Is Deaf Culture still High Context?

I find bias interesting. I recently reread Lovecraft's short stories and some of the details in his stories had me wondering if he had a bias against poor whites and blacks.

Oh yeah, he was well known for being extremely racist.

Bias is very interesting; particularly the origin and the belief system that supports it.

It's also useful for noticing in yourself when you're making cognitive mistakes, to correct yourself with. After learning about the subject, I caught myself making all kinds of mistakes, which I hopefully don't do nearly as much now.

Oh yeah, he was well known for being extremely racist.

It's also useful for noticing in yourself when you're making cognitive mistakes, to correct yourself with. After learning about the subject, I caught myself making all kinds of mistakes, which I hopefully don't do nearly as much now.

Most bias is completely unconscious. If you are aware of yours, you are one step ahead of the game.

Most bias is completely unconscious. If you are aware of yours, you are one step ahead of the game.

Yeah, it helps when you know what to look for. I'm sure I don't catch all of them, but the document I linked to was great for getting me started on being able to identify them.

Don't have time to answer everything here right now, gotta go to work.

But off the top of my head.

Every form of reasoning I have ever come across is in fact valid -- That is they all produce useful and workable answers for the individual and the society which uses them.

Often different types of thinking will produce the same or similar results.

Some types of thinking produce a certain kind of results more effectively than another.

Just as individuals tend to scoff at other people who do not "Think like I do," cultures tend to suppress or persecute ways of thinking that are not generally accepted by the majority of the culture.

We live in an overall culture that is extremely low context and produces all the by products of this type of thinking.

Many of the minority cultures in our society are high context, some are so high context they are barely able to communicate with the dominant culture.

So far in this thread I have looked at four methods of thinking.

High Context / Low Context

Concrete / Abstract

There is no need to discuss Concrete / Abstract thinking in a thread about contextual thinking. They really have nothing to do with each other. I included Concrete / Abstract thinking because Bottesini is a concrete thinker and I tend to be an abstract thinker. I have a great deal of respect for her and I want to include her in the discussion.

Before we get into personalities here, or get into any debate about who is "Right" or who is "Wrong" let me state my personal view toward these methods of thinking -- And others not mentioned in this thread so far.

I see different methods of thinking as a mental tool box. I choose and combine the tools I need to yield me the best possible results for the situation I find myself involved in. To use low context lawyer-speak these include, but are not limited to, semantics, systems approach reasoning, dichotomous reasoning, high context thinking, abstract thinking, concrete thinking, and yes, low context thinking. (Logic is appropriate in its place.)

My preferred forms of thinking are High Context and systems approach.

Where we get into trouble:

Low context societies tend to exalt the individual and his / her needs and accomplishments to the detriment of, and sometimes the destruction of, the group.

High context societies tend to exalt the needs of the group to the point of total suppression of the individual.

Yes, someone needs to apply reason to their thinking and find a middle ground.

As a discussion- interesting re high vs low vs fluid vs? on one's life?
How does the previous impact one's perception of being "deaf/Deaf"?

Implanted- Sunnbrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

High context culture and low context culture, is just sociology.

Not sure I would say "just". Every culture falls somewhere between the highest possible context and the lowest possible context -- and it effects every facet of the culture -- Including, or even especially who is "IN" and who is "OUT" and what the consequences are when the individual differs from the "Norm".

You seemed to be talking about individual thinking before.

I cannot talk about culture, the group, without talking about the individuals within it. I know it can be done, but I cannot. In the end culture is about the majority of individuals thinking one way and trying to get the minorities to think the same way.

There will always be individuals who can't or won't think like the majority.

Every culture and subculture has an 'Ideal' individual who is thought to represent it. Someone who "Thinks the right thoughts, does the right things." In short every culture tells its members how they "should" think.

Standard American hearing culture says its individuals should be independent, think logically, and strive for wealth which are all low context values.

So yes, you can say I was talking about how individuals think, but is about how they think in relation to the culture they belong to.

Deaf culture depending on how you look at it does not qualify for high context designation because it is very divided. It is not all for one and one for all, and all for the common good.

No culture is completely High Context or Completely Low context -- And all cultures will vary. But there is more to High Context culture than "All for one and one for all."

