Is it normal.....

Where is the swelling? Picture would be good.

The swelling was at the base of her ankles.

Doctor said the long flight to US was basically a main contributor to the swelling and also the humidity could be a factor, too.

I am no doctor but that doesn't sound normal to me either. Maybe there is water on it. I had a knee injury over 20 years ago and it is still swollen a little but that is only becuase there is some water there.

I had swollen ankles from water-retention, despite low-sodium diet. My hypothyroidism causes this, and it did not go away as I hoped with my thyroid treatments. I was experiencing swelling in my fingers. My doctor prescribed water pills for me. The one I take is Furosemide. And it DOES work. I take it only when I need to. Be careful with it, so that you don't get dehydrated and eat bananas daily, so you don't get your potasssium depleted. You may want to have your thyroid levels checked. It is done by a simple blood test and the results come in a week later.

I know everybody here gave you a lot of suggestions, and they're all goo suggestions. This is just my experience and thyroid testing should be in the normal physical exams because thyroid conditions are very common and can cause serious problems worse than water-retention.

Mild swelling on the top of the foot. I went through the whole routine of ice and heat for a good 6 months before the doctor said to stop. There were x-rays and no fractures or breaks. I am not very mobile as I have extenuating circumstances with my legs and walking is hard for me. I also can't sit for long periods due to my leg issues.

Sounds like edema. I have that and I have problems with swollen feet especially my right foot. Doctor thinks the swelling is there as a result of my heart bypass surgery; several veins were removed from my right leg to my heart.

I notice that if I don't eat a lot of high sodium foods the swelling will go down. I don't think the swelling in my feet - especially my right foot will go away. I dread squeezing my feet into my shoes. I wonder if that's the case with you?

You might want to get your thyroid and kidneys checked as well as problems with either one can cause swelling.

While I am in the early stages of kidney disease, the swelling was not caused by my kidneys as I have no symptoms other than that I'm passing protein in my urine.

Sounds like edema. I have that and I have problems with swollen feet especially my right foot. Doctor thinks the swelling is there as a result of my heart bypass surgery; several veins were removed from my right leg to my heart.

I notice that if I don't eat a lot of high sodium foods the swelling will go down. I don't think the swelling in my feet - especially my right foot will go away. I dread squeezing my feet into my shoes. I wonder if that's the case with you?

You might want to get your thyroid and kidneys checked as well as problems with either one can cause swelling.

While I am in the early stages of kidney disease, the swelling was not caused by my kidneys as I have no symptoms other than that I'm passing protein in my urine.

Did have thyroid and kidneys checked. No problem. Also, no problems with shoes for the most part. When I wear my sandals or my dress shoes, they are a little snug on the one foot. My sneakers aren't, but I just loosen the laces every time I remove them. The only thing the doctor thinks, is that it is some water retention and I will be going back onto water pills.

could be scar tissue. i've screwed up my ankles and it takes longer to break down the scar tissue after a really bad sprain. also there my be fluid build up. that will also happen and needs therapy to break it down or have it drained. after 6 weeks it can't be a hemota

Back