Is it normal.......?

Is it normal.......?

• Is it natural to hide your body from your children? If yes, why?

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Is it natural to show your nude body from your children? If yes, why?

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Do you feel embarassment to be nude front of your children? If yes why?

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
^Angel^ said:
I remember not to long ago when we were driving to my dad's cabin which it's about a couple hours away from where we live, There was a group of girls that were riding in the back of a truck, they were teasing the drivers by pulling their shirts up by showing their breasts, I remember my children being in the back seat, I quickly turned around trying to get their attention so they wouldn't be looking at them, but I suppose it didn't help much....

Some people can be a bit immature when they act like that and it's not really a smart thing to do especially in front of children or when distracting others from paying attention to driving out on the road....

Yeah, it's same with us, too.

We saw like what you describe here in Germany sometimes but it doesn't bother my sons. All what they show their signal is: ***shake the head*** and said to me that what they did is stupid.

Magatsu said:
Depends on culture and country. In Sweden or Japan, it is no big deal to see the naked parents. There are lots of "nude" beaches in Sweden. I don't know much about Germany or UK but europeans shared with me that they have similar philosophy as Swedish people concerning about this topic. After all, we were born naked *gasp*! That's what puritans will never get it. The biggest problem in America is Puritanism. I am not saying that all of Americans are puritans. Hell, I am American and I am not puritan.

I personally don't see anything wrong with this issue at all... Of course as long as in our own property and get the prying eyes out of the pictures. Again, that's my opinion. I never seen my father or mother naked in my childhood era.

Edit: Oops, I forget to answer your question. Yes, it is definitely natural to show our naked bodies to our children with no questions and without any doubts.

Yes, I was surprise about your comment about "pruitans" because I heard about this very often from my American co-workers, also US soliders's German wives like what I mentioned in my previous posts.

Yes, there're nudity beaches in Germany. I would not show my nudity bodies to public but topless everywhere in Europe. There're common to use topless around Europe where the children are around. They are not pay their attention when they see topless people. Europeans feel uncomforable to being topless in America because of immature children like what I mentioned in my previous posts. I haven't try in America but I know from people what they have their experience in America.

Well, every cultures are differents.

I was surprised when I saw Americans's comments about nudity. I guess that Americans realized showly that nudity is a natural.

Oceanbreeze said:
I agree with you. I think once a child reaches the age where they start asking questions, than that is the time to cover up. Children need to learn boundaries, and they have to learn those boundaries from the adults around them.

I has to disagree with you respectfully.

Check my previous post over "Modern Day Body Acceptance "

Magatsu said:
Once again, I guess I crossed the line and shared my 'radical' views with you. And also I am a not parent so I guess I have no rights (er, privileges) to "voice" my opinion as what I did above.

No, I see nothing wrong if you post your own opinion here. You still has the right to share your opinion here. No matter either you has children or not.

Your opinion here is welcome to share agree/disagree with our opinions. I'm interesting to hear your opinion here. :hug:

Magatsu said:
Here's a question for you, why it is embarrassed or shamed to reveal ourselves to our children when they were young...? I read somewhere in medical journal about parents revealed their naked bodies when their kids were young which helped the reducing of rate of rape. I wonder, is that why rate of rape is relatively low in UK or Japan than in America? Here's statistic and this statistic (run down by America and its own U.S. Department of Justice. Yessir/ma'am, none of statistics by UN).

There are plenty of beneficials reasons: closeness, better understanding of their bodies, be proud of their own bodies, self-confidence, self-assured, self-esteem, the list is nearly limitless... According to this book (I think that's the book I learned from), America is only one industrialized country on this Earth that rejected the idea of "be proud of your body and your nakedness body" philosophy.

Edit: Reba and anyone, I strongly suggest to pick up some psychology/behavior-related books and read. It may will help you to understand bit better about these issues.

Yes, I heard about this too.

The United States has a high rate of rape according to statistics. Even some travel books warn travelers about the high rate of rape in the United States. The United States is also considered a rather violent country where homicide is far too frequent. Some experts will come right out and say that the United States is the world’s most violent industrial nation. The United States also has one of the highest prison populations in the world. Minority men make up the largest percentage of the prison population. A case could be made that their high incarceration rate is a low killing genocide or gendercide. Oftentimes minority males are subjected to racial profiling and have a much lower access to quality judicial representation. Prisoners and suspects in the United States are subjected to humiliating strip searches. Frequently, guards use these strip searches as a means to control prisoners. Some of these people feel that they have been legally raped after having their body cavities physically searched.

