Is this good ASL?

Daft

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed before, if it has then a mod could simply delete this posting.

Here's a link to a song on youtube which is being interpreted into ASL:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKnQjBf8wM]YouTube - Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA - ASL Song[/ame]

I hope I got that right! :hmm:

There is an option for Close Captioning which I would suggest you use.

Personally, I thought it was a cute video - especially for hearies who want to learn sign. Was wondering what everyone's impressions were. Did you think it was a good interpretation? Was his ASL correct? His signs correct? Facial expressions? Personally, I thought he had very good facials expression, but he moved around a bit too much. Some of his ASL was good, some of it I thought was a bit too PSE. I could tell he wasn't a CODA - but a good signer.

Not sure what exactly to say. I'd say some hit and miss.

Some areas he hit it off well, some areas he didn't.

His mouth morphemes throws me off most of the times, his hands aren't that "fluid", choice of the sign for the word "party" could have been better (it was used quite a few times).
Grammar structure - about half of the times he nails it. OSV as opposed to SVO.

My personal opinion: This guy is a brother of some deaf person. He has a lot of tendencies that are found in sibling of a deaf person. Almost reminds me of my brother and father.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, if it has then a mod could simply delete this posting.

Here's a link to a song on youtube which is being interpreted into ASL:

YouTube - Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA - ASL Song

I hope I got that right! :hmm:

There is an option for Close Captioning which I would suggest you use.

Personally, I thought it was a cute video - especially for hearies who want to learn sign. Was wondering what everyone's impressions were. Did you think it was a good interpretation? Was his ASL correct? His signs correct? Facial expressions? Personally, I thought he had very good facials expression, but he moved around a bit too much. Some of his ASL was good, some of it I thought was a bit too PSE. I could tell he wasn't a CODA - but a good signer.

Not quite sure how you think you could tell all that. I am born deaf and use PSE. I know more people here who do the same.

Plus I use some outmoded signs learned from my deaf grandparents generation.

And no I did not watch the video, as many know signers of pop songs bore me.

My personal opinion: This guy is a brother of some deaf person. He has a lot of tendencies that are found in sibling of a deaf person. Almost reminds me of my brother and father.

No. He has no deaf in his family. I read somewhere where he said something about he saw a hearie using ASL at a debate club (or something like that). So he learned ASL so they could chat without anyone else knowing what they were talking about. And he has enjoyed ASL ever since.

Grammar structure - about half of the times he nails it. OSV as opposed to SVO.

I guess the book I have is wrong or I am misunderstanding. I'll learn when I start me class next week.

I thought the proper grammar stucture was OSV.

No. He has no deaf in his family. I read somewhere where he said something about he saw a hearie using ASL at a debate club (or something like that). So he learned ASL so they could chat without anyone else knowing what they were talking about. And he has enjoyed ASL ever since.

Cool.

I guess the book I have is wrong or I am misunderstanding. I'll learn when I start me class next week.

from what ive learned.. it can vary. but usually OSV.. i may be wrong haven't been in school for almost 3 months :P

Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Yeah, some hearing people use a sign language for some reasons. They could feel so comfortable without worrying people overhears their conservation. :)

The proper structure is mostly OSV, which is true. I guess I wasn't too clear in my post.

Half of the time he nails the OSV.

English = SVO.

From a hearie's POV and opinion, it looks like he's getting it right. Plus he is trying to stay in the rhythm of the words so the hearies watchin it won't be trown off.
I have watched some videos on Youtube where I am sitting there going "That isn't the sign for______! What the hell is that sign? I have never seen that used for _______." And I usually will turn the vid off cause I am disgusted that the person is saying it ASL when, to me, it's clearly not what I learned as ASL.

From a hearie's POV and opinion, it looks like he's getting it right. Plus he is trying to stay in the rhythm of the words so the hearies watchin it won't be trown off.

I know where you are coming from, Julie. But then question will come up - who is he interpretating for - the Hearing or the Deaf?

Honestly, I had to turn on the captions because some of the signs he used I had never seen before (and also needed to know what the words actually were).

Something which struck me as odd was his interpretation of the phrase "and the butterflies flew away". In "hearing mode", that would make sense, but in "deaf mode" I don't think it made any sense. I'm sure some deafies would be asking, "What's with the butterflies?" :lol: I would have signed something like "nervousness melt away". But then again, in ASL there are several ways to sign something.

BTW, I applaud the young gentlemen at his enthusiasm.

I know where you are coming from, Julie. But then question will come up - who is he interpretating for - the Hearing or the Deaf?

Honestly, I had to turn on the captions because some of the signs he used I had never seen before (and also needed to know what the words actually were).

Something which struck me as odd was his interpretation of the phrase "and the butterflies flew away". In "hearing mode", that would make sense, but in "deaf mode" I don't think it made any sense. I'm sure some deafies would be asking, "What's with the butterflies?" :lol: I would have signed something like "nervousness melt away". But then again, in ASL there are several ways to sign something.

True dat.

I would like to add -

It's very very hard to find a good ASL song video... Mainly because when the concepts are incorrectly expressed the true meaning of the song is thrown out of the window.

I thought it was alright, but I'm not a strong signer. Choice for party was definitely odd. Glosses were typically well chosen, but often went in the SVO order. Facial expressions were a mix of legit ASL grammar and some generic, overblown expressions.

The song itself is terrible though. Absolutely ridiculous, unimaginative lyrics that don't really convey any real meaning or narrative. I guess people don't care as long as it has a pretty melody. :shrug:

I did like how he provided lyrics and the glosses at the bottom of the screen.

I would assume it would be correct as far as butterfly. I mean who doesn't feel like there is a butterfly in your stomach when you are nervous?

I would assume it would be correct as far as butterfly. I mean who doesn't feel like there is a butterfly in your stomach when you are nervous?

Idiomatic expressions tend to translate poorly though. What makes sense in one language might be totally awkward and random in another.

Is OSV another way of saying topic-comment grammar?

Idiomatic expressions tend to translate poorly though. What makes sense in one language might be totally awkward and random in another.

Is OSV another way of saying topic-comment grammar?

Object-Subject-Verb

I would like to add -

It's very very hard to find a good ASL song video... Mainly because when the concepts are incorrectly expressed the true meaning of the song is thrown out of the window.

I agree which is why I rarely watch songs being signed on uTube. Usually what you said happens for me.

Like you said before..there are some hits and misses there. He needs more practice especially showing the emotions of the song. It looks too scripted.

Back