Is there a product that dictates real time conversations?

Geo31522

Reaction score
I know this may sound silly but why haven’t I heard of a product that can interpret or dictate text while having conversations in real time? Sort of like Closed Captioning for Real Life.

I am sure most of you have heard of a product called DRAGON by NUANCE. Basically what it is is a software product for your computer which allows you to SPEAK your text as opposed to typing it.

Well, why don’t they have a hand held device that someone who is hearing impaired and does not qualify for a Hearing Aid or CI can use when they are having a conversation with someone? In other words, I am bilaterally deaf and probably won’t benefit from a Cochlear Implant or Hearing Aid. So in order for me to have a conversation I have to ask people to write down what they’re trying to tell me, (I haven’t developed the skill for reading lips yet..lol) which becomes a nuisance for everyone. If I had a device like that, small enough for me to take with me, then I would be able to READ what people are trying to tell me and respond accordingly.

It could also be used as a real time language translator, for the weary traveler….lol

Just a thought. Could someone please elaborate this for me?

Thanx

I've tried it on my iPhone as well..dragon dictation I mean and it's not too bad..I would wait to see if you qualify for CI in the mean time I would use one of IDE white dry erase boards..may be easier then a pen n paper for now and I'd start to learn ASL. I am also severe profound deaf and didn't start losing my hearing til 6 years ago and I've gone through 4 sets of hearing aids now..it's frustrating but assistive technologies make life a bit easier. Think of getting a TTY with voice carry over and smoke alarms and door/telephone signalers for the deaf. I also have a deaf alarm clock by sonic alarm which is amazing it vibrates my bed:)

There is also a Google app (Google Translate) that converts voice to text. Somebody here on AD has posted details about it.
http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/94402-google-translate-mobile.html

And there's an Android app called Closed cApp Closed cAPPtioned - Closed captions for your everyday conversations! which uses Google's voice-to-text software. I've got this app on my phone and it only works for short phrases so you cannot use it to track a conversation - more like ask for something and then get a reply. And it isn't very good on regional accents.

You need to get yourself an android, dude! :)
AJ covered it pretty well. It's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty good to give you an idea. As long as you don't use long winded conversations. If you really had to, you could probably try it with google voice - although it's not completely accurate either.

nexus-one-app-22-speak-now.jpg

Thanks So Much every body for all of your information!!...I assumed that there was something out there but I figured I would ask. And you all gave me such great advice.

Thanks Again and Best Wishes,
John

I've tried it on my iPhone as well..dragon dictation I mean and it's not too bad..I would wait to see if you qualify for CI in the mean time I would use one of IDE white dry erase boards..may be easier then a pen n paper for now and I'd start to learn ASL. I am also severe profound deaf and didn't start losing my hearing til 6 years ago and I've gone through 4 sets of hearing aids now..it's frustrating but assistive technologies make life a bit easier. Think of getting a TTY with voice carry over and smoke alarms and door/telephone signalers for the deaf. I also have a deaf alarm clock by sonic alarm which is amazing it vibrates my bed:)

Thanks for all your advice, I will definitely look into those products you mentioned…I think it’s even harder for someone who grew up hearing well to suddenly have to conform to such a profound change in life... Especially because I live on my own…And it’s even more difficult when your friends and family have a hard time acclimating as well. For instance, my children are trying their best to communicate with me but I know it’s frustrating for them. Thank God we live in a time where technological advancements have made it easier for people with disabilities to function. Even so, I am starting to learn ASL and to do what’s necessary to adjust. I've only been bilaterally deaf for 3 months now. So little by little I’m beginning to adjust as best as I can.

Thanks Again

Back