is this discrimiation?

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
i'm wondering if this is discrimation... since i went to apply for a job.. they called wanted me to take a basic skill test.. so we set a date.. i went and do the test.. 3 test.. english, math and assement.

then i got their letter

Dear ****,
Thank you for your interest in ****** corp.
Although you have many good skills and abilities, we will be continuing our search. good luck in your job exploration!
Sincerely,
human resource assistant

Isn't discrimination..

This company is very careful and will not written big word "discrimination". They are smart and nicely written letter to you...

i'm wondering if this is discrimation... since i went to apply for a job.. they called wanted me to take a basic skill test.. so we set a date.. i went and do the test.. 3 test.. english, math and assement.

then i got their letter

Dear ****,
Although you have many good skills and abilities, we will be continuing our search. good luck in your job exploration!
Sincerely,
human resource assistant

doesn't sound like it to me
... maybe you didn't do well on the tests??? ... if i were you, i would call and find out why you got the letter, how you did on those skill tests and lastly, ask exactly what they are looking for in a potential employee!??? GOOD LUCK!

It's possible that you're not qualify for the position, some companies give out pre-exam to see how much knowledge they have for the position. Even through, the company did say you did well, but maybe not enough or to meet their requirement? ;)

As far as the letter said - I don't think it is based on discrimination unless you're not explaining this clearly? You might have done well on the test and all that but it seems that the company you were aspiring to work for wanted a better quality out of a person, who knows?

Just out of curiousity, Why do you think it is discriminating? Is there a reason why you feel that you're discriminated?

Anyhow, I wish you the best to continue your job hunt. :)

It's not discrimination. It has nothing to do with your deafness or your physical handicap. You just didn't meet their qualifications.

I've taken tests like that before. I even took speed tests since some jobs require specific typing speeds.

One job I applied for required a typing speed of at least 10,000 KSPH (key strokes per hour). I scored 12,000 KSPH. They also required someone with knowledge of MS Excel. Again, I did well on that. So, I got the job. :)

then i got their letter

Dear ****,
Sincerely,
human resource assistant

I don't see any discrimination in this letter but you should do few things:

If you have the passion for getting this job then my suggestion is you go back and asked if you are qualified for the position. Address in a very professional manner and ask for the reasons they are continueing their search. Ask if you meet or exceed the qualification in job description. Ask if there is anyway that you can get the job. Tell them you have a very high motivation of working there (If you do) and you are willing to adapt and give reasonable accommadation for your deafness. Worse case scenerio is that they will not answer. Then that is fine, just walk out. And plus dont make a scenery, lol.

What position are you trying to apply for?

Good luck.

I see that they wrote in formal manner way, not discrimination.

Nothing wrong with this letter, at least they reply you back, most firms won't bother to let you know that your unsuccessful to win a job.

Nope, if it would then it will say like "You did a wonderful test, but we are concern about your hearing loss. We don't think we are able to help you, thank you." THAT is discrimination, but I don't see any discrimination on this one neither.

*Waiting for Deafscuba to reply before I continue*

Deafscuba, do they know your'e deaf?
yes they do.. and they expect me to bring my own interpreter.. so i just go without interpreter. its a small town so they don't know anything about deafness. that's just a typical thing in small community.

but i did so well without interpreter.. i took a test with 2 other older guys its just a questionaire and multichoice test in english definations and grammer. and the math.
one of my co-worker thinks its because of ethics.
campanies are aware they cannot say no because of deaf, black , white, etc.. they can just say " we don't need you" might in their mind is because i'm deaf? they can just change the words, by make it legally.

yes they do.. and they expect me to bring my own interpreter.. so i just go without interpreter. its a small town so they don't know anything about deafness. that's just a typical thing in small community.

but i did so well without interpreter.. i took a test with 2 other older guys its just a questionaire and multichoice test in english definations and grammer. and the math.
one of my co-worker thinks its because of ethics.
campanies are aware they cannot say no because of deaf, black , white, etc.. they can just say " we don't need you" might in their mind is because i'm deaf? they can just change the words, by make it legally.

Ok, Deafscuba98, thanks. This will be brief but here's my theory as a possibility of what's happening in your case. The ADA law is a double-edged sword. If these people know they would have to provide you with services they would have to pay for to accommodate you now and during your employment, it would be easier to come up with an excuse now for not hiring you rather than finding out later after they have hired you.....just my thought on this because I've seen it happen too many times.

My deaf friend had the same situation as yours. Don't worry. You will find a better job somewhere.

Last year, he sent his resume and received for the date. He went there for a job interview without an interpreter. He was surprised to see many people applying for a job in the room. He doesn't understand that because he thought that he was the only one to come for the interview. He had to follow them in a room for the exam. Actually, he did not pass the test. I think he mentioned that one of the test involved hearing questions. He received the rejected letter so he is still looking for another job. He said to me that he was piss off that he sat there for three hours to get ready for the exam, and the exam lasted two hours. I am pretty sure that it has nothing do with the discrimination in your letter. I had one, too and I thought that something is not right about it.

My mother said that the companies are doing the same thing because there are so many people are applying for a job so the secretaries have to type up a brief letter.

Ok, Deafscuba98, thanks. This will be brief but here's my theory as a possibility of what's happening in your case. The ADA law is a double-edged sword. If these people know they would have to provide you with services they would have to pay for to accommodate you now and during your employment, it would be easier to come up with an excuse now for not hiring you rather than finding out later after they have hired you.....just my thought on this because I've seen it happen too many times.
yeah, there is so many theroys and a possiablity of trying to make excuse making it look legally.

by this.. there's no prove.. because they didn't offically say "its because you are in the minority"

as you know its tough but i was dreaming for it though.

Back