Is it offensive to sign in public?

My ASL teacher told me about taking her class to a local chain restaurant. The class was to sign to each other, the teacher and not speak. They were to order without speaking. You get the idea... mind you, the manager is aware, the event is planned.

Another customer and his wife were so offended that he asked the manager to make the class leave! They stared, glared and pointed, rolled eyes, etc. at the class. The manager was very nice. He asked the man to leave!

This stuff happens. When signing with friends I try to make sure nosy hearies understand, if they are interested and seem friendly I will often try to include them if it is appropriate and I have the time. If they seem hostile, I just usually ignore them.

At another place, I went in alone. Eek, forgot to wear ald or ha's, cause it was vacation! I was getting a simple take out order. Server was great, but a customer waiting in line to pay - different story! Ugh. She told her friend - (I read her lips) "She don't hear you - never mind her!" As if she should just butt in and act as if I wasn't being helped first. I just smiled at her and got good eye contact. She lowered her eyes and stepped away. Her friend looked embarrassed.

Sign anywhere exept where your signing could get you in big trouble. Where is that? My former terp said some gangs will be offended. Not a problem here, but to be careful in larger cities or bad neighborhoods. I don't know about that. I have never been in that situation. Has any one here ever had a problem with that?? Could this be true?

If someone asked me to leave a restaurant because I use ASL, I would pour my drink on that person. Not kidding.

So true, Bots, yet I believe she was reacting to stories like this one -

Deaf Today v3.0: Suspected Gang Members Kill Deaf Man

This is from 2006, old. I think something may have been mentioned a year or more ago in Jamie Burk's site as well. I am "deafinately" not sure about Jamie's site, and I am on my way back to work.

Hey - Guess What???? They have hired another Deaf person to work in our office!!! Wow!! I can't wait for him to start. He is young and oral deaf. I hope he signs. We will definately be signing in public if he does. haha!

If he is oral deaf, he probably doesnt know any sign language and there is a chance that he wont want to learn it.

If he is oral deaf, he probably doesnt know any sign language and there is a chance that he wont want to learn it.

ok i know this is going a little :topic: and i do appologize for that, but what is oral deaf and how is it different from deaf?

Thanks

ok i know this is going a little :topic: and i do appologize for that, but what is oral deaf and how is it different from deaf?

Thanks

Oral deaf, someone who speaks instead of signs. I am an oral deaf. Usually a lot of oral deaf have what I call "deaf shame" lingering around them that is instilled into them by the education system and their parents. You know the whole "you will never be as good as a hearing person, no matter how hard you try" kind of shame. My parents has always encouraged me to be Deaf, with the capital D, but other factors in my life got me down the route of being oral, but with me it is... what's the English phrase? "Old habits die hard," I think?

I am working on incorporating sign language into my life; which is still strong in me because I do it on my own time. :) I won't be able to meet other signers if I don't sign in public.

So true, Bots, yet I believe she was reacting to stories like this one -

Deaf Today v3.0: Suspected Gang Members Kill Deaf Man

This is from 2006, old. I think something may have been mentioned a year or more ago in Jamie Burk's site as well. I am "deafinately" not sure about Jamie's site, and I am on my way back to work.

Hey - Guess What???? They have hired another Deaf person to work in our office!!! Wow!! I can't wait for him to start. He is young and oral deaf. I hope he signs. We will definately be signing in public if he does. haha!

I read that story and I am a little skeptical of the explanation. I think there was more going on. I have lived in bad neighborhoods before and never had a problem. I also was never combative or confrontational with gang bangers.

You get all types in all crowds. The deaf community is no exception. In my opinion, it would be selfish for anyone to find it offensive.

I am very glad that I do not have to worry about gangs in my usual routes.

You may remember from my earlier posts that my bosses gave me grief about deafness, signing, any and everything. I am very excited that now they would consider hiring another deaf person, let alone hire him. I feel like maybe I did a good job, and now "paved" the way. (nah - probably not)

Shel, you may be right that he may not sign, but it's still cool that I am not the only one here now. Shel, wish I had your courage. I do stand up for myself, just never had to pour a drink on someone for that reason. Too cheap! ha!

I am very glad that I do not have to worry about gangs in my usual routes.