Thinking.

Low Context people adore logic. High Context people find it difficult to understand.

Time, relationships, and business.

Low context people will think about their marketing agendas while playing tag with their children, go to parties to "make contacts" and think "teaching junior how to play football so he can succeed and be a better man" is spending quality time with him.

High Context people will think about their families while trying to concentrate on marketing agendas. Goes to parties to find out how everyone is doing while having a great time visiting, and would just as soon play "meaningless" games with their children that are fun to play rather than try to program them to become quarterbacks.

Before you seemed to be talking about concrete and abstract thinkers.

Oooops. Don't know how that came across. You can be a concrete thinker and still be either High or Low context and the same is true with abstract thinking.

Most abstract thinkers I have met believe they are smarter than concrete thinkers, but in truth most of them don't know how to tell the difference between an abstract thought and a concrete thought. A surprising number are too stupid to grasp the concept -- And it is one of the simplest ones I know.

If you can put it in a barrel and wheel it to the back yard then you are talking about something concrete. If you cannot then it is abstract.

The more concrete something is the more you can be sure you and the person you are talking to are talking about the same thing.

A.

If you are talking about an open end 1/2 wrench you can be pretty sure you are both talking about the same thing.

B.

If you are talking about grandmothers and yours was a sweet little old lady who baked cookies and the person you are talking to had a screaming harridan -- You get the picture.

C.

If you are talking about freedom you might be talking about censorship and the other person might be talking about worship.

Concrete thinkers are well grounded and abstract thinkers confuse them.

Abstract thinkers need to put more effort into staying grounded -- or they confuse themselves and don't even realize they have done so.

I understood what he meant. In my circle, we just called it elitism-- not by the dictionary meaning, but by the Internet culture definition. And the Deaf is definitely high-context, division or no division. Actually, the divisions in itself create a need for such thinking.

It would be more fair to say immersion in the mainstream via technology is reverting the D/deaf people back to low context since there's less need to associate with their own people.

Thank you for that and the thoughts behind it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

I enjoy it. It is the only way I get to find out how much I actually do know about the subjects I have read / studied / enjoyed. In this thread I am constantly surprising myself.

I don't know much about hearing people nor am I a scholar in hearing people thinking, so if you don't mind,I have a question.

I could say the same thing and I am hearing.

I am also an American.

When I speak about hearing people I am referring to the dominant culture. Those who have the greatest impact on our value system. Those who "set the standards". White, Hearing, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant.

When I speak of Deaf people I am speaking of American Deaf people who use ASL. Specifically those whose values I learned as a child.

There are hearing cultures that make Deaf Culture look low context by comparison. In the first post on this thread check out the link to Amish Culture.

I am sure there are Deaf Cultures that are Low Context though I do not know of any.

Don't hearing people gang up in high context groups to escape the limits of the low context culture? Or are the culture in different interest groups hearing people socialize into, also low context in thinking?

Depends on the individual. Everyone I know gathers into groups of like minded people. Some treat the Low Context culture as though it were a religion, others tolerate it the best they can, and some hate it. I am convinced that a lot of our "drug culture" problem is people trying to escape the intolerable pressure of "Getting out there and making it on your own."

I am also curious if it's only downsides with low context thinking, no upsides.

There are a lot of upsides.

Exaltation of the individual accomplishment over the needs of the group has inspired people to achieve who otherwise might have been happy to have led a quiet uninspired life.

Advances in technology we take for granted might never have happened in a high context society -- or would have been greatly delayed. Would Ford have invented the assembly line in a high context culture?

Logic allows us to view humans, plants, and animals in an unemotional, unbiased, mechanical way that has produced advances that are both marvelous, beneficial, and horrifying.

One thing you and I have in common is an appreciation of the net -- Neither of us want to give it up. And it is doubtful it would be here in a world that did not have low context thinking.

Low Context thinking is valuable as a mental tool.

Is there something like a balance between high context thinking and low context thinking, where the majority of americans are unablanced?

Currently most Americans are unbalanced toward Low Context Culture that is toxic to the individual. Most of those that are not Low Context think they should be and believe there is something wrong with themselves if they are not.

Read the lyrics to this song. I think it typifies both the drives and dissatisfactions of dominant American as it currently stands.

