is it normal for deaf people to worry about this?

naturelchick

Reaction score
Is it just me or pretty common for a deaf person from a hearing family to worry a lot about breathing too loud that it causes erratic/tense breathing? I also worry that I'm too loud when I'm eating...I know its ridiculous and I try to forget about it but it always comes back

I do worry about those sort of things... it drives me nuts.

Especially when Im in a public bathroom.. Im always worried if I'm too loud... or if anyone could hear me. :S Im self-conscious about how my breathing sounds, if my laughter is too annoying, etc.

lolol .. yup. I thought about these a lot too, wondering how loud my guffaws, chewing/peeing, breathing/sighing and knocks are!

That's normal, my husband would never fart in front of me because he was nervous about the sound it would make, I shouldn't of told him all farts are different because he does it all the time now :-S

I didn't know until I got CI at age of 30..... too late eh!! LOL... Now days I know I am not making much noise. My mum now says, stop making me jump when I walk up to her quietly!

Oh yes, I've been tormented for years over every little sound I've made. Right now I am so self-conscious about making noises, so I usually eat alone and cannot use a bathroom when other people are in it.

one time in my science class (in public school, I was the only deaf there) , there was this cute guy who was sitting next to me when we gathered up closely together. He never talked to me before and never teased me or anything. and all a sudden, he turned to me and ask me if I could just breathe quietly. he was sincere about it too, he wasn't laughing or anything, he was distracted by it. I didn't even know I was a loud breather... out of embarrassment, I keep holding my breath during the whole class period.

Oh yes, I've been tormented for years over every little sound I've made. Right now I am so self-conscious about making noises, so I usually eat alone and cannot use a bathroom when other people are in it.

me and you both.

one time in my science class (in public school, I was the only deaf there) , there was this cute guy who was sitting next to me when we gathered up closely together. He never talked to me before and never teased me or anything. and all a sudden, he turned to me and ask me if I could just breathe quietly. he was sincere about it too, he wasn't laughing or anything, he was distracted by it. I didn't even know I was a loud breather... out of embarrassment, I keep holding my breath during the whole class period.

Sometimes it can be a good thing when hearing people inform us that we are making unusual sounds so that we can "keep it quiet" at the appropriate times, however, some people take it too far.

Since I got my CI, I have learned that hearing people make a lot of noise, too.

I knew one deaf girl that moaned nonstop while eating. Sounded like she was having an orgasm. :laugh2:

hey, I was just breathing comfortably... now I have to work on breathing quietly and it doesn't seem comfortable at all. Seriously, I didn't know there was a right way and wrong way of breathing.. other than people telling other people to breathe with their mouth close (breathing through your mouth is very noisy but some people are mouth breather because of allergies)

I've had people tell me also..."you breathe heavily!"....deafies don't realize the noise they make. Even when signing!....And eating.
I "bang around" a lot when I'm in the kitchen, with pots and pans. Was embarrassing when a new friend (hearing) who was invited for dinner, came into the kitchen and said..."is everything alright?"....:laugh2:

Damn, high school was a nightmare for me. I was the only deafie in the high school and I fixated over my breathing. I would hold my breath and try not to make audible gasps as I let out my breaths. I guess by the odd looks by people sitting close by, I was at death's door.

me and you both.

And my stomach. It was such a traitor. It would growl, no, bark during a class session, so all the gods were gleefully after me.

But now, in retrospect...
I'd rick roll these who bitches at me.

Two reasons I decided to date and marry a deaf/HOH woman: Great communication, and I don't have to worry about her hounding me over my pronunciation and personal habits. Hearing people can only put up with our shortcomings for so long.

They pick on us about the noise we make, but take offense if they are criticized for making other noises....

i have had a terp tell me that terps talk amongst themselves about the noises that deaf people make:gossip:. and when there is a large group of deaf the noise can sound like a zoo. myself, i always wonder what noises i make when i take a dump at work and someone is in the next stall

Back