You may remember from my earlier posts that my bosses gave me grief about deafness, signing, any and everything. I am very excited that now they would consider hiring another deaf person, let alone hire him. I feel like maybe I did a good job, and now "paved" the way. (nah - probably not)

Shel, you may be right that he may not sign, but it's still cool that I am not the only one here now. Shel, wish I had your courage. I do stand up for myself, just never had to pour a drink on someone for that reason. Too cheap! ha!

I never had to do it but I would use water. It is free, right?

Thanks

Someone who is deaf but doesnt know any sign language. I am a former oral deaf.

Oral deaf, someone who speaks instead of signs. I am an oral deaf. Usually a lot of oral deaf have what I call "deaf shame" lingering around them that is instilled into them by the education system and their parents. You know the whole "you will never be as good as a hearing person, no matter how hard you try" kind of shame. My parents has always encouraged me to be Deaf, with the capital D, but other factors in my life got me down the route of being oral, but with me it is... what's the English phrase? "Old habits die hard," I think?

I am working on incorporating sign language into my life; which is still strong in me because I do it on my own time. :) I won't be able to meet other signers if I don't sign in public.

Yea, I grew up with that "deaf shame". If only I knew.

There is one thing I notice was hearing people were signing dirty or nasty finger signs that is offensive and making joke or poking fun of us, Deafies like pretending that they are signing which they don't know nothing about. That is what bother me a lot. As long as hearing people who are interest in ASL or sign language to just sign the proper and clean sign language without the offensive nasty sign language. I don't know if the father notice something that bother him what the person was signing. But it is a free country to have anyone signs or speak in any native languages. I would open my arms to hearing people for signing the proper ASL. This is my opinion what I think is wrong with the father opposing on the hearing person way of signing. If they are laughing and doing something nasty with their signs, then it would be offensive. Do you see what I am talking about? :scratch:

I only think that is true if a gang perceives you as a weakling and easy target.

I don't think they will be mistaking ASL for gang signs. :lol:

Also I'm surprised about your restaurant experience, the worst thing I have ever seen is people watching and then looking embarrassed if caught. :shrug:

I have heard of stories of deaf people getting hurt by the gang members. I saw on the tv back in Detroit that a young deaf black teenager was beaten up by the gang. I think one of his eyes was hurt. I can't remember if he was blinded in that eye as well.

More on deaf beating in San Diego - San Diego Deaf Hate Crime

Gang members have signs that show who they represent, also have signs saying...err...down with the other gang...(and thats the clean version) :giggle: They also have different colors representing their gangs...like Red for Bloods and Blue for Crips. You just have to be careful of what neighborhood your in, but hearing people have just the same problems by watching what color shirt they wear. Thought I should help clear up the questions with my 2cents :D

I have heard of stories of deaf people getting hurt by the gang members. I saw on the tv back in Detroit that a young deaf black teenager was beaten up by the gang. I think one of his eyes was hurt. I can't remember if he was blinded in that eye as well.

I am surprised. I hadn't heard about it. Guess I am glad to be in relatively safe Iowa.

I remember meeting a deaf man who used to live in LA and he told me about some deaf who got killed by gang members because they thought they were using gang signals.

It's not offensive to sign in public, but I've had several uncomfortable encounters with people who think it is...

:wtf: It's not offensive at all -- we all have the right to speak whatever languages we want.

This thread is fascinating to me, especially as a hearing person who wants to practice ASL. I came out of ASL class last night with a friend of mine and we were signing to each other to practice both expressive and receptive skills. I've gotten used to signing with my Deaf roommates and I sometimes forget and sign to my hearing friends who don't know ASL just out of habit. I try to practice as much as possible and people probably think I'm crazy when they see me walking down the street signing to my iPod. It's good to have the reassurance that I wouldn't be offending anyone. :)

This thread is fascinating to me, especially as a hearing person who wants to practice ASL. I came out of ASL class last night with a friend of mine and we were signing to each other to practice both expressive and receptive skills. I've gotten used to signing with my Deaf roommates and I sometimes forget and sign to my hearing friends who don't know ASL just out of habit. I try to practice as much as possible and people probably think I'm crazy when they see me walking down the street signing to my iPod. It's good to have the reassurance that I wouldn't be offending anyone. :)

Not bad what you are doing. You are free to do your signing to yourself or to another hearing person who don't know anything about ASL or Sign Language. Keep up with your signing skills. Don't let anyone tell you to stop signing. Keep doing it. :cool2: :thumb:

Back