Cats In The Cradle Lyrics by Harry Chapin

This has not always been the case. During WWII soldiers fought "For Mom and Apple Pie." Hardly a Low Context aspiration.

My opinion is that the cold war polarized us. The Russian version of Communism was not a High Context society: But they did believe in the total subjugation of the individual "for the greater good."

The U.S. was already pretty Low Context. As a society our desire to "Fight the Commies" drove us to be as unlike them as possible. If the Commies were going to crush the individual for the greater good then Americans were going to bludgeon the individual into becoming an over achiever par excellence and the greater good be damned.

I believe cultural balance can be achieved, and in fact is necessary, but how we get there from here ...

Wish I had an answer for that one.

A reason this topic is interesting to me, is because I once watched a vlog by Carl Schroeder, where he talked about training the minds of deaf kids. He used your three logic sentences as a way to play with language. My question is if he is aware of this kind of logic as a part of low context thinking, failing to notice the healty signs of a kid who rejects the low context logic.

I balk at "training the minds..."

I do not really have a problem with logic -- It is the devotees who espouse it. They are very judgmental about those who do not use it, they treat it as though it is the embodiment of truth, and see themselves as being superior mentalities.

I see it as a mental tool that can be taught and can be learned.

I do not want my mind or anyone else's mind to be "trained, indoctrinated, programmed, or brainwashed."

But...

I would have to see the vlog itself to see what I can make of it.

Will for sure do some reading on this.

Read slowly.

Pause to think often.

Take "time between" to let your subconscious mind process the information.

Have a great journey.

To start, I'm going off of the assumption, which wasn't ever formally defined, but seems to be implied, that "High Context" means "meaning is required to be found by looking at the context it was used in" while "Low Context" means "meaning is self-contained and independent of its context".

If this is incorrect, please correct me and disregard the rest of my post until we're on the same page.

First off I would like to thank you for explaining the Low Context position on logic and doing it so well. Even when I was young and thought logic was the only route to intelligent discussion I had problems with it. I listed logic as a hobby into my twenties, even after I discovered there were other valid ways of thinking.

What it boils down to is this...

If, when you read over StSapphire's post about the syllogism, her analysis makes clear and obvious sense to you, then logic is probably your natural mode of thinking; it will be easier for you to learn than it is for many, and you should find a great deal of satisfaction in having mastered it.

Mind you, pretty much anyone can master logic if you set your mind to do so. And so far as I know it is not "easy" for anyone just a lot easier if logic is your natural bent.

But if you find StSapphire's post difficult to relate too, and one of the others easy to relate too then Logic is probably not natural for you and it will be more difficult for you to master and you may not be completely satisfied with having done so.

Reading about logic will certainly never hurt you.

To start, I'm going off of the assumption, which wasn't ever formally defined, but seems to be implied, that "High Context" means "meaning is required to be found by looking at the context it was used in" while "Low Context" means "meaning is self-contained and independent of its context".

If this is incorrect, please correct me and disregard the rest of my post until we're on the same page.

We are on the same page here.

drphil described Low Context very well when he typed, "Content is everything."

Whereas semantics looks for the meanings embedded in and implied by the content.

Could you go over again how "high context" leads to "concrete thinking" (at least as your defined it)? Also, before getting too far, could you also explain how you mesh this sort of thinking with non-physical sensations and things, such as gravity, atoms, magnetism and the internet?

Namely, you can't "see" any of these things, nor (for most) can you "feel" them, and the representations you can see are objectively false or extremely oversimplified. How do you know they're real? Or do you think they aren't?

Here we miscommunicated. I understand how it happened, I wasn't clear.

Contextual thinking​

High Context thinking (Include whatever it takes to achieve understanding)

Low Context thinking. (Let the words speak for themselves)

Conceptual thinking​

Two people are looking a Mt. Rushmore.

Concrete thinker (I see a mountain with carvings on it)

Abstract thinker (I see a tribute to American leadership)

Their only commonality is that at their extremes they have a hard time communicating with each other. There are abstract thinkers who are unable to think concretely and vice versa. Often they disdain each other and disparage the other's thought processes.

