Is it okay for someone with hearing to teach deaf students?

D'oh! I just didn't get the sarcasm part of it :) Sometimes I can be a little slow.

Anytime I need to know the dirty signs, I'm coming to you :lol:

Also, I think it depends on the subject being taught, to some extent. Like, if the person is teaching about sign language or deaf culture, then I would want them to be deaf. Is that wrong of me? I just had a deaf culture class taught by a hearing woman who, though nice, was very out of touch with the deaf culture. Everything she told us was about 20 or 30 years old. Not helpful at all!

Second part, you know when hearing are wanting to teach deaf kids, and I mean this seriously, how many deaf teachers do you see in hearing classrooms like an elementary school. Think about that. Parents would be upset for their hearing kids to have a deaf teacher. But the reverse with hearing people having the jobs as teachers of the deaf, no one cares. :(

All through out high school i had a hearing teacher.. AND as strict as she was..she made me love ASL like no one ever has, not even deaf.. while i do love my deaf instructors in college now.. there are some good hearing ASL teachers they just really gotta know what they're teaching.

wow, i was mentioned in this thread. *feels flattered*
*coughs*

I'll be honest here - If you're really a seasoned deaf person you can tell who was taught by who and where and what.

I can identify which program interpreters graduated from. I can tell if a person was taught by a hearing person or a deaf person.

its all about the finer things... I dunno how to explain it but there is a difference.

Yes and I notice that is people who became deaf later who don't think a deaf person would be a better teacher for a deaf student. (And this is not sarcasm, but my more polite anwser the question.)

ouch. I did not think of that one. they should go ahead and become a teacher anyway.

ouch. I did not think of that one. they should go ahead and become a teacher anyway.

WHo? The hearing person or the late deafened person?

And I noticed people only started talking about teaching ASL.

I believe the OP asked about hearing people teaching deaf children all subjects in a classroom.

WHo? The hearing person or the late deafened person?

And I noticed people only started talking about teaching ASL.

I believe the OP asked about hearing people teaching deaf children all subjects in a classroom.

Hope I didn't misunderstand you. speaking of the the late deafened person that have more focusing with hands than hearing.

I believe that the OP is hearing and wondering if its ok for hearing person to teaching deaf children. Thats cool for me but i rather the heairng people have familiar with Deaf kids' needs

Hope I didn't misunderstand you. speaking of the the late deafened person that have more focusing with hands than hearing.

I believe that the OP is hearing and wondering if its ok for hearing person to teaching deaf children. Thats cool for me but i rather the heairng people have familiar with Deaf kids' needs

I know the OP is hearing, true.

But I meant divided camps. Deaf people say deaf teachers were better or their favorite.

Late deafened and hearing people say hearing people would be fine as TOD's. Even when they get a group of deaf people to tell them "no, the deaf people who taught me did much better than any hearing people who taught me."

Here's a hypothetical situation to muddy the waters:

Suppose there are two women competing for one position as teacher of deaf kids. Their academic backgrounds are exactly the same.

Candidate #1 is profoundly deaf. She lost her hearing almost overnight after high school graduation. Before starting college she got two cochlear implants. Her hearing with CI's, for all practical purposes, is almost back to the level prior to her deafness. She doesn't socially associate with any deaf adults. The only deaf people she knows are the deaf students.

Candidate #2 is hearing. Her parents, one sibling, her husband, and her son are deaf. Many of her friends are deaf. She's an active member of deaf advocacy organizations. She socializes often with many deaf adults.

Who should the school hire? Why?

Here's a hypothetical situation to muddy the waters:

Suppose there are two women competing for one position as teacher of deaf kids. Their academic backgrounds are exactly the same.

Candidate #1 is profoundly deaf. She lost her hearing almost overnight after high school graduation. Before starting college she got two cochlear implants. Her hearing with CI's, for all practical purposes, is almost back to the level prior to her deafness. She doesn't socially associate with any deaf adults. The only deaf people she knows are the deaf students.

Candidate #2 is hearing. Her parents, one sibling, her husband, and her son are deaf. Many of her friends are deaf. She's an active member of deaf advocacy organizations. She socializes often with many deaf adults.

