Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U want ASL to be eliminated and Deaf culture destroyed?

I NEVER said anything like that! I said that children being left without language would disappear.

As an adult, you think it is easier for a person without oral skills to interact with the rest of society than someone who can speak and hear well?

My life is good now and so are many deaf people's lives...are u devaluing their value of lives based on hearing standards?

I NEVER said anything like that! I said that children being left without language would disappear.

It seems like u dont want deaf children to need ASL so I am asking u..do u want ASL to be eliminated?

My life is good now and so are many deaf people's lives...are u devaluing their value of lives based on hearing standards?

I simply asked a question. I said that I believe my child's life will be easier if she learns to hear and speak well. I don't think it is right, and it sucks that society is this way, but I think it is a fact.

I repeat my question:

You believe that it is easier for a person without oral skills to interact with society than someone who hears and speaks well?

Hearing and speaking well is a different thing than saying a deaf person with great oral skills fares better.

I simply asked a question. I said that I believe my child's life will be easier if she learns to hear and speak well. I don't think it is right, and it sucks that society is this way, but I think it is a fact.

I dont know...some hearing people have a shitty life while some deaf people have good lives...if it was all based on being able to hear and speak well, then all deaf people without oral skills would lead shitty lives while all hearing people would have wonderful lives.

It seems like u dont want deaf children to need ASL so I am asking u..do u want ASL to be eliminated?

Of course not. ASL is a huge part of who Miss Kat is. I am so glad she has it. It has made her funny, creative and so expressive. Now that she is hearing well, the school is trying to make us "wean her from signing" and we have refused. We believe that she will always need ASL.

Hearing and speaking well is a different thing than saying a deaf person with great oral skills fares better.

Well, my goal is to have my daughter hear and speak well. I believe that will make her daily life easier.

Of course not. ASL is a huge part of who Miss Kat is. I am so glad she has it. It has made her funny, creative and so expressive. Now that she is hearing well, the school is trying to make us "wean her from signing" and we have refused. We believe that she will always need ASL.

A Deaf charter school is anti sign?!!

U are really confusing me with the kinds of questions you are posting cuz it seems like u want all deaf children to become hearing and not use ASL.

I don't understand, what is the difference between what I said, and what they posted?

She is talking about a hearing person...Miss Kat is deaf with a CI.

U are really confusing me with the kinds of questions you are posting cuz it seems like u want all deaf children to become hearing and not use ASL.

I am just a curious person. I want to know what the Deaf community believes.

Also, just because a deaf child doesn't use ASL doesn't mean they have "become hearing"

I am just a curious person. I want to know what the Deaf community believes.

Also, just because a deaf child doesn't use ASL doesn't mean they have "become hearing"

Everyone in the Deaf community thinks differently...but I can vouch that at least a large majority of the members value and believe strongly giving every deaf/hoh chidlren ASL and maybe half of them would believe in giving oral training while the other half may not and I cant speak for the latter half cuz I am not one of them. I have a feeling that most ADers are in support of giving deaf children opportunities to learn oral skills along with ASL.

a fully deaf child needs to have access to ASL. You can try to teach them to speak.

but ASL will always be their first language.

As for a HOH child or CI child. The Bi bi program will be good for them. As long as ASL is not excluded. Because as soon as the devices are removed they are deaf.

But a profoundly deaf child with out a CI or HA will rely on ASL and not a spoken language.

Honestly, sometimes, I feel like some Deaf people are against CI's because they think they don't work. The problem is that they do work, and they work very well. Parents are lulled in to thinking they don't need ASL because the kids do so well without it. We want Miss Kat to continue with ASL because we believe that she will need it in the future. She will need interpreters for high school and college, or maybe big meetings she will go to. And the only way to use an interpreter is to know ASL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back