Is being deaf a disability or not?

Another way to put it - that because DHH people cannot rely on hearing speech or the spoken word, they are have a 'sense' as it were to 'read between the lines' and pick up the essence of what is being spoken by visual cues and body language, plus surroundings. It is very hard to lie to a DHH person, they can see right through you for the most part. That is why many are seen as blunt and straight-forward, we don't 'beat around the bush'.

Strange the above thoughts by BecLak don't appear to "arrive when one become late deafened". How does this "miraculous event happen"? Does this suggest an extensive prior study in psychology is required? What about those "deaf/Deaf/Hard of Hearing" persons don't who study psychology?
Read various comments here in Alldeaf.com?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Strange the above thoughts by BecLak don't appear to "arrive when one become late deafened". How does this "miraculous event happen"? Does this suggest an extensive prior study in psychology is required? What about those "deaf/Deaf/Hard of Hearing" persons don't who study psychology?

You have to be opened minded enough to allow it to happen. If you close out natural adaptation, you do not receive the benefits available. When you are busy living in what used to be, you can't see what could be.

I was born severely-deaf. For those who are late-deafened, it is an acquired skill as Jillio mentioned above much like speech is an acquired skill for Deaf.

You have to be opened minded enough to allow it to happen. If you close out natural adaptation, you do not receive the benefits available. When you are busy living in what used to be, you can't see what could be.

I was born severely-deaf. For those who are late-deafened, it is an acquired skill as Jillio mentioned above much like speech is an acquired skill for Deaf.

I was born with a mild to moderate hearing loss. I consider myself late-deafened since I did have somewhat acceptable hearing for so long during my "formative years". I know exactly what BekLak is speaking about and have been able to figure it out. Maybe that was another subconscious thing I learned as well as my ability to read lips so well. :hmm: I will never know. I am just thankful for what I have been able to gain and master in spite of it all. I am finding learning ASL to be more of a challenge, but then again, I don't have the time needed to devote to it with this family of mine and the things I have to devote to them.

Last edited:
I was morn with a mild to moderate hearing loss. I consider myself late-deafened since I did have somewhat acceptable hearing for so long during my "formative years". I know exactly what BekLak is speaking about and have been able to figure it out. Maybe that was another subconscious thing I learned as well as my ability to read lips so well. :hmm: I will never know. I am just thankful for what I have been able to gain and master in spite of it all. I am finding learning ASL to be more of a challenge, but then again, I don't have the time needed to devote to it with this family of mine and the things I have to devote to them.

Plus your fluid memory is shot by 46...

My experience in learning Speechreading at Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto was anything but simple.Needed lots of practice. Only a few constant sounds,English, are visible on one's lips eg "P/ B/ M" being the most prominent and other s"down one's throat"-invisible. Vowels are much more difficult of which one's "hearing" is used.

Natural adaption originates from where- one's studies? Did i miss" this" -while waiting for the Cochlear Implant process-Feb/07 to Aug/07? My adaption to my deaf condition!

Did I miss something by NOT being a member of Alldeaf.com back then?
Right-can't live your life backwards.

My experience in learning Speechreading at Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto was anything but simple. Lots of practice. Only a few constant sounds,English, are visible on one's lips eg "P/ B/ M" most prominent and other "down one's throat". Vowels are much more difficult of which one's "hearing is used".
Natural adaption originates from where- One's studies? Did i miss this while waiting for the Cochlear Implant process-Feb/07 to Aug/07? An adaption to the deaf condition!
Right-can't live your backwards.

True you can't live backwards. What is done is done. But you can go forward. Is Cdn Hearing society anything like the Deaf center I am used to? ASL available to learn? With tutors and classes, or is it just for oral deaf?

Do you have an available Deaf center ?

Last edited:
Are "hearing people" disabled because they don't use/know ASL?

Is it contingent on the use of what "standard"?

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

No, because they are capable of learning ASL without any barriers.

My experience in learning Speechreading at Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto was anything but simple.Needed lots of practice. Only a few constant sounds,English, are visible on one's lips eg "P/ B/ M" being the most prominent and other s"down one's throat"-invisible. Vowels are much more difficult of which one's "hearing" is used.

Natural adaption originates from where- one's studies? Did i miss" this" -while waiting for the Cochlear Implant process-Feb/07 to Aug/07? My adaption to my deaf condition!

Actually, P, B, and M, are among the most difficult to discern. Someone can say "Pop" or "Bob" or "Mob" and they look extremely similar.

You need the context of the sentence to figure out which of those 3 letters would actually apply.

If you are relying only on what you can discern from the mouth, then no wonder you are having difficulty. As we have tried to explain, it is more than watching someone's lips move.

Actually, P, B, and M, are among the most difficult to discern. Someone can say "Pop" or "Bob" or "Mob" and they look extremely similar.

You need the context of the sentence to figure out which of those 3 letters would actually apply.

Exactly.

..I am enlightened by others views on this topic and respectfully appreciate all viewpoints. My own awareness has increased by reading this thread.. I have yet to easily agree to what constitutes "disability". Especially when considering the "disadvantaged" aspect. As a African-American first, then woman this definition totally fits me and honestly I am not afforded certain opportunities in all areas of life..yet I do not claim any disability.
Yes, I think its very subjective. There is a high bar to meet (if you will) to be qualified as having a "disability" in my mind. Growing up, I was taught not to emphasize disabilities. Like its been mentioned its separate from being disabled. However, accommodations can be made for most disabilities. Someone who is disabled may look at another with a disability and wonder, what is the difference? If both parties do not possess any given "ability" who can say your disabled because you have two disabilities and I have one. The only person in this scenario meeting the criteria of disabled is one who cannot complete any activities of daily living. If you are so blessed to have the ability to site your own skills in excess of any disability...why claim the disability?..I get being at a disadvantage. In some way , aren't we all?.. How the term is defined, is partially cultural :)

As for the assertion that P/B/M are the most difficult to speechread-easy to test-do it! The other component of SpeechReading is one's hearing. This is from my CHS material. Anyone can disagree if one wishes. That is why they have stressed one must pay attention-all the time to contextualize all conversations. Not to 'bog down" in partial sounds.

The above relates only to English

Of course, not easy to effect!.

Last edited:
As for the assertion that P/B/M are the most difficult to read-easy to test-do it! The other component of SpeechReading is one's hearing. This is from my CHS material. Anyone can disagree if one wishes. That is why they have stressed one must pay attention-all the time to contextualize conversations. Not to 'bog down" in partial sounds.

Of course, no as easy as written.

Hearing is the least influential factor in speech reading. If it were of primary importance it would be known as "speech hearing".

Back