Who should the school hire? Why?

That is interesting. I would take #2 because I know she will do a better job. Candidate one is really a hearing person in thought, manner, and deed.

That is interesting. I would take #2 because I know she will do a better job. Candidate one is really a hearing person in thought, manner, and deed.

In our experience, the choice was:

A profoundly deaf person who had grown up 100% oral, with a younger brother who was also oral. He has learned ASL well, but does NOT respect people who are ASL only, and has made fun of another Deaf person (who is a college professor) because of the way he "writes Deaf".

or

A woman who grew up with a Deaf friend in childhood. She went to school and became an interpreter. She then served a 2 year signing church mission. She worked for several years as an educational interpreter, and then finished school to become a Teacher of the Deaf. She is an amazing signer, and she believes with all her heart that all children with a hearing loss should be given ASL. (She was our first contact after Miss Kat got ID'ed, she is why we made the choices we did.) In fact, she got in trouble by the PIP program because all of her families were using sign, so they believed she wasn't being "unbiased" toward AVT. (Truth is she was just sharing all the facts)

Who is better, deaf or hearing?

The 2nd 1, the hearing 1. She is helping deaf kids and their families by being honest and giving the correct facts. I agree, children need sign language to help and to help them get a better grasp of English

The deaf person WOULD be ideal in some cases since they have a first hand experience of deafness, but to me the 1st person doesnt sound like a appropriate person as they do not respect people who are ASL only. People and children are different, some need ASL, some prefer Oral, it depends on their preferred communication method but i would stick with number 2.

In our experience, the choice was:

A profoundly deaf person who had grown up 100% oral, with a younger brother who was also oral. He has learned ASL well, but does NOT respect people who are ASL only, and has made fun of another Deaf person (who is a college professor) because of the way he "writes Deaf".

or

A woman who grew up with a Deaf friend in childhood. She went to school and became an interpreter. She then served a 2 year signing church mission. She worked for several years as an educational interpreter, and then finished school to become a Teacher of the Deaf. She is an amazing signer, and she believes with all her heart that all children with a hearing loss should be given ASL. (She was our first contact after Miss Kat got ID'ed, she is why we made the choices we did.) In fact, she got in trouble by the PIP program because all of her families were using sign, so they believed she wasn't being "unbiased" toward AVT. (Truth is she was just sharing all the facts)

Who is better, deaf or hearing?

of course, the second one you described. Like i said, i rather anyone who do familiar with Deaf kids' needs and have deaf friends as well.

wow, i was mentioned in this thread. *feels flattered*
*coughs*

I'll be honest here - If you're really a seasoned deaf person you can tell who was taught by who and where and what.

I can identify which program interpreters graduated from. I can tell if a person was taught by a hearing person or a deaf person.

its all about the finer things... I dunno how to explain it but there is a difference.

We were only talking about you because you may or may not be perverted :lol:

But I think I know what you mean -- I can always tell home schooled children from standard (I mean, public or private) schooled children based on little things too. How they interact with other kids, how they interact with adults, how they frame their questions, how they talk about themselves. It's hard to explain it, but it's very noticeable to me.

Is that kind of what you mean?

I've also been thinking of persuing Deaf Education (3rd or 4th grade). I've gotten a lot of different opinions on hearing teachers for deaf students. But I hope to satisfy both sides by going in depth with my Deaf Culture studies. I'm attending a community college right now and have a guaranteed transfer to Gallaudet next year. I will be attending for three to four years (after I recieve my Associates from my community college) studying ASL, Culture, Interpreting, and Deaf Education. I want people to know I mean business ;)

Ooo, that was easy Reba, even for a Late Deafened Person. lol

How about this question... "Is it okay to have a deaf teacher for hearing students?"

If deaf people are going to demand that we be fair and let deaf people be teachers for hearing students, then the respect should be shown the other way around as well.

me personally - have had one hearing teacher - before I was hoh and now Deaf teacher<s> and enjoy more and learn more from Deaf teachers.

I guess I personally can see how having a Deaf teacher teaching Deaf students would really help the students because of the shared perspective and experience. Not saying hearing "shouldn't" teach Deaf - but I can understand if that is preference-

Back