The interesting part is that when there is a problem both the abstract thinker and the concrete thinker will end up with the same or similar answers. When they do come up with widely differing solutions most of the time both solutions will be workable.

They just go about their thinking differently.

A conversation about logic can become pretty abstract -- And if I don't keep myself grounded I can get a ways out there.

Bottesini has stated categorically she is a concrete thinker.

Seen as I respect the value of concrete thinking and respect her intelligence it would be rude of me not to present the most concrete example of High Context analysis of the syllogism that I can. Later I present the more abstract version.

You will notice both reach the same conclusion.

Low Context logic on the other hand only admits of one form of analysis -- Its own. So you cannot do the same thing as high context.

You guys are wearing out my brain cells.

I'm going to go take a nap.

Anthropologist Edward T. Hall’s theory of high- and low-context culture helps us better understand the powerful effect culture has on communication. A key factor in his theory is context. This relates to the framework, background, and surrounding circumstances in which communication or an event takes place. The following summary highlights the problems facing low-context North Americans when they interact with people from high-context cultures.

High-context cultures (including much of the Middle East, Asia, Africa, and South America) are relational, collectivist, intuitive, and contemplative. This means that people in these cultures emphasize interpersonal relationships. Developing trust is an important first step to any business transaction. According to Hall, these cultures are collectivist, preferring group harmony and consensus to individual achievement. And people in these cultures are less governed by reason than by intuition or feelings. Words are not so important as context, which might include the speaker’s tone of voice, facial expression, gestures, posture—and even the person’s family history and status. A Japanese manager explained his culture’s communication style to an American: “We are a homogeneous people and don’t have to speak as much as you do here. When we say one word, we understand ten, but here you have to say ten to understand one.” High-context communication tends to be more indirect and more formal. Flowery language, humility, and elaborate apologies are typical.

Low-context cultures (including North America and much of Western Europe) are logical, linear, individualistic, and action-oriented. People from low-context cultures value logic, facts, and directness. Solving a problem means lining up the facts and evaluating one after another. Decisions are based on fact rather than intuition. Discussions end with actions. And communicators are expected to be straightforward, concise, and efficient in telling what action is expected. To be absolutely clear, they strive to use precise words and intend them to be taken literally. Explicit contracts conclude negotiations. This is very different from communicators in high-context cultures who depend less on language precision and legal documents. High-context business people may even distrust contracts and be offended by the lack of trust they suggest.

Chapter 1 Lecture: High-Context & Low-Context Culture Styles

I researched this a little and found this to be the most understandable explanation to me.

Deaf culture looks more low context to me since saying exactly what you mean is very important.

I was amused to find out that low context thinkers prefer written communication about all other forms as it is so exact. :lol: That describes me.

Deaf culture looks more low context to me since saying exactly what you mean is very important.

Japanese can be just as blunt as ASLers, so why are they still considered as high context in the URL you linked back to? You need to look beyond the mode of languages, and take a look at the cultural values to determine the answer.

I am sorry, but even though the posters on AllDeaf can be low context, I wouldn't say the Deaf culture itself is low context. The collective values of the Deaf trumps all.

Yeah, it helps when you know what to look for. I'm sure I don't catch all of them, but the document I linked to was great for getting me started on being able to identify them.

Yes, it was a good article for introduction to the process. I hope more people read it. It really does help one to grow and expand when one can recognize and correct their own biases.

Chapter 1 Lecture: High-Context & Low-Context Culture Styles

I researched this a little and found this to be the most understandable explanation to me.

I was amused to find out that low context thinkers prefer written communication about all other forms as it is so exact. :lol: That describes me.

I see you went to the source: anthroplogical psychology! Good for you! I was going to go to storage this weekend and see if I could dig out some of my old cultural and linguistic anthroplogy books to find an explanation, but you did a great job and saved me the trouble.

For those that think this is not an important issue...there is nothing more important that understanding communication of another. Without that understanding, communication does not occur. These are issues that I have to be aware of in practice, as different cultures must be communicated with and approached differently in order for therapy to be effective for them. Otherwise, misunderstandings occur, and no one benefits. Language has a huge impact on culture, culture has a huge impact on perception, perception has a huge impact on reaction.

I think I'm about to turn this into a lecture topic. Better just drop it.:giggle: But thanks for looking further, Bott.

