Is it too late to teach ASL?

entwisted

Reaction score
Hello,

I work with a 19-year-old on the autism spectrum who struggles a lot to process verbal information. He can hear and repeat some words, but quickly overloads when people are saying too much and too fast. I say things very slowly to him and he can repeat it, but his ability to draw meaning from auditory information is very poor. At this age, he has only very basic grammar capacity. I try to teach it to him, but even though he can do simple exercises on a worksheet, he hardly can even put a meaningful sentence together. Apparently, he was taught some ASL as a kid, but once he began to speak, they stopped teaching signing to him. I still see him use a sign or two and wonder if it would be much easier for him to sign, since he seems to be a lot better at visual than at auditory processing. But is it too late to teach ASL to a 19-year-old, just to facilitate communication and to perhaps help him with his grammar sense? What do you think?

Well, why is that 19 years old the way he is? A bunch of people must have been teaching him wrong. I'm sure you can do better. It won't hurt to try ASL. That guy is probably lonely because no one wants to teach him ASL. Try to work on ASL with him. See where it goes.

Back