Male and female rape is a big problem in American prisons. Uncaring or even sadistic guards will allow one inmate to rape another inmate. In the documentary movie Scared Straight the issue of male rape in U.S. prisons is used as a threat to stop boys from becoming criminals. I can’t help wonder where are the guards and why aren’t they stopping the rapes? Those, familiar with conditions in male prisons understand that guards will allow dominant male prisoners to rape the meeker males. Rape is allowed because it helps to maintain social order in prison. A debate is emerging that if prison rape is included in statistics it would show that there are more acts of sexual violence committed against men than against women in the United States. In America, due to AIDS and rape, a man sent to jail for petty theft could eventually have a death sentence. Psychologists believe that sexual violence begets sexual violence how will these men behave after they get out of prison? Prurient viewing, by guards of the opposite sex, of prisoners who are showering or using the toilet happens all too much in United States prisons. The United States of America could hardly be called a naturist country. It is a country that places a great emphasis on sexuality.

Check this link:
"Is Genocide related to the forbidding of nakedness?"
http://www.teklinepublishing.com/natgen.htm

The link tell you everything about other countries. It's not just America but other countries, too.

It also mention at link ""Modern Day Body Acceptance " in my previous posts, too. It's worth to read them.

Other link, too. You can read everything when you are interesting because it's also relate to nudity and rape, too.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/saturdayspin/201315_bqweb27.html

http://www1.chapman.edu/wilkinson/socsci/sociology/Faculty/Babbie/e211/Ch04-Sexuality.html

^Angel^ said:
Well, that's depends on whether or not you have a son or a daughter, and also it would be depending on their ages too....

I have no problem if I had a daughter and she has seen me naking, or changing my clothes but I have 3 boys, and there are times my boys do open the bedroom door without knocking first while I am changing my clothes or I just got out of the shower, I could see the looks on my boys' face when they see a their own mother being nude, I do get embarrassed...

My little one is 5 years old, I still take a shower with him and I'm not embarrassed about that part since hes still a little boy but my other two sons are older now, so it would be best if they didn't see their mom being nude anymore and to give her some privacy...

Yes I agree with you as I am mother of three daughters, we don't think twice as it is part of our life at home - no big deal. I don't want any of my nieces or nephews to see me in nude. They are part of the family but to me, no thanks! :lol:

One thing I find it wrong is my friend allow her 15 years old son to sleep in same bedroom as her 17 years old daughter, they sleep each their own twin bed, but I feel it should be seperate to sleep and changing room more privately???? :eek:

I read the links.

I still saw nothing in those references that proved children seeing naked parents reduced rape.

I saw nothing in the references that proved modesty caused genocide. So what if Hitler wanted people to dress modestly? That had nothing to do with his hatred for Jews, and his lust for power. Hitler was also a vegetarian. Does that mean people who don't eat meat are likely to become killers? Of course not. There is no connection.

I had to laugh at the paragraph about the mild-mannered ancient Egyptians, sweetly lounging about in their transparent robes. I don't think the generations of Hebrew slaves would see them that sweetly.

I saw no proof of cause and effect in any of the links. Lots of statistics about rape but nothing showing a reason related to parental nudity. I don't know the point of these lengthy links.

Summer time in Australia I would find a housewife wearing a 2 piece swimming bathers on doing their food shopping here, and some went to school to collect their children.

It is part of Australian culture.

Tamara said:
Yes I agree with you as I am mother of three daughters, we don't think twice as it is part of our life at home - no big deal. I don't want any of my nieces or nephews to see me in nude. They are part of the family but to me, no thanks! :lol:

:confused:
We are talking about our own children, not relatives.
^Angel^ talked about her own children, not her relatives.
I made the poll to question about nudity between the parents and their children, not relatives like what you mentioned niece and nephew, etc.

One thing I find it wrong is my friend allow her 15 years old son to sleep in same bedroom as her 17 years old daughter, they sleep each their own twin bed, but I feel it should be seperate to sleep and changing room more privately???? :eek:

Yes, I know that the children need their own bedroom instead of share with their siblings. It´s nicer to have the children own their rooms with their different taste but....