Answered earlier -- Yes.

Could you go over again how "high context" leads to "concrete thinking" (at least as your defined it)? Also, before getting too far, could you also explain how you mesh this sort of thinking with non-physical sensations and things, such as gravity, atoms, magnetism and the internet?

Namely, you can't "see" any of these things, nor (for most) can you "feel" them, and the representations you can see are objectively false or extremely oversimplified. How do you know they're real? Or do you think they aren't?

I answered the first paragraph of this earlier. Contextual thinking and Conceptual thinking have little or nothing to do with each other except that Concrete thinkers may find it easier to think in Low Context terms.

My experience with Concrete thinkers is they prefer yes/no either/or situations while Abstract thinkers may not even notice they are in a situation with no clear questions and no clear answers.

As to the second paragraph:

I personally am not a concrete thinker. I can, and often do, think in concrete terms as there are many things in life that are dealt with best using this form of thinking. I can only discuss it to a degree. For completely accurate answers perhaps you should address your questions to a concrete thinker.

First: Gravity is VERY physical. It can be felt and sensed. Just fall from a tree. When people panic while under water or snow they often go the wrong way -- But I was taught by a survivalist that if you first conquer your panic you will almost always know which way is up.

Magnetism is easy. You know it the way the first scientists knew it. You throw some metal filings down by a magnet and watch them line up.

In other words it does not matter how you think -- If you stub your toe in the dark you know something is there. Much of science is knowledge of things -- NOT by observation of the thing itself but by observing the effect of the thing and then chasing down the thing that caused the effect.

It may or may not require an abstract thinker to postulate an atom -- But once you show a concrete thinker how manipulating atoms produces results they will accept them as real.

What does logic have to do with context? If by that you mean that in formal logic you can make statements that are logical conclusions from other statements, I can somewhat see where you're going, but even in formal logic, the implication is that you certainly still need the context to assume that your starting premises that you're coming to conclusions on are actually valid and equal. (More on this later.)

Logic has nothing to do with context -- Which in fact is the point. Logic has to do with the least possible context.

The bolded part:

What you need to use on the premises to assure they are valid is not context but empirical referencing. I often call myself an empirical thinker -- and most people (including college graduates) think I am talking about the emperor, but I am actually talking about "checking it against physical reality." If it can be measured I will measure it -- I will not guess.

You already missed an important part -

Also wrong.

Please...

I missed nothing and I am not wrong.

I studied logic under the assumption it was the only valid way to come to a "true and valid" conclusion. Then I discovered semantics which at that time was a hole in the wall subject in very few colleges and was a relatively easy subject to master. Now it has become a horrendous nightmare where it is almost impossible to find what branch of semantics you are looking for. After that I discovered that while logic is the dominant form of reasoning in the western world there are many others. Logic is not alone.

IF I were attempting to teach, or perhaps even to disprove, logic THEN I would have missed points and I would be wrong.

But I am doing neither. I am showing an alternative form(s) of reasoning. Ones(s) that produce equally valid conclusions using different methods.

I did not choose logic because I disrespect logic or because I think logic is wrong or invalid.

I chose logic because:

A. it is the preferred form of reasoning for Low Context thinkers​

B. High Context thinkers need to know they are NOT stupid because logic is extremely difficult for them to understand.​

C. High Context thinkers need to know there are valid forms of reasoning out there that are much easier for them to understand and relate too.

Yeah, you missed the entire point that the logic class was trying to teach, namely the logical fallacy of linking a negation ("No cat") with a positive assertion ("has five legs"), as well as simply making contorted statements in order to seemingly come to nonsensical conclusions. This is akin to the math game where you start with "x = y" and then cancel each of them out and conclude "therefore 1 = 2". The point of the exercise isn't for you to pick at the wording, and you're missing the lesson (given the context) if you allow that to stop you.

Did not miss the point. I passed the class.

I made the point which you just reinforced:

Namely that a High Context thinker has a lot of difficulty "suspending their disbelief" in order to master logic. The study of logic requires intelligent people to accept what they see as outlandish propositions in the hopes that future rewards will be worth it in the form of improved thinking.

And then the bolded part: It is implied that High Context semantic thinking is somehow inferior to the thinking of Low Context people who find logic a natural form of reasoning.

