Is This Good or Bad? Healthcare Reform

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGirl101

Reaction score
We've hashed this issue out. You know what I am talking about. The new bill, the Health Reform Bill or Obamacare.

This is a new issue....

See below (Note that this is Iowa's Reform, I don't know what it is for the other states.):

•Reduces preventable readmissions. The current health care system does not place enough emphasis on improving quality of care. For example, nearly 20 percent of Medicare patients who are discharged from the hospital end up being readmitted within 30 days.22 For Iowa, that’s 29,100 readmissions each year which could potentially be prevented with improved care coordination.23 Health insurance reform will invest in innovations in primary care and will provide financial incentives to hospitals to better coordinate care at discharge to avoid preventable readmissions.

Lessens Paperwork. Physicians spend on average about 140 hours and $68,000 a year just dealing with health insurance bureaucracy.24 For the 7,704 physicians in Iowa, this adds up to 1.1 million hours and $523 million in costs.25 By simplifying and standardizing paperwork and computerizing medical records, doctors will be able to focus on caring for their patients instead of dealing with bureaucracy.

You know, the government could have made jobs by providing people to do that for Doctors. Do you like the idea of having your medical records on a system that is vunerable to attack by hackers, virus', worms and trojans? Do you also like the idea of having the government know what your medical health is? This gives them the incentive to decide what you pay and what they pay. It could go either way, where you pay a small amount and they pay a large amount, or vice versa.

•Incentivizes primary care. Roughly 3,300 doctors in Iowa practice primary care and would qualify for a new 5 to 10 percent payment bonus under health insurance reform.26

Yes, and this seems to be partly to the fact that they (the doctors) know they will be taking on more medicaid carrier patients. Reimbursement rates for medicaid is at what percent now ? What was it before 2, 3, 4 years ago?

•Invests in the health primary care. Approximately 247,000 people, or 8 percent of Iowa’s population, cannot access a primary care provider due to shortages in their communities.27 Health insurance reform will expand and improve programs to increase the number of health care providers, including doctors, nurses, and dentists, especially in rural and other underserved areas.

A lot of people I know can't get health care due to one simple thing. Iowa is not like New York, we are spread out, with 20, 40, 60 miles between cities and towns. So the gas alone, on a limited income, is one of the reasons why they cannot get to the care. The major hospitals surrounding where I live is roughly 2 to 5 hours drive. We do have a hospital and we do have a clinic where I live, but the most serious medical cases get flown to the mother hospital in Sioux Falls, SD, two hours away. I don't understand how they cannot see that it is not only the medical aspect to pay for, it's also for the fuel that the Amulances use, and the fuel for the helicopter, among other things. You got a medical bill, along with the bill for ambulance care and helicopter rides and who knows what else. Those are not covered under medicaid as far as I know.

Two, How are they going to get more doctors, and nurses? Noone gets assigned the job of life. People choose to go into the field. There is a shortage of doctors and nurses, how is it possible to spread out?

You know, the government could have made jobs by providing people to do that for Doctors. Do you like the idea of having your medical records on a system that is vunerable to attack by hackers, virus', worms and trojans?
what's the difference with corporations having your personal record like credit card history? Bristol-Myers Squibb (a major pharmaceutical giant) notified me thru letter that they "lost" a hdd containing thousands of employees' sensitive information including mine. They paid for 3-years of credit monitoring service.

Do you also like the idea of having the government know what your medical health is? This gives them the incentive to decide what you pay and what they pay. It could go either way, where you pay a small amount and they pay a large amount, or vice versa.
what's the difference with current Medicaid/Medicare/VA? These are government medical insurances.

Two, How are they going to get more doctors, and nurses? Noone gets assigned the job of life. People choose to go into the field. There is a shortage of doctors and nurses, how is it possible to spread out?
Question: What will happen when there are not enough doctors to oblige all the patients?

Answer: Last year, the American Academy of Family Physicians predicted a shortfall of 40,000 primary care doctors, and that was before the signing of the health care bill. That will put another 32 million people into the system -- with a promise of free preventive care -- and insurance to pay for regular doctor visits. Some physicians have expressed concern about this. Patients could see increased wait times, as in Massachusetts, where since "RomneyCare" went into effect, residents wait an 10 extra days to see the doctor. But others say the bill will help create more community health centers, so primary care can happen at these centers instead of expensive emergency rooms

Answers to your questions on health care law - CNN.com

Exactly, Jiro. All this talk about records being computerized is nothing more than another scare tactic.:roll:

Exactly, Jiro. All this talk about records being computerized is nothing more than another scare tactic.:roll:

Do I sound scared Jillio?