My sister had only 2 bedroom house and have no spare room for their 3 children. They sleep in one room because she can´t afford to rent big one.

Some of people can´t afford to rent more rooms apartment. Perhaps your friends are one of them?

Who were the historical Puritans?

THE PURITANS

The most obvious difference between the Pilgrims and the Puritans is that the Puritans had no intention of breaking with the Anglican church. The Puritans were nonconformists as were the Pilgrims, both of which refusing to accept an authority beyond that of the revealed word. But where with the Pilgrims this had translated into something closer to an egalitarian mode, the "Puritans considered religion a very complex, subtle, and highly intellectual affair," and its leaders thus were highly trained scholars, whose education tended to translate into positions that were often authoritarian. There was a built-in hierarchism in this sense, but one which mostly reflected the age: "Very few Englishmen had yet broached the notion that a lackey was as good as a lord, or that any Tom, Dick, or Harry...could understand the Sermon on the Mount as well as a Master of Arts from Oxford, Cambridge, or Harvard" (Miller, I: 4, 14). Of course, while the Puritan emphasis on scholarship did foster such class distinction, it nevertheless encouraged education among the whole of its group, and in fact demanded a level of learning and understanding in terms of salvation. Thomas Hooker stated in The Application of Redemption, "Its with an ignorant sinner in the midst of all means as with a sick man remaining in the Apothecaries shop, ful of choycest Medicines in the darkest night: ...because he cannot see what he takes, and how to use them, he may kill himself or encrease his distempers, but never cure any disease" (qtd. in Miller, I: 13).

Knowledge of Scripture and divinity, for the Puritans, was essential. This was an uncompromising attitude that characterized the Puritans' entry into New England, according to Perry Miller and Thomas H. Johnson, whose thematic anthology, The Puritans (1932, 1963), became a key text of revisionist historicism, standing as an influential corrective against the extreme anti-Puritanism of the early twentieth century. Following Samuel Eliot Morison, they noted that the emphasis on education saw the establishment, survival, and flourishing of Harvard College--which survived only because the entire community was willing to support it, so that even the poor yeoman farmers "contributed their pecks of wheat" for the continued promise of a "literate ministry" (Miller, I: 14). And again, to their credit, Puritan leaders did not bolster the knowledge of its ministry simply to perpetuate the level of power of the ruling elite. A continuing goal was to further education among the laity, and so ensure that not only were the right and righteous ideas and understandings being held and expressed, but that the expressions were in fact messages received by a comprehending audience. An Act passed in Massachusetts in 1647 required "that every town of one hundred families or more should provide free common and grammar school instruction." Indeed, the first "Free Grammar School" was established in Boston in 1635, only five years after the Massachusetts Bay Colony was founded (Miller, II: 695-97). For all the accusations of superstition and narrow-mindedness, the Puritans could at least be said to have provided their own antidote in their system of schools. As John Cotton wrote in Christ the Fountaine of Life, "zeale is but a wilde-fire without knowledge" (qtd. in Miller, I: 22).

The Puritans who, in the 1560s, first began to be (contemptuously) referred to as such, were ardent reformers, seeking to bring the Church to a state of purity that would match Christianity as it had been in the time of Christ. This reform was to involve, depending upon which Puritan one asked, varying degrees of stripping away practices seen as residual "popery"--vestments, ceremony, and the like. But many of the ideas later associated strictly with the Puritans were not held only by them. The Calvinist doctrine of predestination, with which Puritanism agreed, was held by the Pilgrims as well: both believed that the human state was one of sin and depravity; that after the Fall all but an elect group were irrevocably bound for hell; that, because God's knowledge and power was not limited by space or time, this group had always been elect. In other words, there was nothing one could do about the condition of one's soul but try to act as one would expect a heaven-bound soul to act.

