Is "Deaf from Birth" a Minority Around Here?

I guess I think so my mom told me I birth deaf i think so!

Huh? I'm prelingually deaf :shock: but I wasn't born deaf not like 'em can't talk. :dunno:

I was always considered HOH at birth, but a recent check of all my medical records now states that I was technically deaf at birth. Turns out what we thought was a mild loss, was actually a moderate loss.

I was born HOH but was not called HOH until I was 7 years old. My doctors could not had been very bright to see I was HOH !

Deaf at birth, 60-70 dB loss, and because of the neglect to save my residual hearing, am now R-105 dB and L-108 dB, profound deaf.

I was born HOH but was not called HOH until I was 7 years old. My doctors could not had been very bright to see I was HOH !

I have to wonder what the heck they have been teaching EN&T doctors in university. :shock:

I think Whatdidyousay is in her 60's or older so the doctors in '30s / '40s / '50s were not that knowledgeable about deafness. (I may add... and still today!)

I think Whatdidyousay is in her 60's or older so the doctors in '30s / '40s / '50s were not that knowledgeable about deafness. (I may add... and still today!)

Actually did you know that until the '70's a lot of mildly hoh kids were misdx as mentally handicapped?

Actually did you know that until the '70's a lot of mildly hoh kids were misdx as mentally handicapped?

That would explained why my mother 'test' me by having me matching one of my hair ribbons to one of my dresses. Also she had me turned my buidling blocks up to show all animals, all objects, all captial letters or all lower capital letters.

:deaf: Deaf from birth though with some residual hearing. Some people would say I was HOH from birth because I tried to be hearing since that was all I knew. I don't like to associate "HOH" with myself anymore. Because of my struggle to be hearing growing up, it has too many bad connotations for me.

Most likely from birth in my case. Definitely inherited (father and paternal grandfather) but not taken seriously for a very long time because every time I failed a screening someone said "oh, he recently had an ear infection, it's probably that" and didn't look further. So probably but not certain.

I definitely was not DEAF at birth. That condition "actualized" in Right ear- February 19, 1992 and Left ear-December 20, 2006.
I understand there is much more deafness happening after birth re: Latedeafeneds.

I'm also deaf since birth although it's still unknown if I was born deaf or became deaf right after birth due to jaundice complications.

I was born deaf but was never DEAF (i.e. no ability to hear sound at all) nor Deaf (i.e sign language user) as I was only exposed to oral language while growing up. Recently my hearing loss increased and I was pushed out of the hearing world so I feel like a late-deafened.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve 8310)

I was born +120db SSD (right side) from birth. Constant ear infections lead to being hoh on my left side aswell.

I'm now +120db deaf right & mild/mod flux hoh left as well as having APD.

Back