Is life harder for the deaf?

9fd5e5fe0373a92e788964be4c78c287.jpg

I almost went to find this for this thread :)

Actually a doctor asking you that doesn't make your life harder. Obviously the perception of hearing people comes into play, but it really boils down to how you handle it. Do you sit there dwelling on it? Being a victim? Blaming your deafness for all your problems? are you sitting on your cactus?

It's also your perspective. Me, if a doc did that I'd say "what a twat" maybe have words with him, but def go to a different doc. Would going to a different doc be a hassle? Probably. Would it make my life "harder"? No. If you think this is making your life harder that is a matter of your own perception and focus, it's you shoving that cactus straight up your ass.
A doctor makes a statement like that, it's called audism which gives deaf people a hard time. Doesn't it?

For example, if a doctor says I can't drive because I am deaf, I prove him wrong by showing my DL. I am sure that you see nothing wrong with that but why do I have to show him my DL to prove that I can drive? That's ridiculous.

Back to the topic, I support the OP to sue his dr all the way. What about you?

Last edited:
A doctor makes a statement like that, it's called audism which give deaf people a hard time. Doesn't it?

For example, if a doctor says I can't drive because I am deaf, I prove him wrong by showing my DL. I am sure that you see nothing wrong with that but why do I have to show him my DL to prove that I can drive? That's ridiculous.

I have no idea why you'd think I'd think it was okay. I said nothing of the sort. An occurrence with a doctor isn't "your life", guess what ****ty things happen to people ALL the time. What makes life hard is a person's own attitude. I'm sorry you can't see that.

Oh and the OP is a hearing girl enamorred with Switched at Birth. Refer to the John Wayne meme.

Last edited:
Obviously you didn't read the whole thread. It's not about the OP... it was Authentic brought up about the DR who tells us we can't drive.

Obviously you didn't read the whole thread. It's not about the OP... it was Authentic brought up about the DR who tells us we can't drive.
Oh, you got me. My bad, yeah it was Authentic who posted that issue, not the OP. BTW, I support him all the way and wish him a good luck.

I have no idea why you'd think I'd think it was okay. I said nothing of the sort. An occurrence with a doctor isn't "your life", guess what ****ty things happen to people ALL the time. What makes life hard is a person's own attitude. I'm sorry you can't see that.

Oh and the OP is a hearing girl enamorred with Switched at Birth. Refer to the John Wayne meme.
Lets see, are we blamed for what those idiots do to us? If that's not what you were saying, please clarify. If you are going to say to ignore what those idiots do to us and choose another dr, do you really expect us to let them get away with it? If you do that, we don't care. My point is that you are you and we are not you. Let it go.

Ambrosia does have a point. It is possible to have a good life as deaf, and ignorant comments should not be taken too personally because that takes focus away from more important and good things in life. Of course discrimination should be reported, but don't let negative experiences rule your life. Pay more attention to good, smart and kind people that you come across instead of the bad people. Life is simply more fun that way.

Ambrosia does have a point. It is possible to have a good life as deaf, and ignorant comments should not be taken too personally because that takes focus away from more important and good things in life. Of course discrimination should be reported, but don't let negative experiences rule your life. Pay more attention to good, smart and kind people that you come across instead of the bad people. Life is simply more fun that way.

Thank you and exactly!!!

I say 'Hats off'! to all those who stand up against Audism and ignorance. It is raising awareness that has brought society thus far, where many of us Deafies can, and do have a better life. It is not all negative to stand up for what is right.

I love Switched at Birth! :D

Being deaf and/or HOH isn't hard. Yes, it has its challenges, but that's mostly the people I deal with and technology issues. (If I could have a dollar for each time my hearing aid battery goes out in the middle of class, I'd be rich. :roll:) Yeah, there are certain jobs I can't do such as musicians and those phone operators and telemarketing people and secretaries (well, at least with the phone calls and intercoms). But I can do almost everything with just adjustments. We can do anything but hear! (Really!) I hate it when hearing folks feel sorry or bad for DHOH. There's nothing bad and worth of sorrow for deafness! :roll:

Plus, I like being D/HOH. I admittedly take advantage of turning off my hearing aids when I get tired of talking to people. I love that I can sleep without being waken by noise. Also, if it weren't for my hearing loss, I wouldn't have been surrounded by deaf/HOH people and I wouldn't have been inspired to learn ASL (which l'm still studyingm btw :P). I also don't hear noises hearing people complain about. :giggle:

So, yeah, there are challenges to deafness, but overall, it's not hard. It's just adaptation and adjustments.

Back