic rules of thumb I have followed. One, I only interpret when she specifically asks me to or, literally, turns to me for assistance. She has been deaf all her life and navigated the hearing world long before we became friends so it is up to her if or when she wants clarification or help. Two, I deal with each situation the same way I would if I was there with a hearing friend. If it is in a professional setting (ie: a doctors appt, a legal issue, job interview or placing a phone call), I do not interject my own thoughts at the time (I will later only if she specifically asks), nor do I ever repeat what took place. If it is in a casual setting (ie: facilitating understanding of a conversation at a party or around a campfire), I feel free to speak openly about the event should I want to repeat and interesting story told or something that happened. We have also been in many casual deaf situations where she has had to 'interpret' for me and I certainly would not expect her to hold back on what she would normally say (or repeat to others) simply because she facilitated communication at some point.

A friend is a friend - hearing, deaf or otherwise. The principles of what you would or would not do or say should not change. However, I think if you are unsure of what she would find appropriate or inappropriate, you should talk to her about it to ensure you are both on the same page.

That worries me. What if I went to meeting(s) and wanted to discuss cars with turbocharged engine. Not many interpreters know anything about what those turbo engines can or can not do. Maybe both of us will get frustrated. Then interpreter may not want to interpret for me again. Then words will get out about me talking about turbocharged engines. No interpreters would want to interpret for me because they may have heard about disastrous results interpret back and forth.

Also, people may make fun of interpreters. Why was she hired to interpret for someone discussing turbocharged engines when she has no idea what an engine does? Maybe guys in class will try to flirt with interpreter and try to explain to her what a turbocharged engine does. She would get different guys arguing about what is worth turbocharging and what is not worth turbocharging. She would get fed up and warn every female interpreters about guys hitting on her. Then next time, I may end up with a male interpreter.

Maybe the male interpreter would try to argue with me about what is worth turbocharging and not worth doing so. Then I would be spending so much time arguing instead of getting my point across. Then no one will understand me.

I would go on and on.

...If a friend asks me to come along for a doctor's appointment* and I help with communication (I keep trying to avoid calling it interpreting, because I associate that word with the pros) that seems obvious: everything there is confidential. My friend knows I know, and we continue to be friends, so the topics from the appointment might come up between the two of us on occasion, but that's it.
If you are taking in the source language and producing the target language, then you are interpreting. Whether or not you are getting paid to do it is irrelevant.

For medical appointments, interpreters must be scheduled by the doctor's office or hospital. It is wrong on several levels for a deaf patient to use a friend to interpret in those settings.

1. Since a friend is not bound by professional ethics, there is no way to guarantee confidentiality. (Friends can break up--then what?)

2. Friends and family should never be used as interpreters in medical settings. The deaf patient may not feel totally free to be honest with the doctor when a friend or family member is present. Also, even unintentionally, a friend or family member may censor or soft-pedal the conversation.

3. It sets a bad precedence for medical professionals to be able to circumvent the ADA requirement for professional interpreters. The next deaf patient will get the excuse, "Our other deaf patient brings a friend to interpret; you can do that, too."

On the other hand, if I'm out at a restaurant with a bunch of Deaf friends, and I wind up helping them order and have other very casual interactions with the waitress, that seems completely innocuous to me and I wouldn't hesitate to include stores from that encounter in whatever conversations I might have with other people.
In that situation, you better check ahead of time with your deaf friends to be sure they are comfortable with that. They may not have the same understanding of the circumstance that you have. The possibility of gossip within the community can be a serious factor, and can make or break trust within your social group.

Then there's an odd middle ground. A friend asks me to come to his church and sit in the pew next to a few Deaf people, and take a shot at signing the sermon, plus facilitate some chatting between a mixed table of Deaf and hearing during coffee hour after. My gut reaction was that this wasn't a big deal. It's a public event, anyone else could chat later about who was there and what was said.
If you attended the service as just another church visitor, then that's a different matter. You are free to discuss that with others. However, once you start taking the position of the interpreter, that changes everything. Then you come under the ethics of the profession. You may call it "signing the sermon" and "facilitate some chatting" but it is still interpreting. The truth is, once a person starts interpreting in any capacity, it does change relationships, and one has to be conscious of that. If in doubt, ask the participants how they feel about the specific situation.

...And then I think about what that means for me. Don't talk about the church stuff? Don't ever talk about anything? Not even the little restaurant things?
Not without permission of all persons involved.

