Is this discrimination ??

Mc Gusto

Reaction score
Hi -my employment was terminated last friday and the reason my boss gave was that i could not follow his instructions because i could not hear him well enough in the noisy environment that i worked in and that he would repeat instructions when i did not hear him the first time and i would say that i understood him when i did not -this part is true becuse he had a very low tolerance for repeating himself ( once he even kicked a bench to get my attention ) and i did not want to ask him to repeat himself 10 times for fear of losing my job .I had worked there 2.5 months .And one other thing that made it hard to follow him was that he had a fairly thick italian accent ,my co workers even said he was hard to understand ,my workers usually got instruction through to me because they were much more tolerant and resorted to writing down what they wanted to say if needed
Then the very next day my boss phoned my house and spoke to my mother and he staed that he had to terminate the employment because there was an incident the day before when i put myself in danger by not being aware of machinery running because i could not hear it -one of my fellow workers supposedly told him this ( this is b.s -it never happened) .And that i can come back to work for one or two weeks until i can find another job
Well i'm not going back yet if at all but i hope i can take some sort of action against this guy who stupidly fired me for my disability and is now trying to cover his ass ,yeah i just wondered what you guys think of this ??

Looks like you already know the wrongness of your ex boss's action. Hope you talk with the right people who have the power to clamp his balls in a vise. :)

That is definately discrimination... I believe his action violates ADA, can someone confirm this?

I'm afraid yes, it's a discrimination what your ex-boss did... :(

yes. it is discrimination. u need to find someone who can fix for you. i dont know what law is that protects those deaf people in austrailia. we have ADA(Americans with Disabilities Acts) in usa.

deafclimber said:
yes. it is discrimination. u need to find someone who can fix for you. i dont know what law is that protects those deaf people in austrailia. we have ADA(Americans with Disabilities Acts) in usa.

DeafClimber,

Yes I do agree w/you 100% but Mc Gusto is coming from Aussie..

Mc Gusto,

I have no idea about Aussie's Law "Disbitily". Hopefully you can researching the Aussie's law and to find any kind weak ones.. You can file againist your ex boss which it's totally discrimation agianist your disbitily.
Wishes you have great luck..

Thanks for the replies ,yeah in Australia we have some Equal opputunity Organization and i have emailed them ,just waiting for a reply from them,or maybe i will claim Unfair dismissal with the Industrial Relations Commission. ( while i still can ,the government here is presently scraping laws that enable you to claim unfair dismissal for buisnesses with under 100 employees ) i don't know whats going to happen but i'll let you guys know the end result anyway :cheers:

thanks mate ,yeah i'll keep u posted ,these things take time but hopefully it wont take too long

deafclimber said:

That's Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) in Australia.

Back