Is it really so bad to know SEE (Sign Exact English?)

You clearly haven't read many of my posts.

What do you want? Our opinions? We already gave them to you so respect them. Of course, we respect yours.

yes, although the input or cue is different: a hearing child is matching a sound to a letter/word on the page, while a deaf child doesn't have access to that sound, so with these teaching systems like Visual phonics or SEE, there's instead a visual cue, not an auditory cue, there's a visual representation of the concept instead of an auditory representation to match to a letter or word.

One can learn to read and write English perfectly well with absolutely no awareness of the phonetic sound.

Don't you sign SEE with your hearing husband and ASL with ASL others? Same thing.

Looks like you know nothing. No way a deaf spouse uses SEE with a hearing spouse. It's so ridiculous. Do you expect someone saying "the dog is playing outside" in SEE to his/her hearing spouse like that? :laugh2:

One can learn to read and write English perfectly well with absolutely no awareness of the phonetic sound.

:cool2: Yes, that's exactly what we're talking about: visual ways to teach a child to read and write using teaching tools like Visual Phonics, SEE, fingerspelling, and so on.

:cool2: Yes, that's exactly what we're talking about: visual ways to teach a child to read and write using teaching tools like Visual Phonics, SEE, fingerspelling, and so on.

Do you actually understand how and why Visual Phonics is used?

Seems not, if your statement above is indicative of your perception.

Looks like you know nothing. No way a deaf spouse uses SEE with a hearing spouse. It's so ridiculous. Do you expect someone saying "the dog is playing outside" in SEE to his/her hearing spouse like that? :laugh2:

Oh? Because she said that somewhere a few years ago; probably before you came on the forum. She used SEE with her hearing spouse "because it was easier for him".

Wirelessly posted

Jane B. said:
I think we also need to keep in mind the wide range of locations represented on this forum. For instance BecLak is from Australia and GrendelQ is from New England, USA. I think there are bound to be differences in the way things referred to by the same name are actually used.

By the way, BecLak, what is the era you are referring to when you say "my era"?

Pre-PC era. PCs only became available to the general public after I completed high school. Shortly after that, I noticed a decline in correct spelling being taught in schools and a decline in kids having their noses stuck in a book. Our family are avid readers, and writers. Literacy comes from reading books. I didn't need a manually-coded learning system to acquire literacy. In my opinion, these were created for convenience and comfort of oralists and hearing parents not for the Dhh child to learn literacy. Totally not necessary.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
yes, although the input or cue is different: a hearing child is matching a sound to a letter/word on the page, while a deaf child doesn't have access to that sound, so with these teaching systems like Visual phonics or SEE, there's instead a visual cue, not an auditory cue, there's a visual representation of the concept instead of an auditory representation to match to a letter or word.

Amen to that Bottesini!! You and I are proof of that.

Wirelessly posted

Pre-PC era. PCs only became available to the general public after I completed high school. Shortly after that, I noticed a decline in correct spelling being taught in schools and a decline in kids having their noses stuck in a book. Our family are avid readers, and writers. Literacy comes from reading books. I didn't need a manually-coded learning system to acquire literacy. In my opinion, these were created for convenience and comfort of oralists and hearing parents not for the Dhh child to learn literacy. Totally not necessary.

I was afraid of that. I try to encourage my son to make an habit of reading a book in bed because he is away from the computer.

Yet Reba clearly has minimal real life experience with SEE, which is clear from her posts. That last statement is false.
Yet Reba clearly has many life experiences with both ASL and deaf. Are you suggesting that she needs to round out her resume?

Wirelessly posted

But didn't you say you were raised orally? Aren't we talking about teaching deaf children raised without an oral approach to read and write. Oralists would be focused on using spoken language as the bridge.

Wirelessly posted

Yes, I was raised oral without any accommodations. There were no manually-coded systems available to me. I didn't even have sign language. I had books, plenty of them.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Yes, I was raised oral without any accommodations. There were no manually-coded systems available to me. I didn't even have sign language. I had books, plenty of them.

So, you already had acquired spoken English (or whatever your first language is, I think I remember that you are multilingual) by the time you began learning to read and write? Or were you without language at all before learning to read/write? (I'm assuming the first, but want to check, just in case)

Wirelessly posted

I was born deaf in a hearing family. I learned to read from a very young age. I would follow the movements of my mother's mouth when she would read to my brother and I. I would also look at the letters/words and pictures in the book. When I was 7, I realized from reading that I was not speaking the whole word that I was seeing on the page. I re-taught myself asking my mother what each missing letter or combination was ie: the word 'desk' I was speaking 'de' but asked my mother how to say 'sk'. That is just a simple example. I worked at it a lot. (My hearing husband is multi-lingual and for the whole of my married life, I have been in a multi-lingual environment).

Last edited:
Literacy among deaf students is a very serious problem, Reba. On average, prelingually deaf readers graduate from high school with reading skills comparable to hearing third and fourth graders. That finding has been consistent throughout the past century. See more: http://www.alldeaf.com/parents-deaf...ess-skilled-deaf-readers-why.html#post2118237.

My reading level is so low I cannot comprehend what you are saying. :roll: I'm almost done with high school and I can sit down and read just as well as any hearing person can. I can write in English very well and I have been complemented on it.

I grew up in an entire deaf family except for my sister who is a CODA and my little brother who is HOH. We grew up on ASL and here I am, a good example of a deaf child using written English very well who did not grow up oral.

SEE good as a English learning tool but only when used with other visual aids. However, it should not be used a substitute for ASL. Having all of these "ings" when you go out to "play" would be confusing for me to have learned growing up. Which "ing" when I use?

I never once used SEE growing up. I learned by reading books, having conversations with my older brother and sister about the differences.

Kat01;2126774[B said:
]My reading level is so low I cannot comprehend what you are saying.[/B] :roll: I'm almost done with high school and I can sit down and read just as well as any hearing person can. I can write in English very well and I have been complemented on it.

I grew up in an entire deaf family except for my sister who is a CODA and my little brother who is HOH. We grew up on ASL and here I am, a good example of a deaf child using written English very well who did not grow up oral.

SEE good as a English learning tool but only when used with other visual aids. However, it should not be used a substitute for ASL. Having all of these "ings" when you go out to "play" would be confusing for me to have learned growing up. Which "ing" when I use?

I never once used SEE growing up. I learned by reading books, having conversations with my older brother and sister about the differences.

OOHH Poooorrrr you! Want some SEE? :lol:

I know it isn't popular but I first learned to sign through the total communication approach that my kindergarten and elementary school used.
For me, with useable hearing for many years, it worked out very well. I was able to fill in the missing words while keeping up (mostly) with the teacher.
It won't work for everybody. When we weren't in class we used ASL. But in class the interpreters used SEE or something very close to it (they signed "is" "was" "the" etc and used spoken English word order.)

Back