Is Texting Ruining Our Children's Writing?

I hate to take the unpopular view.

But I think it has to help. Since I have had the ability to send text and communicate easily, my writing has improved tremendously.

I can see examples of letters my stepmother saved written when I was an adult and it was primitive compared to what I do now that I get more experience and see more examples of written communication.

I feel certain the same has to hold true for children who communicate in this way.

I remember reading an article in a magazine a few years ago. It was about a group of teachers complaining about their students writing their papers as if they were doing emails and AIM. They would use short terms like BRB, LOL, etc.

Here are a few example writings...

"My cousin fell in the water and I LOLed."

"I was helping my mom with the food then I remembered that I had to leave. So I told her that I would BRB."

If my kids were emailing me, I would expect them to email me with proper spelling and punctuation so that they can improve themselves. :)

Ah, whenever there comes new technology, it always ends up both good and bad... all depends on what or how we the people use it for.

I doubt it. Think about it, since the introduction of the pc to an earlier generation, people still write despite using a keyboard. I think lack of writing skills are more of a delinquent matter rather than blaming texting itself.

I tend to agree with you on that. As long as a kid doesn't write everything using the same jargon they use on a text message, then they know how to use appropriate skills in appropriate situations. Now if you have a kid writing a paper, and they are using LOL and WTF in the paper with a bunch of little smilie emoticons, you've got a problem.

This year I will post a rule in my classroom: "If you use "LOL" on a paper submitted to me, I will flunk you."

How's that? ;) LOL!

Yes and No. TXT is just a new modern language in computer age. It's no different from slang. We don't talk or write like Shakespeare. As long as the person knows how to write and convey his message to general public in a constructive, proper grammar.... fine by me. It really puzzles me how can it be so difficult for Americans to know the differences between their and they're and there.

Well, it´s important for the students to understand the difference between informal and formal languages and know how to behave manner way when they communicate with people including school, college, etc...

My both sons know 3 different languages... abbreviation word in mobile phone, teenager´s languages and formal languages including English.

Example:

My son & I messaged each other with abbrevation words in mobile phone. We use it as quick and short which is normal.

My both sons and their friends use IQC chat - they used abbreviation words (I would call it as "teenager´s languages" - I hardly understand their language :giggle:) which is total different as they use abbreviation words to text me.

My both sons´s homework - they did not abbreviate the words like what they did to me in moblie phone and his teenager chat. *shrug*

It´s important to teach the children to know the difference in manner way.

This year I will post a rule in my classroom: "If you use "LOL" on a paper submitted to me, I will flunk you."

How's that? ;) LOL!

Seriously, sounds good to me along with the other abbreviations added!

Oh yes I forget to add my post here...

My boys noticed that ADers use "lol" quite a lot in their posts. It got them wondering with :confused: and ask me if I know what "lol" is ? I explained them that we use "lol" as an abbreviation word for "laugh out loud". They were like :eek3: and told me that they also use those same word in their teenager´language, too LOL = you crap or stupid... :eek3:

I gave them the list of American abbreviation word... they were like wow... I told them that we are not teenagers but just abbreviation word... :lol:

I tend to agree with you on that. As long as a kid doesn't write everything using the same jargon they use on a text message, then they know how to use appropriate skills in appropriate situations. Now if you have a kid writing a paper, and they are using LOL and WTF in the paper with a bunch of little smilie emoticons, you've got a problem.

Oh god! If I start seeing that on my students' papers, something has to give.

This is an interesting thread.

IMO, I don't think texting is really ruining our children's writing in overall. I think, in texting, it even brings more out of the children when they are wanting to be expressive or if they were to have an informal (faceless) conversations. It is said that it is easier to become expressive via texting rather than having it face to face and a lot less stressful as well.

However.... If it was me, I would make sure they know the fine line of separating the informal and formal writing system. If they are to write an essay, letters, e-mails, short stories, poems, so and on - It would be best to maintain the formal writing syntax because otherwise if the texting abbreviations are into it, it will take out the purpose of how meaningful it can be. It'd be quite funny seeing a 500 worded essay that is full of texting abbreviations. Heck, I can't fathom to think of how a poem would be like if it had full of text abbreviations too, lol.

Mixing up these informal/formal writing communication is never a good thing to begin but if the kids are taught to keep it separate, they will have better chances of being able to write better by using both texting abbreviations and the formal writing communication. It might even help them be able to boost their confidence and self esteem as well.

For me, not true...

same here look at calculator. Teacher fear some students will loose math skills turn out to be nothing happen. get idea write do math figure with pencil and scratch paper with out use calculator.

same here look at calculator. Teacher fear some students will loose math skills turn out to be nothing happen. get idea write do math figure with pencil and scratch paper with out use calculator.

That one has always puzzled me. You have to input numbers and functions in the calucator just like when you write them on paper, so if you don't understand the basic prionciples of the math, you won't be able to do it correctly using a calulator, either. :lol:

Back