Is God Real

Status
Not open for further replies.
faith is about believing something without proof. if you question faith, the entire idea of faith comes crumbling down. you can doubt...sure, but to honestly question faith is to unravel it.

its no longer faith, its simply going through the motions and faking it...which is what alot of christians do.

Ariakkas said:
lisamarie....is it possible that the couple saw your conversation...saw that you were doubting your faith...and took advantage of that to try and force their beliefs back onto you?

this is the difference between a theist and an atheist...theist see proof where an atheist does not. Theist never question, atheists do.

zookeeper...when a good thing happens, its a gift from god...your ex-husband beats your son for 2 hours straight...eh thats his fault..he has free will. that is such a cop out. how can god get credit for all the good, and no blame for the bad??!?!?

god is real in the sense that an idea or a belief is real. god the idea tm, can inspire great things...is there some omnipotent being sitting up in heaven watching us all suffer...no..sorry

No.. they know none of sign. Beside its impossible for them to see us because the room was dim and i talked where they cant see me..

zookeeper4321 said:
I'm starting this thread because of the responses I have gotten to my comments elsewhere. I just want you guys to know where I'm coming from. I consider myself an Agnostic because I believe there is a remote possibility that God exists even thought I don't believe in the Bible at all. I was raised by a pentecostal minister and always believed as a kid. I started to question things as I aged and people presented other ideas to me. What sealed it for me was when my 1st husband almost killed my oldest son. He beat him for 2 hours straight while I was gone. He kicked him in the ribs, hit his head against the wall, picked him up by his ears, and drug him down the stairs by his arm. This was 8 years ago and I still can't talk about it without bawling. I was always taught that God could preform miracles and intervene but chose to do so when his divine intelligence felt it was best. I was also told that he didn't treat us like pupets because he gave us free will. Maybe he would allow the father to make the choice to be violent or not, but I was raised to believe that children were inocent in the eyes of God. So did God choose to let this happen? If there is a God and he could have helped my son and chose not to I don't want anything to do with him. After all of this I read The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine which convinced me that the Bible is full of contradictions. Therefore I remain Agnostic. If anyone wants to try and explain these things or convert me feel free. My parents would love nothing more than to see me back in church. I just can't see it.

I am sorry it happened to you and your son. Everyone I mean everyone has/had a bad experience. It is cursed for some reason.

I wish God never healed me from my so called near death at 2 but God did. I wonder why He made me stay alive when I got hit by a car (nothing happened to me) while others died. I wonder why He protected me many times since then and not others. I am still here because it is His will that I am here and He makes sure I did not forgot Him. It hurts me alot to see many people suffers which anger me many times. I know God are able to protect them but He did not. He has His own reasons for this. I do not understand this at all. Why do some people suffer and others don't?

If God is our heavenly father wouldn't he do anything to protect his children? I would throw myself in front of a train for B even today and he's 18 now, but God wouldn't help him as a little kid? I just can't reconcile that. If I had been there when it happened I damn sure would have helped him, or died trying.

Ariakkas said:
faith is about believing something without proof. if you question faith, the entire idea of faith comes crumbling down. you can doubt...sure, but to honestly question faith is to unravel it.

The problem with what you're saying here is that even a lot of things we say we have proven are things we're accepting on probability or trying to extrapolate into the future where we could get it wrong (just watch the weather forecast to see some examples of THAT ;) ). Ultimately you're not going to be make decisions at all if you demand 100% proof for everything.

Basically, you're playing the odds by asserting there is no god--given that, it would seem that an agnostic stance would be more reasonable for a person who has not felt a direct influence from God in their life. Even making no decision is more reasonable under that circumstance...so I must ask you, why is it that you claim conclusively that there is no God, rather than taking the agnostic view?

zookeeper4321 said:
If God is our heavenly father wouldn't he do anything to protect his children? I would throw myself in front of a train for B even today and he's 18 now, but God wouldn't help him as a little kid? I just can't reconcile that. If I had been there when it happened I damn sure would have helped him, or died trying.

Some would say God did something very much to that effect in Christ's intervention--physical death continues but is rendered a temporary annoyance rather than a permanent tragedy.

Again I'd mention the free-will issue. I can't pretend to know what your experience is, so you should ask this question for yourself without taking an answer from me. I will give my thought but you should answer for yourself, privately. You don't have to tell me what you answer, so don't worry. :)

Here's the question: What do you think the worst crime would be to commit, assuming you were all-powerful?

I don't know about you, but I think THE worst crime possible would be to destroy a person's free will--which destroys the soul and the identity entirely. Even when we are physically hurt, we still have the capacity to choose how we will move on from the situation. Can you imagine never being able to make a choice again? Would you even still be "you"?

Reba said:
Religion cannot save anyone; only Jesus Christ can save.
Religion means NOTHING to me, but Jesus Christ means MUCH to me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back