Is she qualified to be an audiologist???

I would report her if I were you. She's clearly trying to cheat the tests with the lip-reading.

My audiologist actually tells me to take my glasses off so I can't lip-read.

Ok, I went to my ENT for the insurance-required hearing test before talking to the doctor about getting a 2nd implant.

I already have a 7 year old Nucleus-24 on my right side.

The office has a 'new' audiologist, a woman in her late '40's with ADHD. :giggle:

This is a ENT office, and I am a patient with a hearing problem, right?

This woman came out to the crowded room and shouted my name while looking down at the papers.

Good thing I heard my name loud and clear, otherwise I would have been in that situation that we all go through: everyone in the waiting room stops talking and stares at you like you are an alien if you don't respond...

Ok, we both walk to the room together. She is asking me questions while not looking at me. Tells me to sit down

Her: what are you here for?

Me: I am here to discuss a possible 2nd implant in my left ear.

Her: You need to have a hearing test done, so please remove that hearing aid.

Me: I don't need a test in the implanted ear, just the other one. Implanted ears are 100% dead, you know?

Her: The paper here says 'hearing test', so I am going to do both anyway.

Me: Ok, fine. Whatever.

Puts the usual stuff in my ear, cranks up the pressure & volume until my head is ready to explode.

Her: Ok, now let's do the other one. (the un-implanted ear)

Repeats procedure.

Her: Ok, now go in that sound booth. I am going to say some words, repeat what I say.

I sit in the booth, facing away from the window.

Nothing....

I turn my head and look at her. She is obviously frustrated that I am not responding.

Me: Did you start yet?

Her: Yes, I told you to repeat what I said.

Me: I don't hear anything yet?

Her: Let me crank it up some more.

Me: Ok, now I hear something.

I turn my head away from the window.

I hear words, but after 10 words, I turn to her and shrug my shoulders.

Her: Can you read my lips?

Me: Yes.

Her: Ok, watch my lips. Say the word Baby. Say the word Kite. Say the word Toothbrush.

Me: Should I be reading your lips? Isn't this cheating on the test?

Her: Please be quiet and repeat after me. Say the word Peanut. Say the word Car....

This goes on for 2 more minutes, then she gets up and takes everything off, then tells me to go back and sit in the waiting room.

What the fuck?

I've been going to enough audi's to know what to expect.

I mentioned this to the ENT doctor, he rolled his eyes, let out a big sigh, and changed the subject. Apparently he is having a hard time finding good audi's.

you need tell her CAN YOU SIGN LANGUAGE if she ask you LIP READ ha
forget it go back office front desk ask for another audiology appt. :D

she could know better if ear exam cant hear 100% deaf ear
there no more test for fact ( CAN YOU LIP READ ) HOW about this
CAN YOU READ my hand ? :D

Fire your audie.

Fire your audie. And, make sure the ENT knows why you are going to a different CI center, too (if there is another one in your city).

Another person said that hearing aid dealers mostly deal with old people: True. When I was a dispensing engineer, 98% of my patients were over 70.

[I also had to bail out of the profession because my own speech scores weren't good enough to perform the speech testing.]

Ok, I went to my ENT for the insurance-required hearing test before talking to the doctor about getting a 2nd implant.

I already have a 7 year old Nucleus-24 on my right side.

The office has a 'new' audiologist, a woman in her late '40's with ADHD. :giggle:

This is a ENT office, and I am a patient with a hearing problem, right?

This woman came out to the crowded room and shouted my name while looking down at the papers.

Good thing I heard my name loud and clear, otherwise I would have been in that situation that we all go through: everyone in the waiting room stops talking and stares at you like you are an alien if you don't respond...

Ok, we both walk to the room together. She is asking me questions while not looking at me. Tells me to sit down

(cut)

I've been going to enough audi's to know what to expect.

I mentioned this to the ENT doctor, he rolled his eyes, let out a big sigh, and changed the subject. Apparently he is having a hard time finding good audi's.

Back