There are two sides to this and a third, mine, which is nuetral.

Why do I feel three inches tall right now?

Do I sound scared Jillio?

There are two sides to this and a third, mine, which is nuetral.

Why do I feel three inches tall right now?

Don't sweat it. It is good to question the Government. Especially when they are expanding into new areas. Government having access to medical records should be reason for concern regardless of whether you are for or against reform. And it's not just a matter of hackers. Can we really trust our government not to use those records for things other than their intended purpose? Others can believe that if thay want. I am not that naive.

Don't sweat it. It is good to question the Government. Especially when they are expanding into new areas. Government having access to medical records should be reason for concern regardless of whether you are for or against reform. And it's not just a matter of hackers. Can we really trust our government not to use those records for things other than their intended purpose? Others can believe that if thay want. I am not that naive.

Seconded.

Not gonna happen! They would have done that long time ago with Medicare and Medicaid. Worry when they remove HIPPA provisions.

Not gonna happen! They would have done that long time ago with Medicare and Medicaid. Worry when they remove HIPPA provisions.

And you are sure they never used those records for reasons other than their intended use? Never?

Ya know maybe the FBI or IRS was looking for someone.....needed an address and decided to take a peek. Maybe they DEA was checking on a shrink and decided to cross reference a few files to see what they might have prescribed. Maybe the ATF suspects someone is the next David Koresh and decides to take a peek. It's against the law of course but who would know. Detective frequently pressure Dr's and Clergy to break privilege. Fortunately most do not comply. Who will stop them with the info at their finger tips?

And you are sure they never used those records for reasons other than their intended use? Never?

Ya know maybe the FBI or IRS was looking for someone.....needed an address and decided to take a peek. Maybe they DEA was checking on a shrink and decided to cross reference a few files to see what they might have prescribed. Maybe the ATF suspects someone is the next David Koresh and decides to take a peek. It's against the law of course but who would know. Detective frequently pressure Dr's and Clergy to break privilege. Fortunately most do not comply. Who will stop them with the info at their finger tips?

no difference with corporations sharing info with police/government. Patriot Acts, you know.

X-Files

Answer: Last year, the American Academy of Family Physicians predicted a shortfall of 40,000 primary care doctors, and that was before the signing of the health care bill. That will put another 32 million people into the system -- with a promise of free preventive care -- and insurance to pay for regular doctor visits. Some physicians have expressed concern about this. Patients could see increased wait times, as in Massachusetts, where since "RomneyCare" went into effect, residents wait an 10 extra days to see the doctor. But others say the bill will help create more community health centers, so primary care can happen at these centers instead of expensive emergency rooms

No solution to the rising cost of malpractice insurance and the rise of malpractice lawsuits. Many doctors quit and went into private practice, such as sports medicine. My doctor who was HoH quit because the cost of the malpractice insurance was cutting into his profits and he could not hold on to his business, his staff, his bills and so on. So he dropped out because of it.

Many potential doctors after researching the pros and cons of being a doctor, found it unfeasible to become a doctor because of the high costs of becoming one and how much it will cost to maintain his office.

Yiz

Did you know that govt computer systems are hacked thousands of times a day. Can't remember the article but it's quite alot. Throw medical records in the mix and I'm sure it'll peak a few more interested bodies into trying.

Did you know that govt computer systems are hacked thousands of times a day. Can't remember the article but it's quite alot. Throw medical records in the mix and I'm sure it'll peak a few more interested bodies into trying.

same for corporations.

no difference with corporations sharing info with police/government. Patriot Acts, you know.

Except that medical info is privileged. At least now you have recourse. It is not nearly the same. Choose to trust the government at your peril.

"You know, the government could have made jobs by providing people to do that for Doctors. Do you like the idea of having your medical records on a system that is vunerable to attack by hackers, virus', worms and trojans? Do you also like the idea of having the government know what your medical health is? This gives them the incentive to decide what you pay and what they pay. It could go either way, where you pay a small amount and they pay a large amount, or vice versa. "

That's what private sectors do all the time. Why are you implying that only government does that?

Even Google can store your health records.

I wonder how many unstable people will be less than candid with their shrinks now. People who don't want to take under performing kids....
Oh but wait.....schools are government too. :hmm: Fun times ahead for spectators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back