is is dis rude or disrespectful in the deaf culture?

pink-studs

Reaction score
:wave:

u noe when ur in the middle of saying somethihng, then u realised - opps shld of shut my mouth, so u stop or somehow steer into another direction. the same goes with signing...

is dis disrespectful when u dun finish off what u really want to say (sign) to the deaf person. Wld they take it the wrong way dat ur lookin down on them or discriminating in a way?

Yes indeed. Usually , people will beat you up if you spell incorrectly in net speak, as that is the most disrespectful thing to people who grow up as whole word readers.

I know it induces rage in me. :)

And if you stop in the middle of something, people will usually just try to determine if you are drugged or senile.

oh ok *smile* i havent gotten beaten up lol
so ...... IM talking/spelling thing is a no no.... them what about typing mistakes? my typing sux

oh ok *smile* i havent gotten beaten up lol
so ...... IM talking/spelling thing is a no no.... them what about typing mistakes? my typing sux

You do live in Australia? You are lucky, as I am willing to wager you can spell sucks.

Matilda, who doesn't come around anymore, but is an Australian, used to give these lectures on the fact that it is more difficult for deaf people to read these invented spellings.

A typo often has the right number of letters and the same structure and the brain just skips over it as if it were the right word.

A typo often has the right number of letters and the same structure and the brain just skips over it as if it were the right word.

yeah my teacher tld me something about dat, (here i go again) lol

she sed ur brains dun read each letter spelt in the word. it regonise the word as a whole, so if u were to forget a letter or 1 letter is wrong:lol:, the brain still can pick up hhehehehe

I find it disrespectful as an English teacher, not as a deaf person. :D

Somebody is spending too much time on the I Can Has Cheezburger site. It's funny there because "they" are cats.

Somebody is spending too much time on the I Can Has Cheezburger site. It's funny there because "they" are cats.

:laugh2: Good one. I just gave up and don't read this girl's posts now since it is very difficult to decipher. :shrug:

:lol:

I am used to it-- I spent 9+ years running on the Internet... on gaming forums and in *coughs*hacker-based IRCs.

I am not a fan of using improper English because... it gets tiring after awhile.

yeah my teacher tld me something about dat, (here i go again) lol

she sed ur brains dun read each letter spelt in the word. it regonise the word as a whole, so if u were to forget a letter or 1 letter is wrong:lol:, the brain still can pick up hhehehehe

My teacher told me something about that. Here I go again. Hahaha. She said your brain read each letter spelled in the word. It recognizes the word as a whole, so if you were to forget a letter or got a letter wrong, the brain still pick it up. :p

Better, Botts?

My teacher told me something about that. Here I go again. Hahaha. She said your brain read each letter spelled in the word. It recognizes the word as a whole, so if you were to forget a letter or got a letter wrong, the brain still pick it up. :p

Better, Botts?

I love you Souggy. You are a young person with good taste and sensibility. :)

Souggy, that was great!

The fact of the matter is, aren't today's young people learning spelling skills? I have a daughter who can't spell worth a darn, but she has learning problems, and not because she wasn't taught. We still go over the spelling rules (I home school my kids) and she still has problems. She also never learned to read until she was 10. It was the Closed Captioning on the TV that opened that door for her.

I would hope that Pink-studs has the intellect that means she really can spell and she's just "stuck" on Text Message shorthand. I don't think AD is the place for that shorthand for a full message.

souggy said:

The same phenomenon happens with writing. That's why people can pretty much raed tihs wihtout hseitation.

Yes indeed. Usually , people will beat you up if you spell incorrectly in net speak, as that is the most disrespectful thing to people who grow up as whole word readers.

I know it induces rage in me. :)

And if you stop in the middle of something, people will usually just try to determine if you are drugged or senile.
:rofl:

Better, Botts?

recongises FAIL!

I am writing in Australian english :cool2:

My oldest boy.....(*%$#@*&!!)... talks in slang and writes...."The Prez Bam sez ....."....etc., etc. and gives me "one-liners, one word" at times. Well, I got sick of it and just told him to shut up if he couldn't read, speak and write English.....My other 2 boys are fine, know better!

There is a time and a place for IM/netspeak/l33tsp33k. It was designed to be used when limited characters are allowed or there is limited time available to reply; such as IM'ing.

Forums are different. No one is breathlessly waiting in realtime for your reply, nor is there a character limit (well there is but it's HUGE). So take your time, think about what you want to say, and type it out. After all, one survey found Deaf people would rather have CLEAR communication than world peace.

Back