Maybe the difference is if it just happens or if you're asked to do it? (and if you're asked, then just adopt the entire code of ethics, even if you're just volunteering and are not certified). And of course anything sensitive should always be respected whether the "interpreting" happened spontaneously or was planned ahead. That part is clear to me.
The code of ethics doesn't pop on just because the terp gets a paycheck or gains a certification. It covers volunteers and uncertified interpreters also. (I should add, it covers student interpreters, too.)

*I know: a real interpreter is supposed to be provided for free for that kind of thing. But they don't always show up, and sometimes for a last minute appointment, getting someone is a serious long-shot.
That's still not your call. Unless your friend is bleeding from a train wreck, or in some other dire need where minutes count, the appointment will have to be rescheduled. Even then, you would provide the minimum amount of interpreting until the professional terp showed up.

I'm a professional interpreter, and qualified to interpret medical appointments. However, if I'm with a deaf friend to provide a ride or moral support, I don't do the interpreting. I don't stay in the examining room. The hired terp and I don't acknowledge each other or discuss the appointment.

...And there are times when I'm so extremely happy that I'm not an interpreter, that I am not bound by the code of ethics. Like a hearing person approaches a Deaf friend of mine with some offer that I can see to either be a scam, or at least have a side to it that's not obvious and not great. And I happen to know that my Deaf friend isn't aware of what's really being offered, along with all the consequences. (I am not in any way saying that every Deaf person would be unaware of what was happening. I'm just saying that as a friend, I happen to know that this one Deaf person, at that particular time, was unaware of this particular trap.) Anyway, as someone who is not an interpreter, I am (I think!) free to tell him what was said, and then add to it "but hey, you should know that when you sign up, they're going to use your personal information for blah blah blah" or whatever....
In that situation, don't do any interpreting. If your deaf friend wants to know what that hearing scammer is saying, offer to paraphrase or summarize but do not begin interpreting between the two. Offer your opinion to your deaf friend the same way that you would to a hearing friend. If the two of them want to communicate, let them work it out with notes or some other way.

Wow, Reba, thanks so much for taking the time to respond to all my questions! Much appreciated:ty:

I typically let other people interpret my order at restaurant(s) for me. I don't care if people thinks that I'm setting a bad example for deaf/Deaf people in general. I've went out on my own and have enough self esteem to order myself. It's just easier if others interpret for me. If I break up with the person, do they tell other people----"Derek loves eating plain hamburger. I know because I interpreted his order many times"? I know many people feel that they have to show others that they can do it themselves. They've every right. I'm not going to disagree.

Interpreting in restaurant is least of the problem. If I really wanted to show people that I can do things, I would tell them about selling bikes or volunteering at animal shelter. I'm not going to run all over---"Hey, look at me!!! I ordered my food without use of an interpreter!! Wow!!!". I'm sure people would care less if I ordered myself or had others interpret for me.

It's people who want to be my friend that I care about. Again, I don't care how society preceives deaf people. If they want to think that I'm retarded because I chose to have other people interpret my order for me, so be it.

Thank you for your feedback, Derek.

Wow, I never even imagined Deaf people thinking that anyone would think less of them for using an interpreter. I always thought the code of ethics was about privacy as far as what was said, or that a particular person was present somewhere, etc.

I can't imagine thinking of a Deaf person as (to use your word) retarded because they used an interpreter. If anything, I'd think, "why don't all these hearing people just learn to sign?" Whether I would think that those people just aren't smart enough, or if I would think that they're lazy or unaware etc - that depends on my mood that day:0

Last edited:
To be honest, I've come across situations where I end up being asked if i had a friend or family member to bring with me to an appointment. It just gave off a strong indication that someone had come in with a personal friend or family to interpret for them. So now they dont want to hire a professional interpreter and look for opportunities to get away with it again and again by asking us to bring along an interpreter to save them money.

It will just put the whole "so what do we have the ADA for when there's people out there abusing it?" If a hearing friend that signs wants to interpret, I'm sometimes ok with it. But I dont want to give the idea that its ok to avoid following ADA that gives us the right to request a professional interpreter. I'd rather have friend to hang out with to be themselves and have fun with than a person who feels partly obligated to interpret for me wherever we go.

Reba hit the main points. I get antsy thinking of a friend doing pro fessional setting interperting. You have to think of the liability !!
I have known people acting as interperters with no training at all. That is seriously bad.

Back