Is it ok for younger kids to play Dress up?

SweetOrchid

Reaction score
My friends has 3 little kids, 2 girls and a boy. Everytime when my friend fix her daughter's hair and the son who is 2 yrs old always wants his hair to be put in Ponytail just like his sisters. When the father sees that and he tells his son you not "girl" or "fag", and even the mother tells him that. They both should know that little kids don't understand the word you telling them. Just let them play dress up, just because they don't know it. It breaks my heart when both parents say that to their 2 yrs old son when he does not understand. They think that he'll grow up and becomes gay. It's just because he's 2 yrs old and is in house full of WOMEN and does not understand.

yeah of course!

mostly girls can play mom's clothing,shoes,anythings its fun!

if i have children one days i along have my clothing nor shoes for fun and also make-up too little not too much! when i was little girl my aunt give me make-up its so fun!

Explaining to 2 years old is tough and not understand. I agreed that mother should let him for a while till he get a light bulb then he'll say no more. My son don't understand till maybe around 3 years old. Aww poor that kid. :( Dress up is fun! My son is not into it...that's ok but he used his imaginations!!!

Yes, it's nothing wrong to let small children curious ... My both sons experienced their curious until they grow out of it...

Nothing worry about this...

It's natural curiousity.

I remember one of my friend when I was little does play the girly stuff, and he's straight today at same my age.

So a boy doing girl's stuff does not mean he's gay at all. Understand the difference between "identify" and "sexual orientation"...

This is a 2 year old child. He sees his sisters getting attention from the mother while she does their hair. He wants the same attention from his mother. He is not old enough to understand the difference between boys and girls, much less the difference between straight and gay. The mother should tell him, "Well, we can't do your hair in a pony tail, but how about if we do it a different way. It will make you look so handsome!"

This is a 2 year old child. He sees his sisters getting attention from the mother while she does their hair. He wants the same attention from his mother. He is not old enough to understand the difference between boys and girls, much less the difference between straight and gay. The mother should tell him, "Well, we can't do your hair in a pony tail, but how about if we do it a different way. It will make you look so handsome!"

Very good observation. I didn't think about him wanting attention.

I see nothing wrong... I remembered couple strongly Christian parents.. one of their son was about 2 yrs old.. he loved to play with dolls... i watched to see if the mother corrected him.. but she did not... she let him playing with Barbie dolls... now he is full grown up.. he is not gay at all....

it's okay for boy to play with girl toy. It's leap of curious that boy would know what girl want and end in bed early than before. *sniff*

I don't see anything wrong for kids to play dress up. I think that is perferctly normal reactions for kids to play dress up with kids or a playmate. If concern about boys playing dress up that perfectly okay. They don't understand what is dress up is, they just want to play for fun to do something. But it won't make them gay if that what you are worried about. Boys who play dress up don't means they will be come gay or be abnormal. :)

First, a boy dressing up as a girl beyond a certian age (beyond awareness of societal regulations regarding gender expression) is generally a sign of gender identity disturbances, to the possible extent of Gender Identity Disorder. This doesn't make someone gay! Gender identity and sexual orientation have nothing to do with eachother.

But really, this issue revolves around the fact that children that age do not have any concrete awareness of what gender roles are- ask a three year old boy what he wants to be when he grows up, and he might say "mother." At this age, it's not really an indicator of anything save for well functioning imaginative play, which is very healthy.

This is, without exception, the only stage in a boy's life where he'll be allowed to explore gender and have it written off as 'being a child', and beyond that, there's a huge amount of stigma attatched to such behavior.. so, and this is purely in my opinion, I think it should be allowed and even encouraged for as long as possible. When he begins more actively interacting with peers, ie at the start of school, he will begin to interact with other boys and you can bet that his behaviours will "reslove" themselves overnight.

More to the point, regardless of any dress up he might do, there's a fair chance that he'll be gay, and even if he isn't, most men who fall more towards the "heterosexual" side of the kinsey scale still have felt SOME attraction to men, or in some cases acted on it. It's remarkably uncommon for someone to be exclusively heterosexual their entire lifes.

That said, what his parents are doing to him is beyond dangerous. That kind of attitude towards homosexuality isn't just going to possibly make -him- hate himself later in life- it may form him into a future homophobe, thus essentially creating more hate. In my opinion, prohibiting the playing he's doing so that he's not acting like a "fag" is no less abusive than beating him.

Dress up isn't a big deal. My cousin and I used to get my lil bro to dress up in girls clothes all the time when we were younger. We all had a lot of fun when we were doing it and he turned out just fine. It sounds like the kid idolizes his sisters and wants to be like them. It's not the end of the world. :roll:

Back