Is this Rude or Unfair to the interpreters?

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Hi All,
as some of you may know, i've been having a problem with my school trying to find me interpreters to do "ASL signs in English word order with mouthing". They claim they can't find any. Should I just tell the school to find me ASL interpreters and tell the terps myself what I want??
Thanks,
*EQL*

I also have a problem understanding ASL if the person does not mouth the words at the same time. I explain it to the terp assigned to me, and so far, I've been lucky. Even with my deafie friends, they sign and "mouthe" at the same time. Otherwise, I get lost in the chain of communication.

I would ask if you can meet with the interpreters that they have and then discuss it with them in person.

What you are requesting is a VERY typical request - I'm baffled as to why they're having "problems"

I had asked my interpreter the same as I cannot understand the syntax of BSL very well as I grew up as mostly oral deaf and spoke in english. My interpreter was very accommodating.

Interpreters sometimes will ask what is your preference and then they'll try to accomodate your needs.

So, yes, I would ask for ASL interpreters and then meet the terps in person and outline your request.

I'm sure many terps will not have a problem meeting your request.

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem; it's not an unreasonable request.

Interpreters are supposed to match your needs. Most will ask how you want them to go about interpreting, or there's the kind like me who talks to the client beforehand and picks up on their language use. If my client mouths a lot and uses English, I will too.

Hi All,
as some of you may know, i've been having a problem with my school trying to find me interpreters to do "ASL signs in English word order with mouthing". They claim they can't find any. Should I just tell the school to find me ASL interpreters and tell the terps myself what I want??
Thanks,
*EQL*
Sounds like the plan to me. I would imagine any qualified terp should be able to sign in English order.

Absolutely meet with interpreters to discuss what you need. They are there for you and if your needs are not met, what is the point?

ASL Terps

Go for it! Typically the people hiring interpreters do not understand what an interpreter does. I Ask for an ASL interpreter, and if the Interpreter is skilled, he or she should be able to accommodate your request.

I also have a problem understanding ASL if the person does not mouth the words at the same time. I explain it to the terp assigned to me, and so far, I've been lucky. Even with my deafie friends, they sign and "mouthe" at the same time. Otherwise, I get lost in the chain of communication.

Kinda same here. Like for example, when my bf signs in ASL a word telling and asking looks similar to me while he doesn't use his mouthing (mute expression) it confuses me. Signing exact in English for words telling and asking are completely different. I prefer someone else to use mouthing while ASL so I won't misunderstood.

terps mouth

I don't know about other deaf but I sometimes wish the terp would keep their mouth shut !!!!! This is a big problem for me when the terp is hot and I can't pay attention when I am looking at theose thick ,wet lips and that tongue . Oops there I go again

Hi All,
Thanks,
*EQL*

Definately. Any reputable terp will ask the client how they want the service performed. And, since most are hearing, it should not be a problem for them to code switch.

Hi All,
Thanks,
*EQL*

You mean Signed Exact English. You could if you want it, but with ASL, it is better with mimes or pictures what the teacher or professor said in relating to your class study. If you insist on having an SEE, then go for it then. I don't really understand why school could not find interpreter who can do SEE instead of ASL. :dunno:

You mean Signed Exact English. You could if you want it, but with ASL, it is better with mimes or pictures what the teacher or professor said in relating to your class study. If you insist on having an SEE, then go for it then. I don't really understand why school could not find interpreter who can do SEE instead of ASL. :dunno:

She's not meaning SEE ... she's meaning more like PSE - so ASL and some grammar but not "strong ASL" if that makes sense

anything is possible

I definitely think you can ask the interpreter. Being an interpreter student myself we are taught to be flexible and work with the deaf person. If the person uses a specific sign for a word that we as the interpreter was not taught it is the interpreters responsibility to change to the sign that the deaf person uses. It's not a difficult task so I encourage to you to speak up! Hope this helps and makes sense :)

Michelle

One time I got an interpreter. But she was using BRITISH SIGN LANGUAGE!

I should have known...after all, I was in London. But it was a good lesson for me...request for an ASL one! :)

Most of the time I prefer ASL, especially if they are interpreting for a long presentation. If the workshop is very serious, sometimes I'd prefer more of an ESL interpreter so I can take notes or catch new vocabulary. It depends on what I'm doing.

Request for what you need.

I think the problem is you don't know exactly what it's called. Ask for an interpreter who can sign PSE, which means ASL in English order. Call a few interpreting agencies yourself and see what's out there.

A completely reasonable request

From what you describe, you are not at all asking for Signed Exact English (SEE), which is a formal structure that is different from PSE or ASL. You seem to need a transliterator, which per the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf in the US is an interpreter who has "demonstrated the ability to transliterate between English-based sign language and spoken English in both sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign." Seems like from what you describe you are simply asking for English-based sign, which includes appropriate mouth approximations (for example, if I were to transliterate the word "initiate", I would use the sign for "start" but the oral mouthing of "initiate".

Transliterating is a common request, and it is required for ASL certification at both the national (NIC) level and and some state level testing (such a the BEI in TX, Mich, and Ill). Is your program able to provide you with a certified interpreter? They would at least have some understanding of your needs. Good luck!

Back