Is this true that if u dont wear your hearing aids you become more deaf?

LoveToSign21

Reaction score
Hey guys. i was wondering since some man told me last week that since i dont wear my hearing aids i will become more deaf. how is that possible is that possible because im confused. I really want to know. I told him i have a severe hearing loss 80 db now i was born hh etc. hes like so your deaf. Im like im not deaf hes like same thing. IM like no two different things.

danielle

More deaf from not wearing HA? I don't understand that. My son choose not to wear HA for 6 years now--deaf before, deaf after. No more deaf without HA.

In my opinion, That isnt true....That isnt mean if u dont hearing aid.. make u loss more hearing.. nah.... Im deaf.. cuz I hate wear the hearing aid ! !

But I can hear little bit my left ear.. better than my right ear....

Depends on people.....

M-:afro:

I think I know what he was trying to say and there is truth to his statement. He wasn't talking about losing more hearing either. That, of course, would be nonsense and it is.

What he meant was that hearing is like a muscle in which it must be used to get the maximum benefit from it. In other words, you need to continue to use a HA, CI, whatever device to keep what hearing one has left "sharp". As an extension to this thought, to hear and understand speech and by same token speech itself all require the constant exercise thereof to be good at it. So, if one doesn't use any kind of device to "hear" and exercise it, then one will become more "deaf". All senses must be used to be useful. One can't just turn it off for a while and expect it to be good as before when turning it back on.

A good analogy is somebody decides not to walk for a month and just use a wheelchair instead. At the end of the month, the person tries to get up and walk. Lo and behold, they find they are very weak and cannot walk very well. They will have to build up their strength and muscles before they can walk like they could before.

I hadnt wore HA on my right ear for many years. I lost alot of hearing when I tried to hear with HA. It was completely gone. On my left ear, I still hear good with my HA and heard LOUD noise without HA.

I think I know what he was trying to say and there is truth to his statement. He wasn't talking about losing more hearing either. That, of course, would be nonsense and it is.

What he meant was that hearing is like a muscle in which it must be used to get the maximum benefit from it. In other words, you need to continue to use a HA, CI, whatever device to keep what hearing one has left "sharp". As an extension to this thought, to hear and understand speech and by same token speech itself all require the constant exercise thereof to be good at it. So, if one doesn't use any kind of device to "hear" and exercise it, then one will become more "deaf". All senses must be used to be useful. One can't just turn it off for a while and expect it to be good as before when turning it back on.

A good analogy is somebody decides not to walk for a month and just use a wheelchair instead. At the end of the month, the person tries to get up and walk. Lo and behold, they find they are very weak and cannot walk very well. They will have to build up their strength and muscles before they can walk like they could before.

So true.

Eh?

I've never heard of this.

Why don't you ask your audiologist?

? I am already dead deaf, and if I don't wear HA, how can I be more deaf than dead deaf? This does not make no sense to me!!!!

:dunno:

None of this make sense to me at all. A friend of mine who stopped wearing HA back in 1984 after graduated from NTID. He is still the same and nothing changed. As for me I have been wearing my HA all my life and I have lost some of my hearing. So what the different here?? HUH??

Hey guys. i was wondering since some man told me last week that since i dont wear my hearing aids i will become more deaf. how is that possible is that possible because im confused. I really want to know. I told him i have a severe hearing loss 80 db now i was born hh etc. hes like so your deaf. Im like im not deaf hes like same thing. IM like no two different things.

danielle
No, that's a bunch of BS. Hearing loss is gradual, it doesn't matter whether or not you wear your hearing aids or not.

None of this make sense to me at all. A friend of mine who stopped wearing HA back in 1984 after graduated from NTID. He is still the same and nothing changed. As for me I have been wearing my HA all my life and I have lost some of my hearing. So what the different here?? HUH??
I think it is because the sound waves are destroying your eardrum. I mean take a person who listens to rock music blasting at full volume; and then take a person who listens to classical music ,like Beethoven, at a really low volume. The rock music dude is going to have a substantial hearing loss after awhile, while the classical music dude might even actually get more acute hearing over the years....but on my post above yes I think that hearing loss is gradual. Take Beethoven, his hearing loss gradually kept getting worse and worse, until he was totally deaf.

i gone to audolist test all my life, even though i wear hearing aid. my hearing don't change and its all same. I MUST require to wear hearing aid. So, it could happen to everyone else. It not occured to me. if u wanna to know.

i have wear ha all of my life in my right ear and it is starting to go down due to Meniere's Disease.

I dont know about deaf people wearing ha then lose hearing for no reason? likely not.. but maybe getting older?? maybe due to injury .. could be any reason..

just like older people lose their hearing.. my mom is 68 and shes losing some of her hearing.. she siad it is not the same as before.. As for others- could have lost the hearing due to hearing loud music at full volume like my sister have lost some of her hearing due to listening to loud music when she was young.. tsk tsk..

Or shooting the shotgun too often. :roflol:

just kidding. But when I had my HA I was hearing too much - getting way too much BG noise and I still could not follow the conversation. Ironically my hearing went way down for about a year, then it came back up and my Audiologist you dont need your HA, but if you feel you need, go ahead and use it. But truth is I dont like wearing a HA because I feel like my ear is plugged up.

down part is that Ive noticed my hearing getting worse lately. I am deaf in my left ear and hoh in my right. I have no idea if I have a disease or not, but no one has said and no one has tested me for it.

I just hope I dont have that rare disease that causes your sight and hearing to deteriorate over your lifetime to the point you have to have assisted living. (Id rather be fully independent). I dont have insurance so I cant get tested although I wish I could.

I think there is some debate on whether or not a HA takes away your residual hearing or not, and the other way around.

well i havent used hearing aid for 10 years and my hearing is still fine it didnt get worse but then my deafness is purely genetic

im been using hearing aids since i was little girls and our audiologists says i dont using that hearing aids anymore because im already deaf so my mother told me about hearing aids little more lots of money that not fair for that and also insurances at my old school but im gone audiologists for my ear test makes sure my ear okay but the audiologists says im not using hearing aids anymore! im wishes i would using hearing aids longtimes

I think that would make sense. I have not worn my HA over my right ear for almost 30 years. The audiogram that I got shortly before I stopped wearing it showed a speech comprehension of only 12%.

I've had problems with bad ringing in both ears and I stopped wearing my left ear HA for quite a while due to the ringing. Wearing my HA seems to make the ringing worse. Now I'm trying to get used to wearing my HA again. I'll be happy to hear again without that damned ringing in my ears.

If someone had told me I'd stop wearing my HA one day, I'd have told 'em no way!

Don't you find it amusing that surprisingly few people listened to you? I share the same experience, worry not! ;)

Last edited:
Back