As Perry Miller points out, they inherited Renaissance humanism just as they inherited the Reformation, and so held an interesting place for reason in their overall beliefs. The Puritan idea of "Covenant Theology" describes how "after the fall of man, God voluntarily condescended...to draw up a covenant or contract with His creature in which He laid down the terms and conditions of salvation, and pledged Himself to abide by them" (Miller, I: 58). The doctrine was not so much one of prescription as it was of explanation: it reasoned why certain people were saved and others were not, it gave the conditions against which one might measure up one's soul, and it ensured that God would abide by "human conceptions of right and justice"--"not in all aspects, but in the main" (Miller, I: 58). The religious agency for the individual Puritan was then located in intense introspection, in the attempt to come to an awareness of one's own spiritual state. As with the Pilgrims, the world, history, everything for the Puritan became a text to be interpreted. One could not expect all of God's actions to be limited by one's ideas of reason and justice, but one at least had a general sense, John Cotton's "essentiall wisdome," as guidance. And of course, one had the key, the basis of spiritual understanding, the foundational text and all-encompassing code, the Bible.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CAP/PURITAN/purhist.html

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes, I know that the children need their own bedroom instead of share with their siblings. It´s nicer to have the children own their rooms with their different taste but....
It is more important than just "different taste" when it involves older children of opposite sex. I don't think she was concerned about whether or not the room was decorated with Barbie v. NASCAR. It is about privacy.

Even if they have to share a small room, they can set up portable room dividers.

I has to disagree with you respectfully.

Check my previous post over "Modern Day Body Acceptance "
I agree with Oceanbreeze. Boundaries are important in all aspects of life, along with self-discipline, and respect for others. Children actually feel more secure with boundaries. That is boundaries that allow flexibility and choices within the boundaries.

Well im only 18, and not yet a parent. (I definally will wait till im 25! lol) Its true that children, by the time they get to the pre-teenage years they would get embarrased or grossed out to see their parents in the nude. I would say its okay to be nude with the child if they are young because they were born naked.

Reba said:
It is more important than just "different taste" when it involves older children of opposite sex. I don't think she was concerned about whether or not the room was decorated with Barbie v. NASCAR. It is about privacy.

Even if they have to share a small room, they can set up portable room dividers.

Please re-read my post carefully. I never say that Tamara talking about taste but ME. I only tell her my opinion that it would be nicer for the children to have their own rooms because of their different tastes.

I am refered Tamara´s post about one room as what she mentioned about the sex of teenagers share one room and also agree that the children should have their own rooms instead of share one room. I explained her what I guess some of parents can´t afford to rent large apartment, that´s all.

Yes, I beleive that the children have their own rooms and choose their tastes because they have different tastes what they pick for their proud bedroom.

Nusentinsaino said:
Well im only 18, and not yet a parent. . . Its true that children, by the time they get to the pre-teenage years they would get embarrased or grossed out to see their parents in the nude. ..
You certainly can more recently remember your pre-teen and teen years better than some of us older posters. :)

Please re-read my post carefully. I never say that Tamara talking about taste but ME. I only tell her my opinion that it would be nicer for the children to have their own rooms because of their different tastes.

I am refered Tamara´s post about one room as what she mentioned about the sex of teenagers share one room and also agree that the children should have their own rooms instead of share one room. I explained her what I guess some of parents can´t afford to rent large apartment, that´s all.

Yes, I beleive that the children have their own rooms and choose their tastes because they have different tastes what they pick for their proud bedroom.
Yes, I know that Tamara was referring to the two teens sharing a room. I know that you were referring to "taste". That is what I replied to. My point was, separate sleeping areas for teens' privacy is more important than "taste" or pride.

Reba said:
I agree with Oceanbreeze. Boundaries are important in all aspects of life, along with self-discipline, and respect for others. Children actually feel more secure with boundaries. That is boundaries that allow flexibility and choices within the boundaries.

Yes, I teach my children positive ways of behaving, respect, not judge etc. etc. etc.

I also teach my children to positive their life.

If you teach your child to be ashamed, they will be ashamed, If you teach them to be proud, they will be well adjusted and proud.

My children knows the limit.

Reba said:
Yes, I know that Tamara was referring to the two teens sharing a room. I know that you were referring to "taste". That is what I replied to. My point was, separate sleeping areas for teens' privacy is more important than "taste" or pride.

Yes, I´m agree that the children also need their own rooms for their privacy, too.

Would you choose something to furnish and wall color for your children´s room without ask your children what they like? For me, no.

...Would you choose something to furnish and wall color for your children´s room without ask your children what they like? For me, no.
Depended on the age of our daughter, and who was paying for the stuff. We worked it out together. My daughter didn't really have a strong "style" preference.

Oops, sorry, :topic:

Back