Is Sign Language Frowned Upon?

I live in the chicago area and plan on moving to phoenix.

Even though latin is dead it could be a usefull tool. a lot of medical and law terminology has roots in latin. For example medical anatomy is just latin words describing body parts: cardiac=heart celiac=belly

also knowing latin number prefixes would help figure out words in the verbal portion of the SAT college entrance exam. for example tri=3

I went off on a tangent. Anyways, learning sign could be usefull in other ways besides communicating with people. you never know.

Ahh, maybe I would get to met you one day. I am living just outside Detroit and I have been meaning to move to Phoenix, too. I got tired of snow.

More power to you for wanting to learn sign language!

If you cant hear what else u gonna do?

Read lips, talk, sit quiet, or use natural gestures. You could do that. those are options. i do one of those or a combination of those with people who dont know asl.

Oh, but then sometimes I get the jerks who tell me not to use sign language when I do use it, "but you have a voice" .. "dont use sign language". I'm like .. screw you i'm a deaf guy.

Read lips, talk, sit quiet, or use natural gestures. You could do that. those are options. i do one of those or a combination of those with people who dont know asl.

thats not gonna go over too well in a job interview. better than nothing

Ahh, maybe I would get to met you one day. I am living just outside Detroit and I have been meaning to move to Phoenix, too. I got tired of snow.

More power to you for wanting to learn sign language!

yeah, I hate cold weather.

thats not gonna go over too well in a job interview. better than nothing

Why not? I can fake hearing so well that they dont even know I am deaf. My voice is 100% perfect as is my lip reading. I have done this sooooooo many times. I try not to do it anymore though because its not good. I prefer sign language now. Just saying, I have done it before and it is an option. Sometimes you gota do what you gota do!

Why not? I can fake hearing so well that they dont even know I am deaf. My voice is 100% perfect as is my lip reading. I have done this sooooooo many times. I try not to do it anymore though because its not good. I prefer sign language now. Just saying, I have done it before and it is an option. Sometimes you gota do what you gota do!

I agree..I have gotten several jobs from doing interviews without an terp (that was cuz I didnt know ASL at the time). When I did my first interview using ASL, I felt weird..LOL! It is all good though.

I agree..I have gotten several jobs from doing interviews without an terp (that was cuz I didnt know ASL at the time). When I did my first interview using ASL, I felt weird..LOL! It is all good though.

Yeah, because we are like aliens to them when we are using asl. Its wrong, completly wrong.

While I can't say I have a bunch of Deaf friends... even though I wish I did... I do find myself in the presence of Deaf individuals several times a year. It's not fair of me to NOT take the initiative to learn their language.

Much like going to another country where English is not spoken. If I want to go and interact with the people who live in a non-English speaking country, I'd better learn the language AND the culture.

Back