I suppose it is somewhat just that some semanticists consider logic to be a lower form of reasoning -- But I don't agree. I think it is just a different form of reasoning suited to a different type of thinker.

Maybe, if they're stupid. But then that's true, regardless of how your thought processes work.

Not stupid. Conditioned. If they were stupid they could not get good grades.

This is why introductory logic is taught. One of the first things you should be taught is that you can only come to a true conclusion given two important things - fully valid logic, and true premises. If you reject the premises, then of course you can reject the outcome, regardless of its veracity or not. That's why the initial statements are presented as 'givens'. Namely, you can make a valid conclusion if you start with the assumption that the givens are true.

The bolded part is the problem and the point:

This is NOT the only way to come to a true conclusion.

This is the only way you can come to a LOGICALLY true conclusion.

To come to a semantically true conclusion you use different approaches.

To come to an empirically true conclusion you use still different approaches.

To come to a dichotomously true conclusion you use still different approaches.

To come to a systemically true conclusion you use a systems approach.

To come to a mathematically true conclusion you might use Boolean Algebra.

To come to a problematically true conclusion you would use probability theory.

To come to an erratically true conclusion you consult Eris.

You can't if you ignore the context of using 'givens'. You have to use your imagination to expand your learning a bit.

Can you see that the part in bold is a learned response and not a thinking response from yourself. It was programmed into you by people who firmly believe, and will not accept, that there are other, equally valid, forms of reasoning out there.

It is not just asking High Context thinkers to suspend their disbelief for future gains; it is insinuating their thought processes are somehow inferior.

They should start with the presupposition that they are taking an introduction to logic class, and have been presented with idealised statements in order to teach them an introductory lesson in logic. After all, it was also never defined what "Man", "Mortal", "Cat" and "Leg" mean.

Yes they should -- If they want to learn logic, or if they have to learn logic to get a grade -- But a lot of people, such as myself, learn logic in the mistaken belief it is the only way to achieve true and valid conclusions.

To do the latter logic is not required.

Already addressed. You're attacking the 'givens' rather than the logical issue with the presented statements. Pretend that it is objectively true that there never is, was or will be a cat that has five legs. To make this so, any cat that develops five legs is from here on defined as a "cat+" and is no longer a "cat". Do you still see what the issue with the presented syllogism is?

Not attacking. Showing an alternative approach.

I personally believe that those people teaching logic would do better to learn how best to teach it to people who are naturally differently oriented mentally than the teachers. They would be giving more respect and have greater success.

Look into Laplace's Law of Succession, which does allow for you to make predictions of the future merely given past observations. Will the sun rise tomorrow? If you've observed the sun rise every single day without fail for the 5000 years, you technically cannot be 100% certain that it will rise tomorrow. But giving only the simple options of "it will rise" and "it will not rise", you can calculate that the odds of the sun rising tomorrow, based on past observations, is roughly 1,826,250:1.

A full context thinker would say, "You need a genius to figure that out?"

Actually you do not. Even untrained Low Context thinkers can figure it out easily.

It takes a genius to explain it.

And you have to be pretty smart to understand his explanation.

But anybody can use it.

And that's without invoking anything silly like "scientific knowledge" or "definitions", which is what is done with the "all men are mortal" statements.

Scientific knowledge is not silly and most scientists use logic at some point. I think all of them are versed in it whether they use it on a regular basis or not.

Semantics is not silly. It is a scientifically proven, valid, form of reasoning.

Nope, you're just being obstinate by ignoring that the context is that of a logical statement and the statement you're dissecting isn't being suggested as a 100% factual statement about reality, but instead as an idealized situation that exists solely in your mind.

Obstinate sounds so bull headed and stubborn. Can't I just be alternative?

Something doesn't cut it, I'll grant you that...

The only thing that really doesn't cut it is the insistence by its devotees that logic is the only one true path to reason and that those who do not, or cannot, use it are somehow inferior.

Perhaps take books on "logic" with a "barrel of salt"plus an extra dose of "common sense" Nine legged cats on the loose!

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Common sense does need to be applied to logic, but to discount it entirely would be to discount all the contributions it has made to science, knowledge, etc.

Back